Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
, Ontario
Pull-out bed plans

We are remodelling our 1977 Sovereign and have pulled out the original gaucho(sp?) that was in our trailer. We are debating what to replace it with and have decided on building our own L shaped sofa, with one of the legs of the "L" being the side that pulls out to make a bed. We are wondering if we should put the pull out on the curb side "Leg" t or the Front side "Leg" of the L ? Does anyone have any plans that they would care to share on building a new bed/sofa or point me in the direction of online plans? We are capable of building it ourselves but it would be nice to know it was a "tried and true" plan. I have spent hours searching the internet for plans and although I have seen everything from You tube videos to personal journals of restoration, I can't find any plans with dimensions. Can anyone help? Thank you!
Mike
Old 05-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
what are u doing with your old gaucho?
ASTailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
, Ontario
We are taking it to the recyclers. The corner welds had broken numerous times and the frame was bent in a couple of places; we just decided we wouldn't want to give someone the headache of fixing it (for the 6th time!). I first tore off all of the upholstery because it too was in really bad shape. So at this point it is just a sad old broken skeleton of itself.
Old 05-16-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
Well I guess it broke! Post pics if your replacement
Old 05-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
, Ontario
Well we have pretty much decided on an L shape with the street side being the pull out. Still no plans drawn up (looks like we will be creating our own) but I certainly will post pics once things get rolling. First we need to fix the many leaks we have found and reseal the vista view windows that the PO had messed up!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:56 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Mike, i have the same model and want to do the same, however, I will have to find a carpenter. If you do happen to draw out your plans and dimensions would you mind sharing? Or i would offer to pay as well. Much thanks!

StreamerFred
streamerfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 05:30 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Hi Mike...what did you ever end up doing with the dining area in your "77" Sovereign? I am getting ready to do the same in my daughter's "74" Tradewind. Thanks!

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA - 5
WBCCI - 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 05:03 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
The PO of our 25’ Tw removed what I think is called a “gaucho” sofa, replaced the flooring and added a free standing Ikea sofa bed: BEDDINGE LÖVÅS Sofa bed - Knisa turquoise, - - IKEA
A jack knife device that folds into a bed. It's a very low sofa for me but the slatted frame is a very comfortable mattress base. One of my joys is reading a newspaper while having breakfast or lunch. That's why I considering building a simple dinette in that space and relying on the jackknife "gaucho" midship that can be switched back and forth with the Ikea model if necessary. I've seen some efficient set-ups in sailboats where there is more economy to space than in our trailers and I'm sure I can combine a sleep space arrangement with the cushions. Since I don't see reusing the previous gaucho I could part with it. I know the major parts are there plus the PO left me a bag of hardware to go with it.
BicenTw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:12 PM   #9

1975 31' Sovereign
Pflugerville , Texas
Mike,

I am also interested in your plans for this. Sounds like exactly what I need for my 75 Sovereign. We are starting from scratch with a blank slate and I would like to get the most sleeping area possible.
Interested to see the photos and plans.

Thanks!

Bryan
bryan_in_atx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Seems fmzjwill is no longer with us. He has not posted in over a year.

I wonder if anyone has ever totally refurnished a gutted trailer with IKEA. Seems like a good promo project.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 07:29 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Kimberton , Pennsylvania
I tried positioning the mattress from the Ikea sofa bed which the PO used to replaced the gaucho in the fore and found it “almost" to be too snug a fit. The edges press against the fore and aft walls adding a lot of friction through the sofa to bed switch movement but the thickness of the mattress presents a good seat height in the sofa position and a comfortable bed for sleeping. Were considering leaving that Ikea futon style mattress in the mid trailer area and buying a slightly smaller Ikea sofa bed for the fore area.
BicenTw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 09:56 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Bowler , Wisconsin
Was it hard getting the gaucho out? I am converting my Sovereign from a double into a single bed.
Memas penny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memas penny View Post
Was it hard getting the gaucho out? I am converting my Sovereign from a double into a single bed.
Gaucho will easily fit through the door turned sideways. If it's got the spring that goes from the back to the seat, take the wood from the seat off, it'll let the spring push down through the bottom and the back will gold down flat making it even easier.
As far as getting it out/disconnected. It'll be several screws holding it in, just have to find them all, which isn't to hard. Patience.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1981 28' Airstream 280
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_in_atx View Post
Mike,

I am also interested in your plans for this. Sounds like exactly what I need for my 75 Sovereign. We are starting from scratch with a blank slate and I would like to get the most sleeping area possible.
Interested to see the photos and plans.

Thanks!

Bryan
Bryan, I'm from austin as well, old like to come see your progress if I can? I'm just going to begin my new project since losing my MH to a fire.
Old 09-30-2015, 09:11 AM   #15

1975 31' Sovereign
Pflugerville , Texas
Sure thing. I am not too far along. Would welcome any advice, assistance, or criticisms. It's finally starting to cool down so I will be spending more time out there. I live in Pf and have it in an RV lot nearby
bryan_in_atx is offline   Reply With Quote