Old 03-24-2015, 04:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prospect , Kentucky
Painting the fiberglass endcap

Hello,
I have a 1957 Wanderer that has one aluminum end cap and one fiberglass end cap. I plan to polish the aluminum end cap, but need to paint the fiberglass one. Are you able to use an interior latex paint, or does it need a special paint? Thanks for any help!

Old 03-24-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Interior endcap I assume? A few Argosy's had fiberglas exterior end caps.

Krylon Fusion paint for plastics works well for painting interior end caps. Mask well and use lots of ventilation when doing it.

Old 03-24-2015, 05:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Airstream interior end caps are vacuum formed ABS. Krylon Fusion is a good choice. I am not sure how it well it weathers on an exterior cap. Some Argosies have steel others have fiberglass for exterior endcaps.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Airstream interior end caps are vacuum formed ABS. Krylon Fusion is a good choice. I am not sure how it well it weathers on an exterior cap. Some Argosies have steel others have fiberglass for exterior endcaps.
I used Krylon Fusion on the lid of the propane tank cover in 2011. It still looks good today, a little sun faded but good.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:05 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Prospect , Kentucky
Thank you everyone! I will look into Krylon Fusion, and yes, it is for the interior endcap.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:46 AM   #6
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaralyn View Post
Hello,
I have a 1957 Wanderer that has one aluminum end cap and one fiberglass end cap. I plan to polish the aluminum end cap, but need to paint the fiberglass one. Are you able to use an interior latex paint, or does it need a special paint? Thanks for any help!

Hi barbaralyn, do a small out of site paint test on the area first, there is another thread going where someone had used the krylon fusion on their end cap and when they taped a piece of trim on while doing some riveting, when they pulled the tape the paint came off. I suspect they had a fiberglass end cap and that Krylon fusion may not bond to it. I have had great durable success painting my ABS end cap with the Krylon but I am not sure if it the best paint for yours if it is fiberglass.

To do a paint test:
Work in a small out of site area, lightly sand, clean and prep the area as per normal.
Tape off a small area and apply the paint of your choice for the amount of coats recommended
After it has cured up a couple days you can test how well its bonded
First test is a tape test, apply a piece of clear tape (with and end folded over so you easily pull it off) to the area and firmly scrape it on, quicky rip it off, do it a couple of times if paint comes of the paint has not properly bonded.
Next test is the scratch test, just as it sounds...scratch the area with your fingernails or a dime whenever, if the paint flakes off it is not properly bonded, if it just scuffs or dulls the surface area you are fine.

Try different paint options until you are sure you have good adhesion, then paint away ☺
Old 03-26-2015, 09:49 AM   #7
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Here is the thread I did when I Krylon Fusioned my ABS end caps

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f39/im-restoring-my-1970s-end-caps-finally-124989.html
Old 03-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
modesto , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post

Not all Air Stream end caps are the same. The year in question is 1957. They were aluminum and Fiberglass. Not ABS.

Barbaralyn: To answer your question. Yes. A good Latex pain will work great on your Fiberglass end cap.

I have used Latex and Zolatone on interior. Latex is the easiest, looks good and can be wiped clean.

-Dennis