Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Sherfield English , Hampshire
Send a message via MSN to Moonstruck Send a message via Yahoo to Moonstruck
Original, Restored or Customised?

Here I am folks! My 200th posting! I thought it was time to stop chasing SilverTwinkie on the backs of others and start some more threads!

I'm having enormous fun, found the answer to almost every question I've had and found, especially in the community spirit supporting Terry and Marie , people at their very best! It's inspiring! I'll be around for a while yet!

The Thread...
It would be nothing if you can't start a bit of controversy!
I Love contrast!
I look at the very old Airstreams, even those restored faithfully to beautiful glory and I want to see a modern interior that is beautiful, tasteful and utilitarian.
What do you think? ...want? ...have done? ...desire?
Being a photographer, I'm very visual. If you have it - flaunt it!
Marc

Old 03-29-2007, 06:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck
Here I am folks! My 200th posting! I thought it was time to stop chasing SilverTwinkie on the backs of others and start some more threads!

I'm having enormous fun, found the answer to almost every question I've had and found, especially in the community spirit supporting Terry and Marie , people at their very best! It's inspiring! I'll be around for a while yet!

The Thread...
It would be nothing if you can't start a bit of controversy!
I Love contrast!
I look at the very old Airstreams, even those restored faithfully to beautiful glory and I want to see a modern interior that is beautiful, tasteful and utilitarian.
What do you think? ...want? ...have done? ...desire?
Being a photographer, I'm very visual. If you have it - flaunt it!
Marc
Hi Marc; You must be a war monger, are you? Looks as you want to start one. Some of us see it as "keep it original" others "just go camping" and the rest of us " fit my style and comfort". Good luck with your very controversial subject, and oh yes, I belong to the third group. Thanks, "Boatdoc"

Old 03-29-2007, 06:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Rules of Conflict

I want this thread to be interesting, visual, open-minded and fun! If we're going to have a war, let the mines be whoopee cushions and the ammunition custard pies!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 28' Funeral Coach
Belleview , Florida
This topic is very much in vogue with the car guys too. Resto-mod is the term over there on that side.

Personally my coach has never been intended as an RV... but now it serves my needs and I love it.

I removed a 4 place club seating arrangement up front behind the drivers chair. I replaced the Flex-Steel leather captains chairs with new more modern looking seats in the driver and co-pilot positions.

I added a 20" LCD to the wall with a computer below. A 7" LCD stereo in the dash was added and hooked into the mini-CCD camera in the rear window.

Of course the first thing I did was to remove the "casket chamber" that was taking up the area that is now a walk through into the rear of the coach. This is where all my hanging samples live.... as well as anything I need to carry, be it popup 10x10 tent or up to 4 bicycles. Oh, and I did add four shelves for all my folded samples up in the coach on the drivers side. These can come out on a minutes notice as they're on wall brakets.

It's still original. Just highly modified to suit my needs.
Glen Coombe AIR #8416
1984 28' Funeral Coach
Former Rolling Showroom & PuttLab (now party bus)
"I'm not an expert. But I did sleep in an Airstream last night."
GlenCoombe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 06:40 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Pictures!

Pictures please... ...and that goes for you lot too!
Old 03-29-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Marc,
This question really hit the spot for us. We are awaiting a 62 Bambi which I hope to have by the end of April. Yes, I will post photos as soon as I get her home! I have some classic cars that I have always felt should be kept to their original roots. Yet, with the Bambi, I am leaning towards an updated interior in that I had hoped to have a flat scren tv, computer access and modern amenities. Can This be done and still retain the original look?? It's so small that the computer will probably be a laptop that will actually be used on my lap vs. a designated area inside somewhere. Another question is the impact on the value of changes to the originality. At least I have some time to think about this. I will be watching this thread closely for responses and comments.
Thanks,
George
Old 03-29-2007, 08:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Hi George,
you have hit the spot for me on the subject of computers in an AS. I will shortly be getting an old translucent iMac which I will strip of the body and install in my Airstream. I will plug it straight into my LCD TV screen - most of them nowadays have a PC input. If you can't get an iMac - get a Mac Mini
Marc
Old 03-29-2007, 09:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Marc:

This subject often comes up on the forum. Here’s an example of another recent thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forum...zed-10858.html

Sergei
Old 03-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
2005 30' Safari
North Port , Florida
I'm going for all three. My 77' Sovereign is a going to be a complete redo, set up for sattelite, flip down LCD TV's, nice cozy place for the computer, new real wood cabinets, wood floors etc... My 54 Flying Cloud is going to look original, seeing as I have all the original appliances, but will have hidden accesories. My fathers 81 Excella is just getting cabinets replaced with real wood, and fixing that crappy couch in the front.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado

hi marc- decided on a complete re-do of the '72 OL, since there was so much bad sub-floor in back, so much ruined or missing tambour, and so much else that didn't do much for me. Changed the rear completely to have a full-time queen bed with small toilet-shower area, and made more countertop space in the kitchen. Used maple and birch woods mostly, with a few others thrown in. Hope to use it this summer, finally! -tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	115-1541_IMG.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	34773  
Old 03-29-2007, 09:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Eureka , California
I can appreciate all approaches, and am grateful that there are those who will preserve the original materials and layout. I, however, like to tweak, and loooove to create, so this is my interpretation:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	boomerang.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	198.2 KB
ID:	34774  
Old 03-29-2007, 10:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1986 31' Sovereign
1975 25' Tradewind
1967 17' Caravel
Wow! Great posts tphan and Suquoia! Love the pictures! I think it's true to say that for some people engaging with something iconic is much more exciting when there is room to add your own contribution. For other people it's akin to scrawling "Nice One Leonardo" in the corner of the Mona Lisa!
Old 03-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You may find this article from the Fall 2004 Airstream Life magazine interesting...talks about the four major ways to maintain & use a vintage trailer and is written by our very own Fred (47WeeWind) Coldwell.

FWIW...Maxwell is featured as the "refurbished" trailer...not quite sure what we are doing with Birdie yet...lots has been done by the previous owner, not sure how much we can undo.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 11:04 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
my Airstream, my art project

My trailer was in fantastic shape and had barely been used. The PO had reupholstered everything in a very tasteful sage green, had new custom drapes made, put down nice berber carpet and had the counter tops and fold-out table relaminated. Most people would have been delighted. But for me it was just too boring. I ripped it all out, including the bulkhead dividers. I think Airstreams beg to be renovated because they are such an interested shape.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Airstream int_1.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	34776  

and
Jupiter (the Golden Retriever)
Blu_Hwy_Lady is offline   Reply With Quote