Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Relocating a Bathroom

Good progress this weekend! I have moved the bathroom! It went from the back to the front. Of course, it's not operational but it is out of the way so we can drop the black tank and repair the floor. I was amazed but the floor is actually in really good shape. There is one area maybe 6" in diameter at the corner where the vanity meets the wall that is rotted out. Everything else in there is solid. The floor at the front door was so bad I was really fearing the worst.
The only things I lack before dropping the black tank are the cutting the vent stack loose and getting the toilet flange out. Anyone have any suggestions on the toilet flange? That thing is tough!
For those of you facing tub removal - use a heat gun to loosen the years of sealant, DON'T MELT THE TUB, just heat the drain for a few minutes. Then use a large pair of channel-lock pliers, put the handles in the drain, yep the handles and turn. Lefty loosey. Works like a champ.
For those of you trying to remove the bathroom without demoing everything else in the trailer - curse lots, drink a beverage when you get too frustrated and above all GO SLOW. It will come out. Seriously if you want more details PM me.
That 6" of rotten floor - the result of my oh so bright PO. Take a look at the attached pics. During some of his plumbing redos he managed to detach the vent stack from the wall, without support it sagged so water coming in the vent on the roof ran down the shell and onto the bath cabinet. His solution? Caulk the top of the bath cabinet. Riiiiiggggghhhhtt cause that's gonna stop the water. Instead the water runs across the top of the caulked bath cabinet, down the wall and onto the floor. Where it rotted the floor.
I thought about patching the floor in that area but the frame has separated in that one location and I don't know how to fix the aluminum channel and reattach everything without replacing the whole sheet of plywood at that location. Any suggestions/thoughts?
Well wish us luck, onward and mostly upward.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
And now the photos

photo 1 - detached vent stack
photo 2 - staining on vanity from the water puddling from detached vent stack
photo 3 - my relocated 'forward' bath
photo 4 - shower partition with detached laminate
photo 5 - redneck clamping system for gluing partitions
photos 6 - I love when the storm clouds are piling up but the sun is still shining - maybe a representative image for 'Slim'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2 (2).JPG
Views:	194
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	173779   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1 (2).JPG
Views:	198
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	173780  

Name:	photo 3 (2).JPG
Views:	196
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	173781   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3 (3).JPG
Views:	199
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	173782  

Name:	photo 4 (3).JPG
Views:	197
Size:	132.5 KB
ID:	173783   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4 (2).JPG
Views:	190
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	173784  

Old 12-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Short ribs and loose tanks!

Made some progress this weekend.
I unhooked the univolt and breaker box and threaded the wiring back through the interior skins. I managed to pull the interior lower skins without damaging the fiberglass endcap, cut out the old broken and swollen copper plumbing and cut loose the retro-fit toilet flange. And I didn't damage the black tank. Yay! I also removed the trim and the bananna wraps at the back end so I could see everything. And as per my usual MO, I found more questions to ask of the Air Forum members. If you have any experience with short ribs (the airstream, not the eating, kind) please check out the thread I posted under the floor and frame forum.
So now I am ready for black tank and bad floor removal, I hope.

No good pics for this thread unless you like univolt wiring diagrams or close ups of ribs and broken u-channels.

I will try to take a couple actual progress pics this week.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
long time, no post

Wow, its been awhile since my last post. I hadn't even realized how quickly the weeks were going until I looked at the date of my last post. Time flies when its Christmas.
I did make some progress this past weekend finally. Black tank is out! Thorough cleaning and leak test is next, it really looks to be in great shape and no visible cracks or leaks.
Old floor is out, it was also in suprisingly good shape. The back two inches and roughly an 8" diameter area at each corner were the only signs of rot. Poor Slim has 'saggy britches' right now.
I have been wire brushing the frame and preparing it for a coat of rust-treatment and trailer paint. I am using a locally available phosphoric rust treatment and a trailer paint made for saltwater boat trailers. Nope, Slim's not going swimming, but when you live as close to the coast as we do its always a good idea to use marine grade materials.
I also have the new floor cut out and dry fit. Now I just need a little sunshine so I can fiberglass the plywood. Maybe this weekend.
Oh and on a fun note I got my fabric for the cushions and santa brought some camping toys - camp chairs, stove, lantern. Cart before horse? Nah, not me.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
Slow progress is better than no progress

