Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
New 27FB bathroom door opens while traveling

Even when we lock the bathroom door, we found it open several times today after going several hundred miles. I finally hooked a bungee to the handle and forward to a secure point...and we still found that the door had opened, although the bungee kept it from banging around.

Anyone with a similar problem and find a solution?

Also, what the heck is the trick for getting the range cover open and closed without the hinges coming loose?
motozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2018 Atlas
Orange Beach , Alabama
I had the same problem; all I did was adjust the little metal latch receiver in the door jamb. I was just slightly out of alignment. Works ok now.
jdthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdthor View Post
I had the same problem; all I did was adjust the little metal latch receiver in the door jamb. I was just slightly out of alignment. Works ok now.
Which way did you bend the catch...in or out (towards the aisle or towards the outside wall)?
Old 11-13-2011, 09:47 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
"Rope Latches"

We travel many uneven roads and developed a system to secure drawers and doors. Nylon rope strips.

The closet doors we tie together, latch to latch. The drawers beneath the cabinet top we tie off the bottom drawer and run the rope through the upper handles and tie it off at the book "retaining rods". The two doors below our sink we tie together. The room divider that you pull across the hallway for privacy... I put a sheet rock screw into the frame and tied it up to the horizontal bracket. The guides that run across the rod when you use the privacy rod... I do not know what you would really call the part... holds it tight and it does not cause a problem.

The pantry shelves have never been a problem. The spring held upper cabinets have never been a problem. It seems that anything that uses those cheap plastic door/drawer latches ARE problems. Eventually I will replace those with something that will do a better job, but will still "strap" them all with rope while traveling.

If you look at how your shower door is hung, it is probably not square. Ours is off quit a bit from the factory, but does not affect the door latch. The handle used in the 2006 looks like something that belongs on a Mack truck hood opener, not in an AS. (Newer models use a flush latch without the big handles.) I would put a small sheet rock screw into the outside frame and tie the handle down with a shoe lace or short piece of tough cord. Although all of these suggestions might not seem to be proper solutions, I have not experienced these problems for thousands of back country travel again. Works for me, cheap to do and effective.

These are for the 23 foot AS, so your hardware might be different, the idea works if you take the time to adapt a way to tie everything down.
Ray Eklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
Boulder , Colorado
Thanks for the info Ray. I checked and sure enough some of the screws on the plastic latches were loose, so I fixed that and filed and bent the strike plate so that the door is more solidly closed. Great idea about the bungee cords!