Old 09-26-2010, 09:10 AM   #1
Currently Looking...
Summerville , South Carolina
Renovation ideas needed for 28' Argosy motorhome - contemporary

Hello all -
Would love to see any documented renovation process ideas with contemporary/modern designs on an argosy 28' motorhome. Pics and/or vids.

We are thinking streamline layouts like used in private jets. Does not need to be over the top expensive stuff...just that principle in a frugal way.

Im a cabinetmaker/architectural woodworker of 33 years and am going fulltime for a while. Im looking forward to renovating an argosy/excella.

Ergonomic, sleek, functional, and classy. Im sure there are some nice projects out there. No oak cabs or basic cabinetry please. We are leaning towards the less is more design concept. Everything one needs in its own place, with an emphasis on sophisticated and refined yet simple.

Thanks so much. Send us some ideas. Would appreciate seeing your work.

bosube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
The best thing to do is a Google search of "airstream renovations" and variations on those words. You will get a lot of interesting ideas come up.

For me, the easiest, most budget-friendly and most dramatic contemporary change I made were the lights. Look on ebay for the small 12v "airplane lights". Also referred to by some as "puck lights". The wiring is already there for your current 12v lighting system, you just need to phish some new wire behind the aluminum interior skin from those to wherever you want the new lights. I cut the holes with one of those core/hole drill bits. You'll need to install new switches for these lights. I purchased some basic 12v dimmer switches (not cheap) but they allow you to create a cool mood-lighting effect. Just my 2 cents.

adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
1973 31' Sovereign
Hastings , UK
Hi Bosube,

Check out Snekinups restoration it was really amazing!

Also you may want to check out my blog. I went for a reasonably streamlined approach of lots of white, cream and wood. It makes it feel huge inside and awfully light. I also had a pretty tight budget so was pretty frugal.

Please do bear in mind however that this is for full time living so may not be sutiable as a more portable trailer.

I would very happily send you some higher res pictures if you like, please also bear in mind it's not totally finished yet.

I look forward to seeing your restroation,
Mermitate - The Airstream that is becoming a boat.
lgastall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1974 31' Excella 500
Charleston , South Carolina
I'm digging this.. Saving Grace - Restoration & redesign of '64 Trade Wind 25'. Photo Gallery
DanielB is offline   Reply With Quote