Old 08-12-2008, 08:38 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
ozark , Missouri
I love the curved couch. Nice plan..
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwrussom View Post
I started out asking about the potential for developing a spec custom renovation business on this thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f348...key-43873.html

I thought I might get more input here.

Here is the first of a few plan ideas I have been playing with. I'll have the others up shortly. It is based around a 26' trailer. This idea sort of started the concept of putting together projects as specs. I was looking to build one as an office, living area. I welcome your thoughts.

76sovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Showing is better than telling. Go to a local airstream dealer, take two flat sheets and some sheet garters for the corners. Make the bed in a corner bed unit! those have access from two sides. It's a sweaty time consuming chore for a task that should take 5 minutes. Perhaps if you could come up with a COMFORTABLE mattress that folded up on the ends so you could get the sheets tucked in.

Paula
In our '05 International CCD 25' we had a corner "queen" that was a PIA to make!!!!! Most of our vintage trailers have twins and are much easier to make- still not as easy as a walk around. I covet a '70s era 30' so I can have a walk around queen- my husband prefers the more vintage units- but then again- he doesn't make the beds!!

Old 08-12-2008, 10:58 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
April, with the way you cruise through trailer renovations, I have a hard time believing you can't come up with a walk-around queen!

What is your Cruiser layout? The one I almost bought had a side wet-bath and twins in the back. You could convert those rear twins to a walk-around "queen" relatively easily with yours and Andy's skills.

Edit: Just noticed you now have a '56 Overlander, when the heck did that happen?

rwrussom--

I really like the creativity, and personally I love the curved booth you designed, and I like front dinettes in general. It just depends on what you want to do with your trailer, but I have no desire to have a sofa/gaucho or recliners in the front lounge area. I consider those to be a tremendous waste of space for my purposes and they don't suit my needs at all. Others obviously disagree, and that's the point-- it's a very personal thing.

However, I do believe you can come up with a spec design that appeals to a large audience, just keep in mind that many items will be custom and the price will skyrocket. It will be very difficult to see the benefits of economies of scale in this type of application, no matter how popular your products might become.

Anyway, I love the ideas, and keep 'em coming!

Good luck,
-Marcus
Old 08-13-2008, 12:03 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Hello again,

You asked about input about the walk around bed... in a perfect world that is a great thing to have! If there are two folks sleeping in the bed, one can get up without crawling over the other to get out of bed... it is also MUCH easier to make the bed. But, the sacrifice is one loses a lot of space for other things... In our Bambi we have both front and side gouchos... it makes for great seating when there are two of us, or 6 of us! It is a pain to make the beds each night, but that is the price we pay for such a tiny trailer!

I also think if folks are tall, a walk around bed is much better. Otherwise one person needs to be kinda short to fit in the beds with the curved corner.

I like the variety of front living space you have come up with. I like being able to sit at a table, and the choice of sitting in a chair or on a couch. If I only had a table choice I might find it crowded.

I still think storage is key. That is my biggest concern when choosing a layout. That, and being able to have room to move around. Also, if the trailer is designed for a couple ~ it is nice if the bedroom area can be shut off or private. That way if one partner is a early riser the other has a chance to sleep in. Or, if you have kids and they sleep up front you might have a little privacy.

Keep the designs coming!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi traveling in S Tardis ~ from the Great State of Jefferson
My blog: Yreka History
Old 08-13-2008, 12:21 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
Hi rwrussom,

As design and marketing are usually targeted to a specific buyer segment, and from your previous designs that do not have bunk beds/childrens space, I would assume you are designing for a single person or an older empty nest couple.

From a purely marketing standpoint, my wife and I are in the: 50's age group, empty nest couple, who plan on using our RV for our personal usage.

Here are a few things my wife and I critique while touring RV shows:

1) I am 6'3", even with dome showers, current RV's are a squeeze for me to fit.
If I were designing a solution, the entire bathroom area would be a water tight designed for a two person shower at once, with a seating area.

2) A lot of current RV's have a kindergarten sized toilet. At 6'3", setting on the toilet with my knees up around my chin is no fun. I would design a toilet for adult sizes people.

3) We entertain friends and family outside, under our awning. That is why we are camping.

We would want our RV to feature an attach outside grill, table, lights, to allow us to enjoy the great outdoors.

The "U" shaped interior entertainment areas in your design are not primary use areas for us. My wife does not want people going in and out of our limited interior space.

3) My wife at home sleeps on the (left) side of the bed. At 2 Am, if she has to go to the bathroom, she does not want to crawl over me or down to the end of the bed, to go to the facilities. That is a deal killer.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:23 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Customized Airstreams

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...eam-44344.html

If you haven't looked at this thread you ought to!

and then there's this one
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...ct=6041&cat=16

with more info at www.customairstream.com - holy mackeral if he didn't replace the frame, all the axle upgrades in the world won't keep this from bending like a pretzel!

Paula
Old 08-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by utee94 View Post
April, with the way you cruise through trailer renovations, I have a hard time believing you can't come up with a walk-around queen!

What is your Cruiser layout? The one I almost bought had a side wet-bath and twins in the back. You could convert those rear twins to a walk-around "queen" relatively easily with yours and Andy's skills.

Edit: Just noticed you now have a '56 Overlander, when the heck did that happen?

-Marcus
All of our trailers have the rear bath- therefore they don't lend themselves to walk around queens. The '56 Overlander happened this weekend- totally perchance for $500 It is in amazing shape!!!