Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-28-2012, 08:38 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
If you are itching to get on the road then I would suggest not going down the complete referb road. It could VERY easily take a year or more for someone with even solid knowledge about plumbing / welding / riveting / AC / heat etc etc etc to do this kind of project. Even if you are extremely handy there is a lot of head scratching and standing around figuring out the best way to do something (Vs just any old way). Just figure that your learning curve on the components is multiplied because of the multitude of systems in the trailer.
You have to build time into the project for things you won't expect. If you have a lot of time and space to work on it then I say go for it....just don't have a deadline:-)

I would be hesitant to try and move an exterior door. Not that it can't be done, but there are ribs that would need to be removed to make room for the new place and then ribs that would need to be replaced in the old hole, then a new body panel put back on. Just seems like a lot of work for what you get out of it IMO.

Once again, anything is possible, but you might not have this thing on the road for a year or more, especially if you're doing it alone.
Take pictures as you take stuff out, even if you don't plan on keeping it.
Good luck!
Eric H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
I don't know if this will load, but what about a kitchen like this:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf airforums camper.pdf (50.3 KB, 95 views)
Old 03-28-2012, 08:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Athens , Georgia
Maybe you'd like elements of this too?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...tml#post521121
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
Some days, just a sofa in a white Airstream, with lots of counter space, is exactly what I crave.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Glad to hear that you are keeping the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen locations where they are at. Again, I stress that I would work with the present location of all windows and doors. You can do it. It just makes the design more of a challenge. Believe me that is easier than moving a window or a door.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:22 PM   #26
HCO
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Edson , Alberta
It's fun trying to balance whats practical and what I desire, the pictures that truckasauraus shared is what I first had in mind, but 27ft just doesn't seem to be enough when divided by a private bedroom (a must). Now if only I had an Excella...

@Dan It was easy for me to get carried away with sketches and ideas but after I spent the day gutting the AS it really gave me a good picture of what I was up against and what I had to work with. I'm still tossing ideas back and forth on how to make my kitchen as space efficient as possible but I've come to terms with leaving the essentials in the same general area

Does anyone know how get the plastic/paint off the interior walls in order to get a finish similar to the outside of the airstream? I stumbled upon a picture and I am curious on how diffcult it would be to accomplish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream-restoration[1].jpg
Views:	518
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	154563  
HCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
First off, to our group. I think by now you see that there is tons of top-flight knowledge here that will let you achieve your dreams in terms of working on your TT (travel trailer).

Not from me, by the way, I am no expert BUT, I do want to say this:

Here's a crazy idea: why not just clean it up keeping the original design, and just get on the road and camp in it for a while?

I mean, even that will be a big chore in a TT that has suffered some flood damage, since I imagine you would need to replace the floor, remove the lower inner panels (which means removing all the furniture and appliances) so that the by now rotten-smelling filthy dirty insulation in the walls and under the sub-floor could be removed and replaced.

You just might find THAT a big enough job!

If your interest in a total re-build isn't satisfied by that, you would have at least had a chance to look at the other existing AS floor layouts, and see which one could be modified to suit your ultimate design desires without becoming your life's work.

After all, you ARE buying this to be able to get out and camp, aren't you...? I bet your family is, assuming you are married with children.

In any event, good luck with it, and I hope you can get clarity on what it is you are really wanting to do.
Old 03-29-2012, 07:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I agree with Aage. Nothing like just going camping and meeting some other Airstream owners and looking at their Streams to get a good prospective on how you want to design your Stream.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
Hi again HCO,
Your new design looks very comfortable. You've worked in a lot of counter space and wardrobe storage.

About the shiny interior -- that picture is probably of new aluminum. Look at the next thread about Becky's adventure polishing the interior aluminum:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f147...-75011-15.html Go to message #197 and start reading from there.

It looks nice and shiny in the pictures, but she said that up close it has lots of swirls, so she ended up painting it . . . after all that work! Save yourself the agony. Actually, the whole thread is a really good read (and overwhelming!).

Take care,
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:36 AM   #30
HCO
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Edson , Alberta
@Bolerama 10 days before the end cap was finished... *sigh* tough call.
HCO is offline   Reply With Quote