Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2015, 02:32 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
securing drawers so they don't slide open when on the move

we are adding drawers in our '86 25'Sovereign in the eating/living room area next to the refrigerator wall. My question is how do we secure the doors so they don't fly open when we are on the move? Our cabinets have plastic fasteners that secure the cabinet doors but I wondered what would you use for wooden drawers?

Thanks in advance.
Steve
Ssmookler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Southern , Wisconsin
I am using roller/spring latches for my door & drawer catches. Similar to these:

Liberty Double Roller Catch with Spear Strike-C08820C-UC-P - The Home Depot
Old 05-03-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I've used stick-on child proofing locks that have a strap and clip to hold drawers shut.

Failing that, try a 'footman loop' screwed to the cabinet and a webbing strap that has an easy Release buckle.

Our rear desk drawers used to unload in panic stops before I child proofed them with parts from Home Depot.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 05:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Depending on the various models of Airstreams, you modify what we do.

Rope. We tie the closet handles together with rope to secure them. We run a rope from the bottom drawer in the Safari, secured at the bottom handle, run it through the other three drawers and would tie the rope onto the magazine rack bars. Never had one drawer open on us... and I travel anywhere.

The hinged drawer(s) along side the bed, our 2006 Safari, I added a latch and a rubber band to keep tension for it to remain closed.

If you have a problem, study it and there are inexpensive easy solutions. We used rope as I had a lot laying around... parts and pieces that were 25 foot ropes at one time.

We solved all of the drawers and door problems with rope and one sliding door latch. Even added a handle on the door for access to the water pump.

You can get fancy. You can get... rope. If it works, you did good.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Aurora , Colorado
The drawer slides on the '85 Airstreams have a catch. When closed you should have to lift up slightly in order to pull out. If they are not working that way then the slides may be misaligned, loose, worn out or otherwise out of adjustment. To get a drawer completely out, so that you can better inspect the slide (positioned in the middle, not on the sides), pull the drawer out as far as it will go, then feel inside the rear of the track for a little lever. When you find it push the drawer back in just enough to remove tension on the lever, then work the lever to allow the drawer to be pulled completely out from the track. The part of the track attached to the drawer itself has a notch toward the front. That notch is the catch that keeps the drawer in place while traveling, but sometimes it gets worn down or otherwise damaged. But if it appears intact then with some finagling you can get it to work properly.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:53 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We installed magnetic catches on the back of the drawers. Check out post 598 in our thread: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f185...-50967-43.html. The catches come in different weights, and they have held the drawers closed while traveling for the last several years.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:21 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I had to replace the slides on the large drawer under the fridge--broken due to a lot of weight, and also had to disable the latches on one of the under-bed drawers because it needs a lot of force to open. I put surface bolts on both sides of both drawers. These require manual latching but are very secure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	surface bolt.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	237736  
Old 05-04-2015, 03:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 29' Ambassador
Boynton Beach , Florida
I'm a big fan of these marine latches:
Sea-Dog : Quality Marine, Industrial and Rigging Hardware

Push the button in, and they latch. Button out, a nice drawer pull. About $8 each from boatpartheadquarters.com. The plastic (so far) wears well, and it's a good build quality. Has a good, solid "finger feel" as well, very classy!

It's taken some finagling, but I've got these latches to work in all sorts of interesting configurations.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	224312_jpg.png
Views:	263
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	237770  
SuzyHomemakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 04:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
These brass catches have adjustable tension and mount on the back of the drawer. They work great and the drawers stay put when traveling. A slight tug opens it.Extruded Double-Ball Catches - Lee Valley Tools
Old 05-04-2015, 05:43 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
We have a front-facing drawer in the nightstand between the beds, and because of its location it was particularly prone to opening during travel. I installed a child-guard product that I had, left over from many years ago, inside the drawer, and it has worked very well. So far, in 15 years, no drawer openings. The nice thing about it is the easy installation, and it's invisible when the drawer is closed since it's mounted inside. It is similar to this product:

Amazon.com : Spring Loaded Cabinet and Drawer Latch : Cabinet Safety Locks : Baby
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
Low Tech! I just drop a thin stick or 1/2" dowel through the handles on those drawers that you have to lift to open. They slide out when they bounce and they don't usually bounce at the same time so one drawer holds the others back.
We have more trouble with swinging cupboard doors that open under the pressure of the contents. I use a single strip of double sided Velcro ( Velcro Ties) wrapped around the pair of handles. But you need to check the grip since some cheap stuff won't hold under sliding tension
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:20 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ssmookler View Post
we are adding drawers in our '86 25'Sovereign in the eating/living room area next to the refrigerator wall. My question is how do we secure the doors so they don't fly open when we are on the move? Our cabinets have plastic fasteners that secure the cabinet doors but I wondered what would you use for wooden drawers?

Thanks in advance.
Steve
This is what I use and they work perfect. TotLok - Magnetic Cabinet Locking System

Easy to install
Old 05-05-2015, 10:07 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
On our '86 Ltd, we use bungee cords, about as low-tech as you can get. I think the catches are just pworn after so many years of open-and-close, and the bungees do the trick for doors and drawers. We take them off once we are parked for the night, then putting them on is part of our hit-the-road process in the morning. Easy!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
securing counters

Great suggestions. I had no idea that there was such a variety of solutions. Any more out there????
Steve
Old 05-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Our trailer's drawers have the factory plastic lock, but even these are not sufficient on the drawers in the rear of the trailer on some of the bumpy highways we have today.

In these cases, I put a 1" square of self sticking Velcro between the drawer face and the cabinet on one side only, and that does the trick. Holds the drawer closed but there's noting to remove or unlock when you do need to open the drawer.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Securing drawers

My friend is building the cabinet with sliding drawers for us to go directly below the tv mount on the wall against the refrigerator replacing the angled storage cabinet. It all started with us wanting to replace the counter top.

Great suggestions and I am intrigued by the low tech Velcro solution maybe as a first step.
Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
If you just use self/soft closing drawer slides, they have a locking mechanism that holds the drawer in the closed position until you pull it out.

I build drawers for a living and use them often. They are pretty secure.

Just Google "soft close drawer slides" to get a preview of them. They are also available at HD and Lowes. Pick up a pair and try them out.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Keeping the drawers closed

Here is my low tech solution: I used 3 eyelet screws per drawer (one on the drawer and 2 on the cabinet base) and one Dollar Store big stainless steel safety pin/clip to thread through them. When we're not traveling I just hang the safety pin from the cabinet drawer handle.

Name:	eyelet-screws.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	247407

Name:	IMG_20150906_185319648.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	247408
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I use a childproofing strap with a clip that latches into a socket on the front of the drawer, then wraps around and glues to the side of the cabinet. Other places a footman loop and a nylon strap to hold the fridge and closet door solidly shut.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 AM   #20
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Child safety latches. They are little plastic things that screw inside the drawer and catch it if it slide open.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote