Old 02-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Redondo Beach , California
restoration for a couple of girls with no clue

We are a group of 3 friends looking to buy an airstream shell and restore it. We are pretty clueless as to where we should start and what to ask. Does anyone want to help us? Thank you!

glamstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member
1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
You are going to have to at least some clue to restore an Airstream. Maybe you should buy one already restored. Or did you really mean you want build a store? There again, you might want to buy it already done since you claim to have no clue.

Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California

You four need to attend this event:

Originally Posted by glamstream View Post
We are a group of 3 friends looking to buy an airstream shell and restore it. We are pretty clueless as to where we should start and what to ask. Does anyone want to help us? Thank you!
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA
wkerfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Restoring an Airstream "shell" may seem hip and cool, but there is a lot of mouse poo, dead bugs, cut fingers, rust, sweat and money between an old airstream and something that is going to be useable. Not to rain on your parade, but you must be handy and have a lot of tools going in, or you will quickly despair and give up. There is a large learning curve and restoring or revamping a trailer requires more hours than you count (and sometimes more money). If you have the money, it sounds like having somebody restore it for you is your best option.
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

I know of places that will teach owners like you to restore/fix/repair your trailer. Most of the time it's a sliding scale per-hour cost. If you drop it off go away and let them do the work the rate is $65.00 an hour, if you watch them work and ask questions about what they are doing the price is $85.00 and hour, if you want to help with the repairs the price is $105.00 an hour but you learn a bunch in the process!

Paul Waddell
rideair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #6
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
The girl thing not withstanding (I have way more toys.... errrr tools....then the average guy and i can use them), it was the phrase "a group of three friends" that had me wondering. I have a hard enough time deciding how to fund and what choices to make about the Airstream with my husband. And he's a "yes dear" kinda guy.

Restoring an Airstream takes a lot of money.....or a good deal of money and tons of hard labor. Splitting it three ways ? Wow, what a headache, sounds like a good way to lose some friends. . What if someone doesn't pull their weight, or needs to pull out due to unforeseen circumstances?

I like the idea of buying done, split three ways.
Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Rivet Master
1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Dear Glam,

This is analogous to buying a house that is a wreck and having no idea or skills to reapair it. Find one that is a little older but with all systems working - have someone who knows Airstreams check it out before you lay down your hard earned money. Do not make the assumption that if someone is "handy" they will be able to identify issues with an Airstream. That is the bad news. Now the good, if your patient and have money set aside, you may find yourself a nice serviceable trailer. You will see a lot of "polished turds" out there. Don't fall for the pretty face without knowing that the trailer is solid. Once you get one, you will fall in love and money will somehow not be an issue. Use this site a reference point, it is a terrific source of knowledge, with generous helpful people. Buy "Restoring a Dream" by Tim Shepard, there is a wealth of knowledge in there. Good luck, and have fun!

mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member
Puyallup , Washington
if they start asking money for photo's beware
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member
Cerritos , California
Personally I learned most of the repair and restoration via YOUTUBE. Great starting point. Watch the various videos then decide if this is something you want to get in to.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Portland , Oregon
I see lots of Airstreams for sale where the owner has gutted it, then given up. I can see why, it's like gutting a house without ever having built one. You don't have a clue what to do next.

Find one that's complete and mostly functional. Get it working. Then decorate it as you please. You'll be $ ahead in the long run, and if you end up disagreeing on how to proceed it will be much easier to sell one that is usable.

Good luck!
Ian Lomax
1966 Streamline Countess 26'
JeweloJalopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master
1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
I wonder if the original poster is going to come back. A group restoration project is still a huge project, although it could be a lot of fun.

One single post doesn't tell us a lot, but maybe they've been busy researching. I'd love to hear details about progress toward this dream
Our travel and renovation blog:
webspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master
1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Sheesh, tough crowd.

I think it's a fabulous idea. Just make sure the cameras are rolling at all times and sell it to network TV. It'll be a bigger hit than Survivor!
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
First of all, 'WELCOME' to the Air Forums.

You did not give us much to go on. We like pictures!

Any partnership is difficult, and a threeway compounds the degree of separation considerably.

Have any or you had camper experience? Camped with family or friends? In tents or travel trailers? Motorhomes?

It takes a tremendous amount of time to restore a unit, let alone maintain one in operating/camping condition. Which one of you are going to do the dirty work and then have the other get the use?

Trailers, especially older ones, will have limited storage capacity, wet and dry. Not really set up for anything other than a close family relationship.

I suggest you are better rethinking this project until you can eliminate some of the many obstacles that it presents.

Originally Posted by glamstream View Post
"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Another consideration is the space to carry out the restoration. Unless you have a building or large yard & garage, I think it may be a bit difficult in Redondo Beach. But it is do-able...just read everything you can here on the forums to get an idea of what's involved, had a plan for the $$$ and who really owns it in the end.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote