Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Tai O , Lantau Island
Sheep wool insulation and how many sq ft of wall space?

I have searched the forum, but the last post I see is from like 2014 and a lot has changed in the world since then.

Has anyone decided on sheep wool insulation? Even if just in the walls and not the belly pan?

I really like the many benefits, and I see that there is a handmade rv company that uses it, many thow use it, and that many van conversions use it, but still searching for airstream experiences.

Also how do you determine how much square footage of wall space you have with all the curved walls. Ours is a ‘86 34’ excella I think actually 30’ interior.

Thanks
MCPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
I wouldn't use fiberglass but rock wool would work good.
Old 02-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Tai O , Lantau Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by r carl View Post
I wouldn't use fiberglass but rock wool would work good.

I’m talking about actual sheep wool.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCPC View Post
I have searched the forum, but the last post I see is from like 2014 and a lot has changed in the world since then.

Has anyone decided on sheep wool insulation? Even if just in the walls and not the belly pan?

I really like the many benefits, and I see that there is a handmade rv company that uses it, many thow use it, and that many van conversions use it, but still searching for airstream experiences.

Also how do you determine how much square footage of wall space you have with all the curved walls. Ours is a ‘86 34’ excella I think actually 30’ interior.

Thanks
I would not use sheep's wool for insulating a trailer. (or any other organic insulation) Rot and insect infestation would concern me.
IMO, mineral wool would be a better choice.

Measure the wall height, starting at the floor and around the curve to the center point of the ceiling. Then measure the perimeter of the trailer at floor level. Multiply wall height by perimeter length. That will give you square feet, though slightly more than actual, because of the curved corners. But you will need these few extra square feet because of waste as you cut and fit the pieces into the odd shapes that are required. Deduct for large windows and doors.
Old 02-21-2019, 05:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
Never heard of it for insulation buts sounds cozy.

When I redid our endcap I was surprised at how much of the rock wool I used but sorry I don't remember the quantity. Home depot had these small rolls that were 1-1/2" thick by 16" by 48" (+-) that worked perfect.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:22 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Tai O , Lantau Island
I’m surprised no one has heard of this. They treat it to make it insect and rodent resistant past what it has naturally and it is mold and rot resistant. It’s used in lots of van conversions, and often overall in the uk. It’s being used in some new rvs as well. Just hoping to find someone who’s done it on an as
Old 02-22-2019, 04:53 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Sounds super absorbent, you'll never have to worry about "seeing" another leak.
Old 02-22-2019, 05:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Tai O , Lantau Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
Sounds super absorbent, you'll never have to worry about "seeing" another leak.

They actually say that it dries back out.
Old 02-22-2019, 09:39 AM   #9
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
interesting .... what is the advantage?? ....is it a much better insulator?? ..... costs more/less?
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:42 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
- , My heart is in Colorado
I’m glad you posted this question. Ive thought that if I ever had to reinsulate, I’d consider sheep’s wool.

Sheep’s wool is a superior material in many applications, and what I’ve read from an insulating perspective, the only downside seems to be cost. An airstream being relatively small however (compared to a house), this may be nominal.

Hopefully someone with experience using it will comment. Great question!
Papatango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Silver Star

1970 23' Safari
Victoria , British Columbia
You've got me googling it ....LOL .... interesting product.
It appears that its mostly treated with Borax for bugs etc which could be a friendly product for people with allergies etc. Could have some advantages in a RV wall with bugs vermin in general ??
They are promoting it as a green product. R-values and costs seem to be about the middle of the pack on normal insulating products. With the narrow wall space you dont get much R-value in a airstream anyway.
I did the back of mine with 2 layers of thin foam sheet as its almost impossible to do 1 thick layer and get it to bend in the curves..... but installing 1 thin and then another overtop worked good. I also use some fibreglass for tite spots etc.
I would also consider some type of thermal break between your ribs and final panelling. I've seen it mentioned in posts before on this site.
rucos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:13 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
1974 31' Excella 500
1975 24' Argosy 24
Denver , Colorado
Wool settles (compacts) over time, and also absorbs moisture. I know it will dry out (if you live in a desert climate ), but these two factors eliminated it as a choice for me.

