Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Rancho Palos Verdes , California
no cell phone signal inside my Safari

Does anyone have a suggestion for increasing cell phone service inside my Airstream. I also use a Verizon Hotspot that has the same problem. Is there an antenna that could help?
hollywoodair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Take a look at something like this:

Wilson Electronics Inc.

I have successfully used a direct wire antenna amplifier for both my cell phones, and my air cards, for several years. I also had an occasion to use the wireless setup of a friend, and it also worked fine.

If you have an external antenna connection on your phone, sometimes all you need to do is get an antenna outside of the aluminum shell to get an acceptable signal. Unfortunately, it seems that most cell phones don't have an external antenna connection these days.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Check for FBI and CIA bugs. They can block those kinds of devices

Strange as mine works fine.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodair View Post
Does anyone have a suggestion for increasing cell phone service inside my Airstream. I also use a Verizon Hotspot that has the same problem. Is there an antenna that could help?
Try to use your phone or place your hotspot next to a window. Preferably one pointing toward the cell tower, if you have any idea where it might be. If you have an Android phone, look for an APP called OpenSignal. It will help you locate the cell tower that you are using. If that doesn't work then look into an amplifier or repeater. The Wilson link posted above is a good place to start.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 12:18 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If you have an antenna connector on your cell phone and hotspot device, you can add an external antenna to get a better cell signal. If you do not have these connectors, you can still use an external antenna; but you will need to purchase an induction cradle for you phone or hotspot device. In remote areas, an amplifier can also be used to boost a weak signal; although, this won't help if there is absolutely no signal to receive.

Please provide details on the phone and mobile hotspot device you have, so we can determine if they have antenna connectors. Or, you can check for connectors yourself. Then, we can provide more detailed assistance.

===========

Link to Wilson Sleek induction cradle, amplifier and external antenna kit:

Sleek 4G-V Wilson Electronics 4G LTE Cell Phone Signal Booster - 815125 - 4GV, 10 Reviews : 3Gstore.com

Note: Above link is for example purposes only. Other devices may work as well or better, and be cheaper from other sources.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
My Safari seems to be a big cell phone signal block. I even have trouble with weak wifi inside. If I move outside the trailer it is often a bar or two better. I think it is the double wall aluminum skin?

I added the Wilson 18" Shorty through-roof RV antenna. It does not need a ground plane like many trucker antennas. It is mounted on the refrigerator vent cap and the cable runs down through the existing vent hole (no new hole to drill in skin).

The antenna was a huge improvement! I use it for the cellphone and for the ATT Elevate hotspot. So far I've not needed a signal booster. Just double check that you get the right antenna length for your carrier frequency bands.

As Phoenix mentions, phones, cellular modems or hotspots with external antenna connectors work best with the antenna, but you can get a cradle if your phone does not have one.

Once you get the antenna set up maybe consider a wired or bluetooth head set, cordless phone, or speaker phone so you are not limited by the antenna cable.
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote