Old 05-31-2017, 01:03 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Middletown , California
I really hate to pop your bubble but it's my humble opinion that you should take option #4 if you don't have a lot of money to spend and don't need to use this trailer for 2 to 4 years. You will not likely recoup your investment to do a rebuild right. Is this trailer usable now? Have you ever had any camping experience with RV's at all? It would be best to try living in it for a few months to see if living in an Airstream works for you. It's a truly time and money intensive project to do a top to bottom rebuild and you could be better off doing something like renovating a house if you need a project. I'd advise drawing up a timeline and budget after inspecting the frame and take a hard look at where you will likely be three years from now. Then double the time and money! Why would that be worth it?

Old 05-31-2017, 01:45 PM   #30
1 Rivet Member

Hockessin , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijustlee View Post
I really hate to pop your bubble but it's my humble opinion that you should take option #4 if you don't have a lot of money to spend and don't need to use this trailer for 2 to 4 years. You will not likely recoup your investment to do a rebuild right. Is this trailer usable now? Have you ever had any camping experience with RV's at all? It would be best to try living in it for a few months to see if living in an Airstream works for you. It's a truly time and money intensive project to do a top to bottom rebuild and you could be better off doing something like renovating a house if you need a project. I'd advise drawing up a timeline and budget after inspecting the frame and take a hard look at where you will likely be three years from now. Then double the time and money! Why would that be worth it?

Thanks for your thoughts. Great for someone not up for the challenge. Will be posting pics along the way. Feel free to follow my journey.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:49 PM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Hockessin , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugjenkins View Post
A few answers and suggestions.
1. Yes you can use white pvc. Black is abs-it weighs less.
2. No. Try not cut the black abs pipes up unless they leak or you are redoing the setup. Most of this stuff is reusable and is contoured to the shape of the shell.
3. The vent and the plumbing pipe will push into a rubber grommet on the top of the holding tank which usually has a clamp on it. In mine the black tank(for poop and peep) was on top of the subfloor with the toilet sitting on top of that. The gray tank (for shower and sink) was under the subfloor between the frame rails below the black tank.
4. The belly pan is the metal that wraps under the bottom of the camper.
5. You need to remove the banana wraps- these are the curved corner pieces near the bottom on the front and rear of the camper. There should be 4 of them. These are fairly easy to remove. They will allow you to see what condition your frame looks like on the front and back. These areas are where most airstreams have major trouble. It's very important to check these areas out. If your frame needs repair it needs to be done first. It's the foundation of your camper!
Suggestions:
1. Make sure the frame is good! Actually that's not a suggestion but a must do! It's like buying a beautiful shiny corvette without an engine- useless and fruitless!
2. Reuse, reuse, reuse unless it's broken or can't be painted. Much can be done after your in it.
3. The more you remove or disassemble, the more time it takes to use it.
4. The insulation looks good. Replace just the bottom section unless it looks used(mice hotel) or moldy or wet. Several have done this procedure and it works well. Most issues on an airstream are belt line problems. This is the area where the shell, floor, frame and belly pan meet.
5. Reseal the windows, door and hatches to eliminate most leaks.
Hope this helps. You really need to check the frame though before you put to much time and money into your project.
And yes, you can do this! A good Attitude is 90% of the build. Knowledge is also 90% of the build too. Then comes money and time. Next is reality.
Good luck you can do it. Post lots of pics and ask lots of questions. (Your doing good on the questions part)

Thank you sooo much for you encouragement! I will take my time and post pics along the way
Old 05-31-2017, 01:51 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Old 08-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #33
1 Rivet Member

Hockessin , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by rugjenkins View Post
A few answers and suggestions.
1. Yes you can use white pvc. Black is abs-it weighs less.
2. No. Try not cut the black abs pipes up unless they leak or you are redoing the setup. Most of this stuff is reusable and is contoured to the shape of the shell.
3. The vent and the plumbing pipe will push into a rubber grommet on the top of the holding tank which usually has a clamp on it. In mine the black tank(for poop and peep) was on top of the subfloor with the toilet sitting on top of that. The gray tank (for shower and sink) was under the subfloor between the frame rails below the black tank.
4. The belly pan is the metal that wraps under the bottom of the camper.
5. You need to remove the banana wraps- these are the curved corner pieces near the bottom on the front and rear of the camper. There should be 4 of them. These are fairly easy to remove. They will allow you to see what condition your frame looks like on the front and back. These areas are where most airstreams have major trouble. It's very important to check these areas out. If your frame needs repair it needs to be done first. It's the foundation of your camper!
Suggestions:
1. Make sure the frame is good! Actually that's not a suggestion but a must do! It's like buying a beautiful shiny corvette without an engine- useless and fruitless!
2. Reuse, reuse, reuse unless it's broken or can't be painted. Much can be done after your in it.
3. The more you remove or disassemble, the more time it takes to use it.
4. The insulation looks good. Replace just the bottom section unless it looks used(mice hotel) or moldy or wet. Several have done this procedure and it works well. Most issues on an airstream are belt line problems. This is the area where the shell, floor, frame and belly pan meet.
5. Reseal the windows, door and hatches to eliminate most leaks.
Hope this helps. You really need to check the frame though before you put to much time and money into your project.
And yes, you can do this! A good Attitude is 90% of the build. Knowledge is also 90% of the build too. Then comes money and time. Next is reality.
Good luck you can do it. Post lots of pics and ask lots of questions. (Your doing good on the questions part)

Hey its me! Im still at it. I have a question about Insulation maybe you can answer. What are your thoughts about R-15 and Reflectix on top of that?
Is it wise? I seen somewhere someone use that for their insulation and couldn't seem to find out why
Old 08-12-2017, 05:45 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
I personally do like fiberglass insulation in airstreams. The shell may sweat from the outside air to interior air temperature differences. Plus these airstream will like around rivets over time. I like spray in foam. I would use one method for insulation. Reflectix. Spray foam. Fiberglass. The shell cavity is not that thick so you can only do so much.