Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2016, 03:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Repairing 1978 Argosy Shower Tub

Hello,

I just purchased a 1978 Argosy 27 with a cracked ABS tub. Previous owner stepped on the front edge of tub and it cracked down wall of tub and to the drain hole. I figure the best plan is to remove the tub and fiberglass it from the bottom and reinforce the tub since it is out. My wife is chemically sensitive and so I cannot repair the tub inside the trailer because of the fumes from the solvents and polyester resin.

This Argosy is in great shape except for the tub. I want to keep it as original as possible. I might put down hardwood flooring since the original forest green carpet has been replaced by a dull gray carpet long ago.

I am trying to remove the ABS tub and I have a few questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

1. How is the drain removed. I tried to turn it out with a drain tool but it is not budging. Bending yes.... Budging no!

2. How does one remove the tub? I have removed all the screws that are visible. I believe the tub is screwed along the back edge as well. Was the tub put in before the exterior outer panels were put on?

3. Is fiberglassing the tub the best solution for an ABS tub repair?

Thank for all your help.

Peter
78Argosy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

You might want to post a picture of the tub as it may be common to other Airstream models and you might find a broader knowledge base. In general, though, the plasticy "walls" of the tub/shower area will overlap the top edge of the tub, and will need to be removed (at least at the overlap). Similarly, you may find pieces of aluminum trim that cover blind rivets that hold the whole assembly in place.

For repair, it's a toss up. I tried repairing my ABS wheel wells with conventional polyester fiberglass, and dispite all the cleaning and roughing I did in preparation, I just didn't find that that resin stuck very well. It began delaminating in less time than you would think.

My tub also is a cracked mess. To remove the drain assembly (which was frozen in place for sure), I had to access it from underneath the trailer (with belly skin removed), cut the PVC/ABS pip off so that the tub could be lifted out, and then basically destroy the drain assembly carefully so that it could be removed without causing further damage to the tub.

I have started to try to repair my tub using SMS fiberglass. This stuff is used to fix plastic extrusions (like bumpers) in the automotive repair business, and it seems to be sticking to the tub better than the polyester stuff stuck to my wheel wells. So far, my results are pretty disapointing--suggesting either my technique is awful, the approach to the repair is misguided, or that the whole business is a lost cause. The 40 year old ABS is very fragile and brittle. I even got to the point of fiberglassing the entire thing, thinking I would just use the original as sort of a form. But the whole process is painful and toxic. So let us know if you come up with a more effective repair.

good luck!
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Thanks for your input!!! I can confirm that the tub is very brittle. The ABS does degrade over the years. I have tried a high quality abs glue and tried to glue the crack on the edge. But I am doubtful that over the years it will withstand normal use. I am basically glueing 2 pieces of paper on edge. I might be able to take some pictures in a few days when I am next at the camper.

My understanding is that a replacement tub is not available so I have to make this one work. If I can come across any methods for repairing the tub I will be sure to post. I have heard about Lego pieces put in acetone and window screening. Has anyone had any luck with this approach?

Thanks
Old 02-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
You might explain a little more about the use of window screening. Is that used in conjunction with the dissolved legos?

I had cracks in my ABS interior endcaps, and I tried to get them to glue up in a butt joint using ABS solvent based cement that is used in plumbing. It didn't really have much effect on the old brittle ABS endcap, and even though the cracks seemed to stabilize, just the act of reinstalling the endcap caused them to open up again.

You are correct--there is no drop-in replacement available so you are either obligated to fix what you have or to have something custom made (which I have considered as well).
Old 02-02-2016, 09:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
Kitchener , Ontario
The window screen mesh is for reinforcement same as the fiberglas cloth would be. I would look on line for ABS grind that can me mixed with an ABS solvent cement to produce a thicker cement with body that will bond/fuse to the abs. All of this would be done from the back side of the tub, obviously.
Gearheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:14 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
dawsonville , Georgia
Thanks for this information. I just bought a 73 Argosy and the tub is also not in very good condition around the drain. I was debating on whether to resurface with Krylon Fusion paint as I did with the counter, sink and surround or replace with a galvanized steel tub. As difficult as it sounds to remove, I think my decision to keep original had been made!
Cleosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:25 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I would be inclined to try Epoxy Resin on your ABS. It is a bit harder to work all the air out if you are using mat ( which is pre-coated with polystyrene), but glass fab will coat and work quite well with a stiff brush, and it is easy to build up several layers while wet or cured. Boat supply dealers have 2-part epoxy.
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #8
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
You might try for a repair kit for Vetter fairings. Think they were made from ABS. I used one for my fairing and it seemed to hold. Pretty nasty stuff.
"Hotcha Repair Kit"
http://www.craigvetter.com/pages/onl...s/Details.html

Hope this helps, John
Airjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
You might try for a repair kit for Vetter fairings. Think they were made from ABS. I used one for my fairing and it seemed to hold. Pretty nasty stuff.
"Hotcha Repair Kit"

Also some motorcycle are welded for repairs. That may be a option.
Hope this helps, John
Old 02-02-2016, 11:53 AM   #10
Airjeep

2012 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Zurich , Ontario
"Hotcha Repair Kit"

Also some motorcycle fairings are welded for repairs. That may be a option.