Well, as you might have guessed progress has been slow on Slim. We have been busy with everything else and it seems when we aren't busy it's been raining. No worries though, we will get there. Since my last post I have gotten the rear end and the bumper prepped and painted. It's nice to have a solid and protected frame. The new floor has also been cut out, dry-fitted and drilled and then given two good coats of fiberglass. I'm hoping this will offer added rot protection. It is now back in and bolted to the frame. Now I just need to get it reattached to the shell. And install the flashing under the skin to protect the floor edge and re-install the black tank and re-plumb and re-wire and re-install the interior skins and bath components and furniture and, and, and...
Old 02-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
on another note

So, I am trying to find out a little more about our trailer. I have posted the WBCCI numbers to the history thread. Hopefully they will be in one of the directories. And I have determined from reading other posts and comparing our serial number, I307J216, that we have the International model-30'-'67 model - made in Jackson Center - number 216 off the line. But, on the same badge but above the Land Yacht title is another number K190FF. Does anyone know what this number is for? I haven't found reference to extra numbers in other posts but this has to be fairly common since it is stamped in the badge.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
If we can be of help - let us know Vintagetraileracademy.com

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
It's Alive! ...again

I love a weekend of progress! So it's been awhile since I posted, my only excuse is it's been a busy couple of months. It was kidding time for the goats and harvest time for the strawberries which of course means jelly time, so I've been sidetracked.

But...we have a date. Maiden voyage June 22nd, less than two months away, time to get cracking! So over the last two weekends I fixed the broken waste vent stack, its nice and secure and actually sticks out above the roof now. I resealed all of the vents - cleaned, new trempro, EPDM flashing and extra trempro. Waiting on VTS to get some more covers in stock and that will be complete. I have re-gasketed baggage doors and made a door and frame for the old water heater hole. I have finished all of the flooring repair/replacement. The entire back four feet of flooring, sections at both rear baggage compartments and the front door. Slim is now nice and solid.

My father even graciously load tested the back end for me. 6'-5", 275lbs live load bouncing up and down on the back end of the trailer you just put back together is enough to drive anyone to drinking. But it all held and I now know just how strong rivets really are.

And then we put the wiring back together. That was a nail biter since I took it all apart months ago. But it is back together and all systems are a go. And it all looks so nice on Slims freshly wire brushed and painted one stop service center.

I also dropped one half of the belly pan so we can pull the umbilical and get the trailer lights operational. I hate belly pans, especially belly pans inhabited by long dead mice and possums! Yep, it was a possum.

Next up - the aforementioned trailer lights, flooring primer and prep and some bathroom flooring.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
I think a possum beats out the snake skin we found in our water heater..... .

Kay
Old 04-29-2013, 01:03 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
LOL, well I was terrified a snake was going to fall out and then I would kill myself trying to get out from under the trailer. Since a snakeskin probably would have caused a similar reaction I think you probably still win the 'what I found in there' award.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Snakes don't bother me, nor do spiders or most other creepy crawly things. Dead stuff doesn't bother me much (must be the nurse stomach I have). COCKROACHES, now they're a different subject. Hate those things!

Kay
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
AMEN!!! Cockroaches are some nasty critters!
Old 05-03-2013, 09:44 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Fairhope , Alabama
So I promised some pics

Here are pictures of some of my progress. You may notice a trend of missing mid-progress pics, I get busy with my project and forget all about the camera in my pocket. Oops.

Pictures are of my new floor and shiny new floor bolts, the flashing detail to protect the floor edge (Thanks ND10CentCan!), can you see all the trempro around those rivets? the shiny new/old bumper and the vent stacks and cleaning them up. I also added EPDM pond liner as a large gasket around the vent stack and sealed on top of that. Of course I didn't take pics. Haven't reinstalled the vent cover, waiting on VTS to get a few in stock so I will try and get some pics prior to putting those back on. Oh and there is a pic of my support staff too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	345.0 KB
ID:	184863   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0921.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	211.5 KB
ID:	184864  

Name:	IMG_0922.jpg