Old 04-02-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Wendell , Massachusetts
New Platform for queen size bed

We want to replace our short queen mattress with a regular queen but wondered what kind of plywood to use for extending the platform. And want to be sure the plywood doesn't warp. Getting ready to start the summer camping season so would appreciate any help you can give me.
Thanks.

Old 04-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #2

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Sparks , Nevada
I just put ours on the existing base and figured I would extend it if necessary. Never found the need.

2015 F350 CC 4X4 6.7 Diesel
2010 27FB Silver Cloud "The Silver Spoon"

Old 04-02-2016, 12:57 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Wendell , Massachusetts
Well never thought about that. We were going to extend by 5 inches and is a memory foam and thought it might need the support? If you needed to extend how would you have done that?
Old 04-02-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England

Not sure this will work for you but we just put the bolster from the couch behind the top of the mattress (between the mattress and the wall) and it extends the mattress about 5". The extra 5" under our feet doesn't sag noticeably and we put a memory foam topper on it which makes it 100x more comfortable. Not sure the plywood is needed, but if you find you do, you might consider a hinged piece at the foot of the bed with some form of support when deployed. That way you don't have the extra length getting in your way during the day.
Old 04-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Wendell , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Not sure this will work for you but we just put the bolster from the couch behind the top of the mattress (between the mattress and the wall) and it extends the mattress about 5". The extra 5" under our feet doesn't sag noticeably and we put a memory foam topper on it which makes it 100x more comfortable. Not sure the plywood is needed, but if you find you do, you might consider a hinged piece at the foot of the bed with some form of support when deployed. That way you don't have the extra length getting in your way during the day.

Thanks Steve. Our old original mattress needed replacement anyway, but last year we also did the extension with some solid form at the head of the bed. Found a good price on a memory foam on Amazon so bought it. And we'll try putting it on the current frame and see what happens. But just in case, I'd still like to know what people think about what type of plywood to use so the extension won't warp.
Old 04-02-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I'd match thickness to what is already there. If you are going to make this a permanent platform (no hinge at the foot) you could use almost anything, but I wouldn't go much thinner than what is there. Keep in mind that the mattress, being longer, will stick out that much more, making access to the underbed area that much more difficult.

If you are going to make it drop-down, I suspect that you will use about 2" of space when it is dropped down, so I'm not sure that you will gain much.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England

Just had another thought. Don't know if I'll be able to describe this - but imagine a 6" deep plywood board the length of the bed (and widths of the current platform - 3/4" maybe?). Now imagine two other pieces of plywood on the far left and far right of the board at the foot of the bed and they are whatever the height is to the bottom of the mattress - say 18" maybe? Each of those pieces is hinged to the bottom of the main board and swing down to make "feet". You could probably also have a third in the center of the longer board for even more stability. When needed, just set it up for sleeping and then fold it and store it under the bed to get that space back. You could also use it as an outdoor coffee table just in case 😀

I'm no carpenter (obviously) but this could be a simple solution if you need additional support.

It could also be a horrifically stupid idea 😀 you be the judge 😀
Old 04-03-2016, 06:20 PM   #8
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
My queen came with 2 pieces of 1/4" ply under it but it is an east/west bed (90 degrees to trailer length). To lengthen it, I would use 3/8" ply as a replacement to the piece at that end and avoid sitting on the edge.

Sirs Gawain & Galahad
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 06:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1989 32' Excella
Sharon Springs , New York
The PO of the PO of our AS bought it w/o a rear bedroom (it was office space). They allegedly had the space converted into two single beds with a nightstand between them by the Airstream factory shop. They (whoever) did the job using 3/8" finished plywood with piano hinges to access the space under the mattresses, looks very well done and sturdy. However, my SO and I are putting in a queen-size(RV) mattress built on a frame (1"x4") with the same type of 3/8" finished plywood spanning the twins and resting on the existing woodwork. We are installing hinges/gas struts on the new frame to access the areas underneath. We're losing the center nightstand, but I have enough room to make side shelves/cubbies. What is also nice is that you can change the bedroom back to twins very easily if so desired. We're taking out one of the hall closet door/mirrors because its both cracked and very heavy. With some luck, this will offset the added weight of our queen-sized setup and keep the unit reasonably balanced weight-wise. Sorry, it took a bit to tell you that 3/8" plywood appears to work. Good luck and we hope we could help...
James and Rebecca
Old 04-04-2016, 08:25 AM   #10

2007 30' Classic S/O
Orlando , Florida
The strongest plywood is, I believe, Baltic Ply. Available in various thicknesses and for your application 3/8" would be suitable ... it is made with seven layers. Be prepared to cross the palm of the supplier with plenty of silver coin .. it isn't cheap!
Old 04-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Wendell , Massachusetts
Thanks for all your answers to my question about plywood. I think the baltic plywood answer is what I needed as regular plywood didn't look like what was under the bed now. And it looks like maybe I can buy a smaller piece than 4x8 as I might only need 5x2 to extend the current frame. After putting the memory foam mattress on the current frame it looks like it might not need much support as it only extends over the board by 5.5 inches. We'll see how it works out and then maybe just use a thin metal piece (maybe 1/8 inch) screwed to the current board. I really didn't want to put legs or support under the extension since it would get in the way of the drawer underneath. I'll update on what we end up doing. Thanks again.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Suzie:

We just did what you are talking about on a 2007 classic. You will be provided with much more "get around" room is you remove the sliding door in the bedroom - quite a redundant piece of wood, in my opinion.

We also tried to minimize wood waste, but in the end we had to bite the bullet and purchase a full 4' X 8' sheet of 7 ply 3/8" plywood.

We cut out a 55" X 36" piece to fabricate the extension. We centered the 55" on the platform with a 5 1/2" overhang at the foot of the bed. We experimented with other overhang and width, but determined that any shorter length or width would not properly hold the sheets, blankets, spreads when made up with hospital corners.

To hold the 55" X 36" in place I used only 6 wood screws at 3/4" long each.

The additional thickness of the 3/8" plywood is not noticed at all, and the weight of the mattress supplies sufficient mass and strength such that there is no indication of the 3/4"' screws not being sufficiently strong to bond the 3/8" plywood to the original bed platform.

For many reasons the addition of a quality full sized queen mattress to the bedroom of the rear bed trailer was a wise choice.

PM me if you have any questions.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:17 AM   #13

2007 30' Classic S/O
Orlando , Florida
Suzie

Baltic Ply is available in 5'x5' sheets as well as 4'x8'. No need to cut it, just place on top of the existing plywood and secure it with double sided tape. (no need to screw it down, with less than 6" overhang the weight of the new mattress, as noted by 87MH, will do that) This can be a no tools needed job!
Old 04-05-2016, 08:13 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Wendell , Massachusetts
Thanks. May still need to secure better than tape as it would be a bit harder to lift when wanting to access undernea