Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #15
HCO
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Edson , Alberta
Well my mind has been changed, I still would like one double bed rather than 2 single beds, but I'm definitely going to have to re-think this. Any ideas would be great.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:30 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
I think you could re-draw bringing the galley over the axles, add storage between that and the bathroom and work out the weight distribution problems out. I changed our Overlander into the rear bathroom, front dinette/ queen layout. There's not a ton of difference in the galley but tank location is highly important as already mentioned.

Old 03-28-2012, 06:51 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
You may find it helpful to take a look at the Airstream Inc. website. Under the service tab, you and drill down to the floor plans from different years to see various factory arrangements. They have made a lot of different layouts over the years.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Ahhh . . . the possibilities!

I was going to suggest going to Airstream's website like Aviator said. Also, as others have suggested, having the lounge area in the front or back gives you a better view. If it's in front, and you back in, you view the people walking around the camp ground (the action). If it's in back, and you back in, you may get a water view or forest view (nature). That preference is up to you. Here are 2 arrangement from new Airstreams that might work:
The first is the 27 foot International. The lounge is in the back. The dinette is under the window, which gives a nice view when sitting, but it can also be folded down to make a huge L-shaped sofa. This is my all-time favorite lay-out.

The second image is 30 foot International. The lounge is in the front, and the dinette on the side. In the lower part of the image, you can see 2 lounge chairs. In your drawing, you had 2 lounge chairs, so this arrangement may be preferable to you. If they swivel, then you can turn to look out the window or turn to watch tv, or whatever. You may not even need a side dinette.

Have fun, and keep us posted!
Lisa
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	27 foot.jpeg
Views:	93
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	154532   Click image for larger version

Name:	30 foot.jpeg
Views:	95
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	154533  

2008 23' Int. CCD "The Atomic Pod" https://atomicpod.wordpress.com
2002 Chinook Destiny | 1973 13' Boler (fiberglass egg) "The Boiler"
WBCCI #23223 (=23 CCD)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 PM   #19
HCO
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Edson , Alberta
Thanks to all for the input, I have decided to leave the bathroom and bedroom in the original locations, the kitchen is going to be updated but stay in same general area. I am putting one double bed to one side of the trailer and closet space on the other side. I just finished stripping it down. This is a lot easier and fun than I anticipated
Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #20
HCO
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Edson , Alberta
The first is the 27 foot International. The lounge is in the back. The dinette is under the window, which gives a nice view when sitting, but it can also be folded down to make a huge L-shaped sofa. This is my all-time favorite lay-out.

That is a very desirable floor plan. I was just looking at L-shaped sofas today

So far this is what is I have come up with
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	27ft AS revised concept.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	154560  
Old 03-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1974 23' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
1947 25' Spartan , Manor
If you are itching to get on the road then I would suggest not going down the complete referb road. It could VERY easily take a year or more for someone with even solid knowledge about plumbing / welding / riveting / AC / heat etc etc etc to do this kind of project. Even if you are extremely handy there is a lot of head scratching and standing around figuring out the best way to do something (Vs just any old way). Just figure that your learning curve on the components is multiplied because of the multitude of systems in the trailer.
You have to build time into the project for things you won't expect. If you have a lot of time and space to work on it then I say go for it....just don't have a deadline:-)

I would be hesitant to try and move an exterior door. Not that it can't be done, but there are ribs that would need to be removed to make room for the new place and then ribs that would need to be replaced in the old hole, then a new body panel put back on. Just seems like a lot of work for what you get out of it IMO.

Once again, anything is possible, but you might not have this thing on the road for a year or more, especially if you're doing it alone.
Take pictures as you take stuff out, even if you don't plan on keeping it.
Good luck!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
I don't know if this will load, but what about a kitchen like this:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf airforums camper.pdf (50.3 KB, 60 views)
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1960 33' Custom
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Maybe you'd like elements of this too?

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f462...tml#post521121
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2012, 10:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
The Sea Ranch , California
Some days, just a sofa in a white Airstream, with lots of counter space, is exactly what I crave.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:15 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Glad to hear that you are keeping the bedroom, bathroom and kitchen locations where they are at. Again, I stress that I would work with the present location of all windows and doors. You can do it. It just makes the design more of a challenge. Believe me that is easier than moving a window or a door.

Dan
Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 PM   #26
HCO
1 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Edson , Alberta
It's fun trying to balance whats practical and what I desire, the pictures that truckasauraus shared is what I first had in mind, but 27ft just doesn't seem to be enough when divided by a private bedroom (a must). Now if only I had an Excella...

@Dan It was easy for me to get carried away with sketches and ideas but after I spent the day gutting the AS it really gave me a good picture of what I was up against and what I had to work with. I'm still tossing ideas back and forth on how to make my kitchen as space efficient as possible but I've come to terms with leaving the essentials in the same general area

Does anyone know how get the plastic/paint off the interior walls in order to get a finish similar to the outside of the airstream? I stumbled upon a picture and I am curious on how diffcult it would be to accomplish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream-restoration[1].jpg
Views:	267
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	154563  
Old 03-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #27
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
First off, to our group. I think by now you see that there is tons of top-flight knowledge here that will let you achieve your dreams in terms of working on your TT (travel trailer).

Not from me, by the way, I am no expert BUT, I do want to say this:

Here's a crazy idea: why not just clean it up keeping the original design, and just get on the road and camp in it for a while?

I mean, even that will be a big chore in a TT that has suffered some flood damage, since I imagine you would need to replace the floor, remove the lower inner panels (which means removing all the furniture and appliances) so that the by now rotten-smelling filthy dirty insulation in the walls and under the sub-floor could be removed and replaced.

You just might find THAT a big enough job!

If your interest in a total re-build isn't satisfied by that, you would have at least had a chance to look at the other existing AS floor layouts, and see which one could be modified to suit your ultimate design desires without becoming your life's work.

After all, you ARE buying this to be able to get out and camp, aren't you...? I bet your family is, assuming you are married with children.

In any event, good luck with it, and I hope you can get clarity on what it is you are really wanting to do.
Old 03-29-2012, 08:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I agree with Aage. Nothing like just going camping and meeting some other Airstream owners and looking at their Streams to get a good prospective on how you want to design your Stream.

Dan