Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Remove dinette from 2012 Flying Cloud fb....help

I am new to this forum and I am not sure if I posted my question in the right place so I will try it here. I would like to remove the dinette from our 2012 flying cloud fb. The dealer said he could remove the bench and the table
on one side(by the door). The other bench can't be removed because the heating duct runs under there. This leaves me with a space 66 inches long and 40 inches wide. The recliners that I would like to order are each 26 inches wide. Is it possible to do this? Is it possible to remove the second bench and put a cover over the duct? How many more inches would this create? I don't want to remove the heating duct from this area. Any words of wisdom would be appreciated as my husband insists I have some logic behind my ideas...just like a man!
Dmgkag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I don't know what your floor plan looks like, but perhaps you can remove the second bench and build a box around the furnace duct. If the duct is flexible, you can probably shift it close to the wall so the size of the box would intrude into your floor space as little as possible. If you can, salvage wood from the benches to build the duct box out of. Then the wood will match the rest of the interior. Just a thought.
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Thanks for responding

I hope this is possible. To view pictures of what I am describing, go to Colonial Airstream and click on flying cloud 25 fb. It even has a picture of an open storage drawer under the second bench where you can see the case for the duct.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
So it's been awhile since I had the 25FB, but if I remember right that heating ducts ends under that bench. Couldnt you just shorten it to whatever new length the bench/couch would be? Or maybe just cap it off. If you cap it, the other vents would probably just blow more. Ours also had the base speaker under the door side bench, but I would think that could just sit behind the recliner.

I don't know how much cold weather camping you're gonna be doing, but we rarely use our furnace. When we have power hook ups we generally use a space heater if needed. It's much quieter and doesn't use our propane We save the furnace for when we are dry camping.

I am surprised that the dealer didn't have any good ideas to offer you. You may have better luck with a forum member that has a resoration shop that specializes in Airstreams. He's a great guy and does top notch work. Check out Area 63 Productions, his name is Uwe. The shop is in Orange, CA.

BTW, if you're ready to attend your first Airstream Rally, we are having one in two weeks just a few hours from you. Check out the link at the bottom of my post

I do yoga to relieve stress, just kidding I drink wine in yoga pants
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
To Aswifey...sorry about the interruption in my thanks to you...(continuing..)We also had to buy a tow vehicle and arrange for a storage spot and sell our present vehicle. Then..let the fun begin! I will check out Area 13 Production. thanks again..dmgkag