Polyisocyanurate panels or industrial (not canned) closed-cell spray foam is what I decided were best after a LOT of research.

FWIW, a couple years ago I submerged a bunch of pieces of PIC in water and I've been pulling them out over time (the experiment is still going). That stuff is nearly impervious to moisture (though it will *burn* in an open environment).
kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Wool settles (compacts) over time, and also absorbs moisture. I know it will dry out (if you live in a desert climate ), but these two factors eliminated it as a choice for me.

Polyisocyanurate panels or industrial (not canned) closed-cell spray foam is what I decided were best after a LOT of research.

FWIW, a couple years ago I submerged a bunch of pieces of PIC in water and I've been pulling them out over time (the experiment is still going). That stuff is nearly impervious to moisture (though it will *burn* in an open environment).
I used 1" Dow Super Tuff-R Polyisocyanurate Rigid Foam Insulated Sheathing from Lowes when I re-insulated our Sovereign almost 10 years ago. I couldn't get the insulation to burn when I tried with a propane torch.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 07:55 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
I've been Googling too.

If wool insulation is treated with borax to repel insects, that is not a good thing for Airstreams. Sodium tetraborate decahydrate (borax) is corrosive.

Wool will eventually rot when exposed to moisture and microbes, even inside an enclosure. Damp wool will support mold. If in contact with earth in a landfill situation, it only takes wool about a year to decompose.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Wow, 13 posts and we've herd no puns yet? Ewe would think that by now someone would have made a joke about a guy who wants to ram wool insulation into an Airstream. Is it shear brilliance? Will people flock to this idea? Or will those who do this feel fleeced?
Now I'm feeling sheepish wondering if this message was a good idea.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 08:03 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
One byproduct of burning polyisocyanurate foam insulation is hydrogen cyanide gas. It is poisonous, deadly to humans. That is the main reason it is hardly ever used in residential construction.
https://www.firehouse.com/rescue/art...ong-fire-gases
Old 02-23-2019, 04:48 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
alfred , New York
never heard of this before, very interested. do you know what is used as a rodenticide and insecticide? and what is the name of the rv company that uses it. i have a flock of 108 sheep, and a '64 globetrotter i am working on.

thanks!
nevermoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 05:07 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Tai O , Lantau Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermoor View Post
never heard of this before, very interested. do you know what is used as a rodenticide and insecticide? and what is the name of the rv company that uses it. i have a flock of 108 sheep, and a '64 globetrotter i am working on.

thanks!

It’s treated with borax from what I’ve seen. I know one person who also has their own sheep plan on this:
“...my plan is to wash the fleeces of dirt and suint but leave the lanolin for its water repeling ability. I don't want it collecting all the condensation from the aluminum shell. For moths I plan to add cedar, clove and cinnamon to the walls. For typical bugs that plague all homes, I will add a dish of borax between the studs.”

And here’s an article about the company that uses it. https://moderncampermag.com/sheeps-w...er-eco-camper/
Old 02-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
Wow, 13 posts and we've herd no puns yet? Ewe would think that by now someone would have made a joke about a guy who wants to ram wool insulation into an Airstream. Is it shear brilliance? Will people flock to this idea? Or will those who do this feel fleeced?
Thanks for giggles this morning... I for one appreciate the post and could never lambaste someone for some well thought out puns
cstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:01 PM   #20
Take me back to the 70's

1970 21' Globetrotter
1971 29' Ambassador
1977 20' Argosy 20
Boston , MA
Researching options for insulation as my 70' Trotter, Glinda, is naked..

This made me literally laugh out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidsonOverlander View Post
jamimes is offline   Reply With Quote