Hope this helps, John
Old 02-02-2016, 12:54 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I have found some pictures but I cannot seem to figure out how to post them. My last attempt deleted my post that I typed up before publishing.

Thanks for everyone's input. I have read that epoxy and polyester resin do not adhere to ABS that well. The Acetone slurry method uses a chemical bond versus a physical bond from the resin method. The Acetone method would imbed the mesh reinforcement material into the ABS tub where as the epoxy method relies on the ability to adhere to the plastic. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all your help
Old 02-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Santa Fe , New Mexico
You might be able to see in the photos that the tub is placed against the interior wall of the fabulous 1970's floral patter bathroom wall. There is a bead of silicon caulking to seal the gap. The wall does not overlap the tub as it is done in other models. It seems the tub is screwed in place from the outside before the exterior skin/panel is attached. It boggles my mind if that is indeed how the Argosy was assembled.

I think I will have to cut the screws with either a reciprocating or oscillating saw. Has anyone experienced that same situation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00u0u_iMKpWbzfbEL_600x450.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	256684   Click image for larger version

Name:	00909_kRZq381odf0_600x450.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	256685  

Old 02-02-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1968 17' Caravel
newnan , Georgia
check out a product called Plasti-mend . I am going to repair my shower seat with it.According to their web site it will work on the ABS plastic used in Airstreams
skippetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:34 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Santa Fe , New Mexico
It looks like it might be the ticket. I was thinking that when I get the tub out I wanted to reinforce the seat with plywood and fiberglass and also the corners of the tub bottom. The ABS is incredibly brittle after 40 years. I am hoping that the epoxy or polyester resin will bond well to the ABS.
Old 02-02-2016, 02:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Argosy27 View Post
You might be able to see in the photos that the tub is placed against the interior wall of the fabulous 1970's floral patter bathroom wall. There is a bead of silicon caulking to seal the gap. The wall does not overlap the tub as it is done in other models. It seems the tub is screwed in place from the outside before the exterior skin/panel is attached. It boggles my mind if that is indeed how the Argosy was assembled.

I think I will have to cut the screws with either a reciprocating or oscillating saw. Has anyone experienced that same situation?
I don't know how the Argosy trailers were constructed, but your guess that the tub is screwed in place from the outside is highly unlikely. Maybe that entire corner is installed as an assembly, ie., the tub is attached to the surrounding wall and then everying is put in as one piece.
Old 02-03-2016, 07:39 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would look into a place that makes hot tubs and see if they could use the old tub as a base to build a new tub using fiberglass.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:41 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Santa Fe , New Mexico
My Understanding is that there is no replacement available because there was a fire at the Airstream factory/warehouse a number of years ago and the original mold was destroyed. I guess there is not enough demand for a replacement tub to be fabricated so we have to make due with what we have. I am sure I will be able to salvage this tub without having to custom build another. Although worst case I am sure one could have a fiberglass replacement made.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:35 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
I would think companies like Bath Fitters who custom fit a unit to go over your home bathtub could possibly do one up. Not sure how flexible they are in the odd-ball design side of their repertoire
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:54 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Once again I tried to remove the tub and I have given up the fight. I believe Belegedhel is correct in his assessment that "Maybe that entire corner is installed as an assembly, ie., the tub is attached to the surrounding wall and then everything is put in as one piece."

In order to remove the tub it looks like I would have to take out the rear window as the tub surround fits under the window flashing. I will repair the tub from the top surface and not from the back side. It won't be as pretty but I cannot see myself going down that road just to make the repair invisible.

Ill keep everyone posted on the ABS repair. Fingers crossed. Ill be trying Plasti-mend.

Peter
Old 02-12-2016, 04:53 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 26
dawsonville , Georgia
Peter, I've "almost" reached the same conclusion on my 73. I can sand and resurface and make everything look good except the area right around the drain. I'm anxious to see how the Plasti-mend works for you. Good luck.
Cleosdad is offline   Reply With Quote