Old 10-20-2015, 11:12 AM   #1
Rivet Puller
2004 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Replacing "Mouse Fur"

For those with an interest in how to replace "mouse fur," here is quick look at my experiment. I hope it sparks a can-do attitude for others in a similar situation.

The old white fur just won't come clean after 13 years of use and the backing adhesive had started to separate. You can see in the picture below how the old adhesive had discolored and crumbled from baking where the sun hit the aluminum.

I chose to use Ultra-leather as the replacement material for the slide-out's wall covering as the initial project section for what will become a more complete redo. Almost any upholstery grade fabric with a thick backing can be used to suit your decor tastes. I plan on tackling the bedroom next with a different color scheme after this successful adventure.

Once I stripped the old fuzzy carpeting from the walls and sanded off the adhesive lumps, I used Landau and Trim adhesive to bond the ultra-leather to the bare aluminum. I worked slowly in 12" x 12" sections to ensure the 'touch once' bonding didn't result in wrinkles or misalignment. Ultra-leather was also applied on top of 1/4" thick cotton felt stuffing on the wing surrounds which frames the slide-out to complete the upholstered look.

While I was at it, I re-did the whole shebang including new denser, foam cushions and Sunbrella fabrics (square & lumbar pillows, curtains) for the dinette as well as recovered the seat cabinetry with a more easily cleaned vinyl to replace the corduroy fabric. The carpet on the floor got removed and a marble patterned, luxury vinyl tile installed.

I did all the sewing & reupholstery work myself so the total project came in under my $350 budget.

Adhesive: DAP Weldwood High Temperature Spray Headliner Adhesive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Empty Slideout.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	284.9 KB
ID:	250710   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stripped Slideout Shell.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	239.6 KB
ID:	250711  

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Dinette.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	296.0 KB
ID:	250712   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dinette Frame Reupholstery.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	218.0 KB
ID:	250713  

SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
It looks like a very nice job you did there, and a good cost too.

idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Very nice!
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 08:50 AM   #4
Yes!! You have inspired me😀
I have a 2005 Bambi 19 with this stupid fur ....until your post... I haven't found much in this forum from people who actually replaced this stuff. I might just do it!
Thanks for the pics...
slinderman is offline   Reply With Quote