Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
Maineyak

2003 22' International CCD
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Kennebunkport , Maine
New Drapes For Front/Back Pano Windows [find in interior restoration]

We replaced our front and back pano window drapes on our '07 Safari 27'.
We chose to have custom drapes made to the trailer's measurement over "one size fits all, mass produced drapes". We are extremely pleased that we did go custom: very high quality face and backing fabric, fabricated by professional seamstresses, stitching is tight and accurate, pleats are full and distinctive, no sagging, top of drapes caress the bottom of the overhead cabinets and brings the Airstream to the level of a quality coach. Besides, these fine drapes were at least $300.00 less than the stock airstream drape panels.

We ordered our drapes from JPA Drapes of Northampton, PA

Four attached photos: first two are before (stock drapes) the last two show the new drapes.

[attach][attach]
[attach][attach]
234093[/attach]
[/attach][/attach]
[/attach]

Mainiac
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00166.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	234090   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00167.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	234091  

Name:	DSC00171.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	234092   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00172.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	234093  

frechettec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
The new drapes, with the very nice pleats look like the ones that Airstream put in their trailers years ago. Somewhere along the way they decided to make just flat sheet drapes with no pleats, and ones that don't close well to boot.

One of my jobs this spring is to make a new set of drapes for the front of my FC 20'. The only issue that I see is that the tract to hold them is really short for the pleated drapes and they will wind up covering the windows a bit more than I would like.

This will be the third set of pleated pano window drapes I will have made. It took me some time to learn how to sew and make things line up, but the results have been very worthwhile.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 02:29 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
1968 22' Safari
Eaton Rapids , Michigan
What a difference! They're beautiful. I'm happy for you.
Trinity0414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
That looks superb! We'd love to have new drapes made. Might have to stop in Northampton on our way to Ohio this June.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Your new drapes are what they should be and complement your A/S beautifully. I am really surprised at the cheap look of the old flat panels--not good, Airstream!

Vivian
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Makes your Safari look like a Classic.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:58 AM   #7

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Paul , Minnesota
We would like to do this with our 2007 25' Safari. What measurements did you give them for the drapes?
Borderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
I ordered drapes to replace our originals from JPA last August. I liked the idea of custom fit pleated drapes (our originals were pleated and I liked the look). JPA claimed to have extensive experience with Airstreams which also gave me confidence in working with them. It wasn't cheap, $1,300 for a full set of replacements. And, it wasn't quick...about two months...but I expected it would take time for a quality product. I provided exact measurements to the 1/8 inch for all drapes. Unfortunately, when my order arrived everything had to be returned because they didn't fit or align properly. I returned everything at the beginning of October. Despite my monthly check-ins on the order and promises to "get right on it" they didn't get going on it until about two weeks ago. Now, it's been 8 months and I still have nothing to show for my $1,300 order. I don't often post public complaints about businesses, but I feel it is necessary in this case due to the way my order has been handled by JPA. My next action with them will be to request a full refund.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:23 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Much neater appearance than the original curtains, very nice. We have been looking at alternatives as well.

A friend showed us their trailer where Can-Am Airstream had extended the curtain tracks farther back on the pano window so the curtains can be drawn back to allow full view out the front panos. As it is, you loose about a foot of view on each side where the curtains rest when opened.

cheryl k
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:21 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
kennebunkport , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borderdog View Post
We would like to do this with our 2007 25' Safari. What measurements did you give them for the drapes?
Borderdog,
When you contact JPA, she sends you an email which includes instructions and a form for measurements. Clear, concise and easy.
Mainiac
frechette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:26 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2002 22' International CCD
kennebunkport , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad518 View Post
I ordered drapes to replace our originals from JPA last August. I liked the idea of custom fit pleated drapes (our originals were pleated and I liked the look). JPA claimed to have extensive experience with Airstreams which also gave me confidence in working with them. It wasn't cheap, $1,300 for a full set of replacements. And, it wasn't quick...about two months...but I expected it would take time for a quality product. I provided exact measurements to the 1/8 inch for all drapes. Unfortunately, when my order arrived everything had to be returned because they didn't fit or align properly. I returned everything at the beginning of October. Despite my monthly check-ins on the order and promises to "get right on it" they didn't get going on it until about two weeks ago. Now, it's been 8 months and I still have nothing to show for my $1,300 order. I don't often post public complaints about businesses, but I feel it is necessary in this case due to the way my order has been handled by JPA. My next action with them will be to request a full refund.
Nomad,
I really feel bad about your negative experience. I don't know what went astray but our experience was totally opposite.

Mainiac
frechette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 10:57 PM   #12
Maineyak

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Kennebunkport , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckottum View Post
Much neater appearance than the original curtains, very nice. We have been looking at alternatives as well.

A friend showed us their trailer where Can-Am Airstream had extended the curtain tracks farther back on the pano window so the curtains can be drawn back to allow full view out the front panos. As it is, you loose about a foot of view on each side where the curtains rest when opened.

cheryl k

Cheryl,
Excellent point and a good solution to boot. I'm pondering about placing "U" shaped gizmos, one for the top and one for the bottom of the opened drapes--squeezing and holding the pleats tight--the pressure of drapes would hold the "U's" in place. This would afford much more of a view and help maintain the pleats. Thanks for the idea Cheryl, I'm going to the hardware store tomorrow for parts to fabricate these gizmos.

Maniac
Old 03-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Thumbs up JPA Update

Quote:
I received our new drapes from JPA yesterday and installed them this morning. All of the prior issues have been resolved and the new drapes are a big improvement over the originals. Although it took a while to complete the order, I wanted to provide this update to say how happy I am with the finished project.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #14
Maineyak

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Kennebunkport , Maine
New Drapes From JPA DRAPES

Quote:
I received our new drapes from JPA yesterday and installed them this morning. All of the prior issues have been resolved and the new drapes are a big improvement over the originals. Although it took a while to complete the order, I wanted to provide this update to say how happy I am with the finished project.
So glad for you Nomad 518!
Very nice of you to notify us that you are satisfied with the new drapes and JPA and that your quest has a happy ending.

I recall JPA telling me that they were extremely busy with many orders when I had made my order. The important thing is that they "made good" and came through with a high quality product.

Travel-on with a more beautiful interior.

Maniac
Old 03-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
We also considered new drapes; but instead went with a day/night blind. This is on the plano portion only. The existing drapes are now fuller on the curved portion.
With the blinds, we have clear vision with them up, pull the day part down and we have shears, and with the next portion, we have room darkening. This is the way it was in the "98" 30 ft Excella.
Airtandem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Here's a photo with our new drapes from JPA. Looks great! Their materials and craftsmanship are top notch. It sounds like some family health issues may have also added to the production time for my order.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0291.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	204.8 KB
ID:	235124  
Old 03-29-2015, 10:41 PM   #17
Maineyak

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Kennebunkport , Maine
New JPA Drapes

Quote:
Here's a photo with our new drapes from JPA. Looks great! Their materials and craftsmanship are top notch. It sounds like some family health issues may have also added to the production time for my order.
Nomad518,

Your JPA drapes look fantastic!

Mainiac