Old 02-06-2003, 10:39 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member
Send a message via Yahoo to maggieairstream
I also love the looks of my older trailer. The interior is so beautiful. Over the couch area is a yellow ceiling area, and white roll-up overhead sheves. I am getting a beautiful light golden design vinyl and putting cheetah and leopard throw rugs in the hall and living room. Now, I need a little larger picture of the charging bull elephant like the one I have in my bedroom to put in the living room over the cabinet.

You can really have fun decorating. A lot of people (not RVers) don't understand how I can live full-time in a 31-ft RV but because it's an Airstream, I feel like I'm living in luxury. I actually feel thrilled many evenings sitting in my Airstream because of its uniqueness and beauty. The small space doesn't bother me at all and I know I can pick up and go anywhere, not like when I lived in that expensive apartment.

maggieairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 06:44 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member
I am on my way into my first A/S - part of what motivates me is exactly what all of you are saying...the love and admiration of the design! The dealers I spoke to tried to talk me into one of those other square way! I'm thirty-one...I want something sexier that one of those boxes! So, I've committed to an A/S...a big move for me- I still haven't committed to a marriage- and from what I read here, the A/S may prove to be my longest lasting love. I look forward to the adventure. A

alt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2003, 06:47 PM   #17
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Damn Alt,

I'm 32 and I could not have put it better myself! I'm roughly in the same boat!

Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2003, 06:53 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1992 30' Airstream 30
Santa Rosa , Northern California wine country

I read a sticker somewhere, "Not all men are idiots...some are still single". LOL
At 47, I'm having a blast now that I'm divorced (she wanted it).
Now please folks, don't chastise me for this. I've been there and done that. It's just that when my ex saw my A/S, she said she would never go on a trip in it if we were still together...she insists on 5 Star room service.
I love my Airstream!
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 12:03 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member
1975 23' Safari
1978 31' Excella 500
Franklin , Indiana
Send a message via Yahoo to DPeakMD

I know this is an old post, but I found it looking for information on a problem I've had with mine, and I think you could be having with yours.

All that rotted wood in the back of your coach might NOT be from the window. The water is likely getting in between the rear bumper and the shell. Go out and look at the bumper where the hose carrier is. If there are any gaps in the seal between the bumper and the back of the shell where the lower rub rail is located, water will cascade into that space and rot your floor from the bottom up.

This is also associated with a problem called frame separation. Basically the rear of the coach comes unattached from the rear frame. Apply pressure downward on the bumper and see if it moves down independently of the rear shell. If so, you're going to need to have that fixed. This is called the "Elephant Ears" fix--you have to cut open the shell on both sides and it leaves behind these tell-tale patches. Cost is $1500-2000 from what I've been told.

If there are any gaps there, in the meantime, have your dealer seal them up as well as possible to prevent more water entering.

The water also gets down into the insulation, soaking it and then causing the frame to rust out--as you mentioned you were already concerned about.

Just an FYI. Hope that it's not the case, but I'd check it out to see for sure.

Good luck!
Dallas Peak, MD 'That 70's Guy!'
VAC 1VP President
AIR #9
.-- ----. -.-. -.. -.-.
DPeakMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 10:21 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Thanks for this information. It's been raining so much for the past several months that I might not be able to see where the water is coming in from. I wanted to finally do a hose test to ascertain the water's entry. I will press on the bumper and see what it does. I hope there is no separation.

Also, there was water seeping in around where the oven top meets the formica at the small strip of counter top at the back of the oven top. I went behind and everywhere and couldn't see how water could be coming in there.

Before this there was water coming in at the seams near the A/C. I talked to the RV repairman who will come out to my campground and work on my A/S. He said the seal around the A/C needs sealing.

I am to the point where I feel like I could just save and buy another Airstream, although I really love the one I have. It is so discouraging to have all these problems, and worry about rusting frames, detached frames, etc. I've already spent $5,000 on repairs (new toilet, water hoses, etc. being replaced, etc.). I tried and tried and practically begged this dealership to try to find the leak in the back. They never once did the hose test. All they did was let it sit outside when it rained and then notice with a flashlight, looking through the hole to the floor, that no, all the sealing around the windows, etc. didn't stop the leak. I just gave up trying.

Is this the right method: Take a flashlight, look down the hole into the underbelly and if the underbelly looks dry, then take a hose and spray on the bumper area, and then look again down the hole and if there is water, then that's it. And if no water, do the same around the window. No water, do the same where? How long would it take the water to travel if it were say coming in through the TV antenna? I think they sealed this, they said they did.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-23-2003, 10:47 AM   #21
Rivet Master
1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
The way the camper is assembled you could have a leak at the very top and it travel through the internal structure and not come out till it's several feet away.

There have been several posts recently about the vents for the plumping leaking. There is a seal that dries out with age under the chrome cap. You might start with that.

There are seveal products to use and the best would be Valchem. Do a little digging in the forums and there is plenty of good information avalable. can help you with some of the sealers. There a sealer I read about in the forums that is more liquid and will wick into the seams that may be useful.

I'm know Andy at Inland RV stocks that vent seal.

Now a heads up....Atlanta now has a Airstream dealer off of Thorton Rd. Somebody was going to be coming through town and checking them out. They have not posted what they found yet. contact info is on 's dealer info page.
1959 22' Caravanner
1988 R20 454 Suburban.
Atlanta, GA
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2003, 02:17 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member
This is so exciting! I found the dealer here in Atlanta. They are just getting started, 1 mechanic, and still stocking up. They have a lot of different Airstream models. I will get to go look at new Airstreams for now and perhaps shop for an upgrade there in a few years.

They said they had been inundated with calls about Airstreams so they think there will be a great market for them. So many of the people I talk to don't go crazy over the Airstream the way we do, so I hope they do have a good market for them.

Another great thing would be that maybe they will be at the RV shows we have all the time here in Atlanta. The only reason I go to those shows now is to visit the booths and maybe look at some of the super expensive motor homes. One year they had an incredibly beautiful Airstream on display (Airstreams are by nature beautiful!) I have never seen one since at the shows we have.

Thanks for this information.