Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2015, 08:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Hemingford , Nebraska
Reversing swing on small closet door

On our 81 Excella, the small closet near the bedroom swings from hinges on the right. This requires a person to go in to the bedroom (difficult) to access the closet. A while back, on the this forum, someone suggested flipping the door to place the hinges on the left so it can be accessed from the hall (which we opened to the center bath), which would work well, but there were some naysayers. I can't find the thread, but I think it's a good solution? Anyone else see why/why not?
mwernke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I did that on the closet door in an Argosy I once owned. The closet door swing made it virtually impossible to get to the Univolt and fuses without going into the bathroom and shutting the door, opening the closet and laying on the floor with your feet in the shower.

On that trailer, all I had to do was to take the hinge off, turn the door upside down and relocate the door strike on the other side of the opening. It was a fairly easy job and made the closet and the bathroom work much better, as well as access to the electrical system. Just do it.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I flipped our bathroom door so it opens to the bedroom instead of living room. Like Idroba says, its an easy change.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I reversed the wardrobe closet (next to the fridge) door hinge on our new AS to open away from the kitchen (rather than away from the bedroom) so we could repurpose the closet as a "kitchen pantry". Easy to do though I had to locate the hinges twice . I recommend the obvious step (which I did not do the first time) of measuring the existing inset of the hinges from the front of the cabinet face and match when flipping the door. A wonderful change for us as it is the most frequently opened cabinet door since that's where the non-refrigerated food is!
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 07:18 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2004 22' Safari
Albuquerque , New Mexico
On my 2004 Safari 22 foot, a previous owner reversed the closet door. I never knew until I was looking at archive photos from Colonial Airstream, and I actually had to remove screws at the hinge to find evidence that it had been reversed.

Why isn't Airstream smart enough to do that? Much handier to be able to stand in the opening to the doorway and pop things out than to go into the front part of the bed area and then have the bed mattress largely in the way.
Silver.Sanctuary is offline   Reply With Quote