Old 05-08-2015, 07:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Our trailer's drawers have the factory plastic lock, but even these are not sufficient on the drawers in the rear of the trailer on some of the bumpy highways we have today.

In these cases, I put a 1" square of self sticking Velcro between the drawer face and the cabinet on one side only, and that does the trick. Holds the drawer closed but there's noting to remove or unlock when you do need to open the drawer.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
1986 25' Sovereign
Cincinnati , Ohio
Securing drawers

My friend is building the cabinet with sliding drawers for us to go directly below the tv mount on the wall against the refrigerator replacing the angled storage cabinet. It all started with us wanting to replace the counter top.

Great suggestions and I am intrigued by the low tech Velcro solution maybe as a first step.

Ssmookler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 06:51 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , ^
If you just use self/soft closing drawer slides, they have a locking mechanism that holds the drawer in the closed position until you pull it out.

I build drawers for a living and use them often. They are pretty secure.

Just Google "soft close drawer slides" to get a preview of them. They are also available at HD and Lowes. Pick up a pair and try them out.
My 77 Sovereign Renovation
Out in the woods, or in the city, It's all the same to me.
When I'm drivin' free, the world's my home....When I'm mobile.

Sneakinup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
1991 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marco Island , Florida
Keeping the drawers closed

Here is my low tech solution: I used 3 eyelet screws per drawer (one on the drawer and 2 on the cabinet base) and one Dollar Store big stainless steel safety pin/clip to thread through them. When we're not traveling I just hang the safety pin from the cabinet drawer handle.
Click image for larger version

Name:	eyelet-screws.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	247407
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150906_185319648.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	247408
911Patriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 11:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I use a childproofing strap with a clip that latches into a socket on the front of the drawer, then wraps around and glues to the side of the cabinet. Other places a footman loop and a nylon strap to hold the fridge and closet door solidly shut.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
'The Silver HamShack' (2007 International 22FB CCD 75th Aniversary model)
Multiple Yaesu Radios inside and many antennae sprouting from roof, ProPride hitch
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 01:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Child safety latches. They are little plastic things that screw inside the drawer and catch it if it slide open.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 06:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Originally Posted by TinShack View Post
These brass catches have adjustable tension and mount on the back of the drawer. They work great and the drawers stay put when traveling. A slight tug opens it.Extruded Double-Ball Catches - Lee Valley Tools
We have a Lee Valley store a couple of miles from home, and I added those latches to the backs of the three "under-bed" drawers, one or more of which sometimes would slide out in the past.

Haven't tried it on the road yet, but it seems as though they will work - and as you say, they can be further tightened up if needed.

As well, we have occasionally had the bedside drawers jump up and slide out on really bad roads.

My "fix" for that is a simple wooden block that fills the gap between the top of the drawer front, and the bottom of the shirt cupboard door immediately above it.

The wooden block is just loose but is held in place when traveling by an aluminum bracket that goes under the mirrored shirt cupboard door and is trapped in place when the shirt cupboard door is closed.

With this little gadget in place for traveling, it makes it impossible for the drawer to jump up, so it cannot slide out.

Should work - haven't tried it on the road yet either though!

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote