Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

1956 16' Bubble
Dallas , Oregon
That Is really cool---just really. Cool.

Old 02-02-2013, 09:46 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Mountainous , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by the544man View Post
That Is really cool---just really. Cool.
Thanks, Ted.

Sue,

You were right to search the "reclaim" section of 3form's web site, it's the only affordable way to make this idea work unless you have unlimited resources. The odds of finding something that you like that is 1/4 inch thick, (this thickness fits the screen holders nicely and is thick enough to be stable), is the right degree of transparency (there are five degrees of opacity that the panels are finished in, sandstone is the best), the organic material runs parallel to the side you want it to. It's a high end design company with high end prices but I like the fact that the plastic is recycled milk cartons and some of the organic material is farmed in Africa, creating a much needed economy.

I cut the pieces for my windows on a table saw and just hand sanded the edges. On the rock guard / awning / window treatment piece, I built a frame and attached it with a piano hinge under the drip edge on the front of the trailer.

P.S. I will be presenting at this years restoration rally in Albuquerque in early May. I don't know what I'll call it, maybe; "How an average schmuck who knew nothing about restoring Airstreams got in way over his head...but survived".

WBCCI#11112

Sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #59
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post

P.S. I will be presenting at this years restoration rally in Albuquerque in early May. I don't know what I'll call it, maybe; "How an average schmuck who knew nothing about restoring Airstreams got in way over his head...but survived".
Okay , seriously, I saw your trailer at the restoration rally last year and if you're the average schmuck, then I want to be one! you have one sweeet trailer!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:26 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Rural, blink and you'll miss it , Missouri
Thanks for all of the great pics and advice. I made it to the fabric stores today. Got blackout lining for 40% off. Touched every bolt of fabric in two stores and just haven't found "the" thing. Will keep looking. And dreaming.

Eljay

1968 Tradewind Double.
eljay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:52 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
For interior fabrics, consider discount sites like:

New Toto
and
FabricGuru

This will send samples.
Old 02-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #62
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Safari Curtains

Well, my AS is not vintage, but I saw this thread just as I was putting the finishing touches on my curtains, so I thought I'd share. Actually, my sister did most of the sewing and helped me pick out the fabric, but I did the tedious task of attaching the top and bottom slides. I have the midnight sun interior with aluminum walls and wanted something to brighten/cozy things up. I love the colors in the striped throw pillows (shown in the picture), so we used that as a starting place. We used some nice thick ivory lining on the back for a little insulation, privacy, and to extend the life of the curtains; then I made the little valances you see on the smaller windows to match those on the panoramic. I attached the valances with velcro to the blinds because our AS is still new enough to us to not want to drill holes . I have loved looking at everyone's pictures, so here's mine:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aggie 011.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	178157   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aggie 017.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	598.3 KB
ID:	178158  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Aggie 010.JPG
Views:	146
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	178159   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aggie 015.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	178160  

Old 02-05-2013, 08:01 AM   #63
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Rollster: Very nice job your - sister has great talent! Thanks for sharing!

Art
Old 02-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #64
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
I'm still thinking about how I will do mine...
Your tow vehicle needs a little work too!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #65
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
here is your TV. LOL
Attached Images

Old 02-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Ok, Ok, MaxAb, listen I like your bathroom, all but that sky blue towel. I know its your bathroom but...

Nice counter top. Hmm, chocolate or tan or pumpkin towel maybe .... hey just having fun with you.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:08 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Rollster said:
Quote:
I have the midnight sun interior with aluminum walls and wanted something to brighten/cozy things up.
I have the same trim colors. I've been so busy fixing maintaining and everything else that I haven't been able to get at decor stuff. I like your redo. Question, did you make the new curtains off of the old white canvas looking stock ones as templates or are yours pleated?

I am thinking about going a different direction- more monochromatic. I don't like blah but I brought in my color wheel (used to work part time as a design person) and nothing much matches the midnight sun but basic black, tan, gold, etc. that is a BRIGHT color. I want little to no pattern almost solid in color. It looks like you have a different finish on your cabinets. Mine is tropical oak. That too, for me, is causing some matching issues with its pinkish tone (cool color overtone) to the warm tones of the mid sun. At any rate, like the red in your curtains!
Old 02-09-2013, 08:35 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Hi Rodsterinfl, No, I didn't use the old curtains for a pattern; I just cut the new material (which is pretty heavy) one and a half times the window width, so that the curtains, with some coaxing, hold the pleated shape. Like you, I was originally thinking of using curtains that were more neutral in color to go with the midnight sun, but I'm also going for a Safari (sort of African) theme and saw this geometric print and loved it. I just hope I don't get sick of it! Oh, and my cabinets are also tropical oak-I think they just look different in the lighting in the photos. Good luck with your project. I hope you post pictures when you're done!
Old 02-09-2013, 09:40 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
I will post some pics eventually, thanks. Hey if you get sick of the curtains you can always make some more! Speaking of Safari 'theme' there are some really neat fabrics along that line. There is a woven look in sort of a maroon with elephants and a grassy looking stuff that would give some pillows a woven look. Interesting thought- both were at JoAnn's.

We will see. A few weeks ago I began contemplating changing things. I DID just recently change the bedspreads out with some IKEA stuff and really like it but that was more out of need. I did go with a preferred decor choice but I have yet to really take it all on.

I just notices that you live in St. Augustine! We may be neighbors in the future.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
...Sky Blue Towel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
Ok, Ok, MaxAb, listen I like your bathroom, all but that sky blue towel. I know its your bathroom but...

Nice counter top. Hmm, chocolate or tan or pumpkin towel maybe .... hey just having fun with you.
...busted for the bath towel? I thought you'd at least get me for the Flat Screen that I mounted on the ceiling in the bedroom!

WBCCI: 2197; AIR #: 36503; TAC #: NM-5

MaxAB is offline   Reply With Quote