Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Helena , MT
Question Rear Bathroom Restoration 1976 International

I'm looking ofr help on how to restore rear bathroom countertops and bath/shower. I am unable to find much info anywhere and could really use some help. Any advice someone can offer for the following would be appreciated:
1) sanding the surface?? I have seen references about this, but could use more details... does one need to sand prior to painting?
2) painting countertops? Is there a specific paint that is best? I've also heard folks talk about sanding after painting.....??
3) plugging holes?

I've pretty much gutted the rest to update, but didn't want to tackle the bathroom for a couple years. It's not too bad, but could use a good cleaning and freshening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks in advance!
gretaseyr56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Dickinson , North Dakota
Hi and welcome to the forums. I think you'll find that many will say surface preparation is the key. I think Frank (62Overlander) has done some repairs with ABS glue and fiberglass cloth. Then a good paint system for plastic would be best. You need something that will adhere well to plastics and allow a little flex. I've used the PPG flexible surface primer with great results. We are also in the process of using the Tubby DIY bathtub refinishing kit on the tub in our '71. So I'll know in a few days what my opinion on that is!

Make sure as you disassemble you take great care in some of those little plastic moldings. They can be kind of a pain to get out and gain access to the rivets and they become quite brittle after 40 years. Good luck and take lots of photos!

Ryan

Ms. Streamy - 1971 Overlander Restoration Blog
chilipepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 11:57 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Helena , MT
Rear Bathroom Restoration 1976 International

Thanks, Ryan, for your response! Great leads..... I'll follow up today on the sites and products you mentioned. Interesting that you mentioned the molding - been checking those out. Thanks for the advice.

I'll report back with some pics and maybe additional questions..... I'll also be interested to hear your opinion on the Tubby DIY....

Greta
gretaseyr56 is offline   Reply With Quote