Old 05-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
We've got lights! ... mostly

So we spent part of the weekend working on trailer lights and we've got them! Brakes, running, turns all are working or at least have voltage except for the back up lights and the running lights on the front end cap. Since the trailer light wiring is new we weren't sure what was going on with the front lights until we found a chewed off extra circuit in the original wiring. A volt test confirmed that the front lights were on their own circuit and in series. Now to figure out where the supply was. I posted a question to Eubanks who has a similar year and model. He had a similar issue and found his supply circuit in the front left corner. So we tried there but no luck. I guess this weekend I will be removing the rest of the lower front interior panels. I was really hoping to get this solved without more demo. Any suggestions?

Old 12-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
So it only took me 6 months...

...at this rate I will be done; never. In all fairness it is way too hot to work inside a trailer during the summer in south Alabama. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I finally found our rat chewed wire after I pulled out the fresh water tank, front cabinetry and the inside skins. Then it was a simple matter of cutting splicing, heat shrinking and replacing the old lights with new. Hooked up to our truck and nothing! We could get running lights or brake lights or turn signals but none of them together. To make a very long story short, it wound up being the ball. We were using a stainless steel ball; it would not allow a proper ground. A quick swap to an old rusty ball and we were gold! (or amber and red if you prefer) I've attached a couple of pics for you.

~Melissa
Attached Images

Old 12-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hmmm... Your ground connection, or return, to your TV should not rely on the ball. It should be the white wire in the umbilical. If you only have a good ground connection with the rusty ball, then the white wire ground connection via the umbilical cord is bad. Either on the TV side or the trailer side or the connector itself. You need to get that fixed, or you may find yourself without lights and trailer brakes at an inopportune time.

Chris
Old 12-23-2013, 03:25 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Hey Chris,

Thanks for the input, I will check it out. I'm guessing its an issue on our tv side since we pulled all new for the trailer.

Merry Christmas!
Old 01-03-2014, 08:35 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Happy New Year!

Happy 2014 to everyone here on the forums, I hope its a great one!

Thus far 2014 is shaping up to be seriously cold and wet here in lower Alabama, but that's alright, maybe it will kill some mosquitos.

Well, I am still working on leaks. I really thought I had made some progress and fixing the vents definitely helped. There is no longer water flooding in the trailer.
Its now oozing.

Despite sealant and weatherstripping, the hatch doors still have damp areas below them and there is a persistent drip about two inches off the hinge side of the entry door. It is coming out of the wall. I have no idea from where. Any suggestions?

To all of you working on trailers as well ... May 2014 be the year we all hit the road. Good Luck!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:35 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Water can travel distances in these trailers. Look above and to the left or right of your leaks up to several feet to find them. It can be hard sometimes! Any protrusion through the skin, and any seam can be the culprit. Sometimes people just reseal everything to get it to stop leaking! We only had a couple but they definitely traveled a couple of feet before the water came out inside. And that was with the inner skins off! Good luck.

Kay
Old 01-06-2014, 10:41 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Progress, progress!

Had beautiful weather this weekend and I made some progress.

Resealed and installed a new skylight and gasket from VTS. It's so clean looking. It took almost 4 hours of scraping, soaking, prying and cursing to get all the old sealant out from around it. I hate silicone! After that it was a quick and easy install to get the new skylight in place.

The next day back to scraping and sealing. I stripped the old gasket from around the entry door, buffed off all the old adhesive and installed the new D gasket. It looks so much better; although I did almost give myself a concussion when the usual door slam just caused the door to bounce back open. Apparently the new gasket is going to need a little time to compress slightly.

I spent some time sealing leaks. Not sure if its my least favorite task but its pretty close.
Kay - I think I found that leak by the door. I found a loose rivet underneath the awning cover. When I squirted it with water it just sucked it right up. So it got multiple treatments with Captain Tolley's until it would no longer take in water. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I also couldn't get the hatch doors to leak again, of course I wasn't driving the water in at 35mph like our last rain storm, so I'm going to wait and see.

After being completely burnt out with scraping and cussing I decided to postpone window gaskets until next week and I moved indoors and started painting the plywood floor under the furniture. I am using Kilz floor paint and painting all of the under bed storage areas bright white. Better for visibility and just makes it all look so much cleaner. Not sure if its a bonus or not but it also makes the trailer smell like fresh paint.

