Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2014, 02:44 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Replace roller shade inside door

How do I access the shade that is between the skins inside my door ?
Hands will not fit inside this area.
93 25 Excella Classic
harryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
In a prior thread it was discussed and I concur. The removal of the rivets must be done. Remove the inner skin. Replace the shade and re-rivet.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:45 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
Hi Bill & Janice. Thank you for the timely response. I am a new Air-streamer. I did a search but did not find anything. Not sure if I searched properly either. Anyway, I am happy to realize that we are indeed neighbors. I live off Venice Ave. in Venice.
Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I have wondered the same thing. The door R&R is not something that I have had a chance to deal with. I have the same issue with the roll up blind being broken. The vinyl interior skin covering is also a rust color for some reason, so that needs to be taken care of. The door is sagging a little and it does not seem to be a result of hinge wear so I think the door hinge might actually be sagging some on the door side. The door might be adjustable from the inside. My 81 door might be totally different from yours though.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Venice , Florida
All my screens are covered with what looks like rust...but it cannot be rust because they are vinyl screen. Anyway, I am replacing all the screening.
My shade in the door still works but looks nasty dirty. But it will have to wait until I have more time. Try lacquer thinner on the door skin...it worked for me in several places, especially when I removed the screens, there was nasty dirt around them on the walls.
Old 06-30-2014, 12:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Some of the vinyl screening begins to give off a powdery residue when it is failing due to sunlight and heat.. That could be what looks like rust staining..

When our shade failed, we drilled enough rivets to pull back inner skin and replace with shade cut to measure at local hardware store. We also added snap fitting at bottom to assure we could hold it down, and then covered remaining 1" gap at bottom with a strip of black electrical tape to assure privacy and block light.. Another option I've seen is to give up on shade (since requires opening door to separate metal door and screen door to access shade...) is to use frost film on inside of window.. Provides privacy, and light, without ability to darken interior...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:35 AM   #7

2005 19' International CCD
Westwood , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry94159 View Post
How do I access the shade that is between the skins inside my door ?
Hands will not fit inside this area.
93 25 Excella Classic

Mmk

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
cdross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Mmk ??

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880