Its slow but its progress. Now just a few thousand more items to go!
Old 01-06-2014, 10:46 AM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
ground wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
Hmmm... Your ground connection, or return, to your TV should not rely on the ball. It should be the white wire in the umbilical. If you only have a good ground connection with the rusty ball, then the white wire ground connection via the umbilical cord is bad. Either on the TV side or the trailer side or the connector itself. You need to get that fixed, or you may find yourself without lights and trailer brakes at an inopportune time.

Chris
Hey Chris,

I found that bad connection, wound up not being the tv. Someone, possibly me, might have forgotten to ground the white wire to the trailer. So its just been dangling back there like a little tail. Apparently grounds don't work when they aren't attached to anything.

Thanks again for the input!
Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 AM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
No Progress

No progress this weekend. I had barn chores to do. The goats will be kidding soon and the barn had to be ready, so Slim was neglected. Maybe this coming weekend.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:16 AM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Airstream ADD

It is a definite medical condition, although only someone else also experiencing Airstream ADD would recognize the signs.

Particularly characterized by the inability to focus on anything not aluminum. If you find yourself writing 'rivets' on what is supposed to be your grocery list, you too could be affected.

In extreme cases the symptoms get so bad that not only can you not focus on anything not aluminum, you can't focus on any one aluminum task. So you wind up jumping from task to task like a caffeinated Jack Russell terrier at a squirrel convention.

Guess where I'm at? A hint - at the rate I'm going, I am going to have to change my name to Twitch.

In an effort to slow down my deteriorating mental, err medical, condition I decided the only thing to do was get help. So I brought in some friends who helped me finish removing the belly pans so we could remove the last of the nasty insulation and paint the frame. You may be wondering why I didn't do this prior to pulling the new umbilical and making frame repairs. See mental/medical condition above.

With the help, we made amazing progress. In 4 hours belly pans were completely out, insulation gone, sanding started. Lack of daylight forced us in, but we planned to be out there the next day to finish the frame. The next day it rained, no biggie its South Alabama, the day after should be great. But instead this horrid, freezing, slippery stuff fell from the sky and coated every available surface. The only option; close the schools and businesses for a week, hide in our homes, preferably in front of a roaring fire and wait for it too leave. Did I mention the South Alabama thing. We don't do slippery frozen stuff. We have hurricanes - not frozen stuff! So, not much progress since the belly pan drop. But here are some photos.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belly pans.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	204697   Click image for larger version

Name:	ice.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	204698  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ice2 (1).JPG
Views:	86
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	204699  
Old 01-31-2014, 08:06 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
Quote:
like a caffeinated Jack Russell terrier at a squirrel convention
Things going slow-motion like Over The Hedge Movie's "Energy Drink Hammy"?

Good.

34th night below Zero coming up tonight. Bought a 270lb snowthrower and have burned gallon tankfulls twice/thrice weekly since Thanksgiving - the Airstream is preserved in crystalline dihydrogen monoxide stasis, an outdoor deep-space suspended animation module. I've peeked in twice since Christmas.

You have any idea how jealous some might be... that you have helping friends?

Earn this. Earn it. Make us proud.

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 03:06 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
[QUOTE=Wabbiteer;1410329]Things going slow-motion like Over The Hedge Movie's "Energy Drink Hammy"?

Ha! Glad I'm not the only one watching cartoons on my day off!

No snow blowers and the awful slippery stuff disappeared and we got two whole days of mid-sixties and sunny. I'm so confused.

But mid-sixties means frame paint, whoop whoop! I used Master Series. I know, I know...POR 15 is the best, what have I done, AHHHH! But, I really like this stuff. Way less prep than POR-15, cheaper and spreads easier and doesn't have to be topcoated. And it has excellent test results.

I have tried several varieties, POR-15, Phos-Pho and boat trailer paint and master series. The frame is a lot like Frankenstein's monster paint wise. Master Series is definitely my favorite.

So, frame is painted. A couple of areas need touch-up but otherwise its done.

Onward and upward!
Old 02-03-2014, 03:11 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Whats bribery among friends?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbiteer View Post
You have any idea how jealous some might be... that you have helping friends?
I have to have helping friends, my husband keeps threatening to drag Slim to the scrap yard. It's a matter of life and death!

Plus, I've taken to using beers like ET and Reeses. C'mon, just a little further, that's right one more can of paint.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:23 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Hey, we used Rustoleum on our frame! Whatever keeps the rust off.

Kay

Tags
sovereign

« King bed | Top | Inner skin »