Old 03-14-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

1971 31' Sovereign
north port , Florida
Unhappy need help

Hi I need lots of help, just got a 1971 airstream 31' trailer and need to be restore or redone in side,any sugestions where to start??
Im in North Port,fl and will like to fine a place that i can go and get use and new parts and olso need sugestions on where to star,I have to do the hole interior since all original parts are gone or not good.
Thank you and have a great day.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 AM   #2
Tool Hoarder

Currently Looking...
West , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by el tico View Post
Hi I need lots of help, just got a 1971 airstream 31' trailer and need to be restore or redone in side,any sugestions where to start??
Im in North Port,fl and will like to fine a place that i can go and get use and new parts and olso need sugestions on where to star,I have to do the hole interior since all original parts are gone or not good.
Thank you and have a great day.
Welcome! There are a lot of places on line to find replacement stuff. You could try Craigslist and see if anyone in your area is getting rid of their interior. I am just replaceing the interior with custome stuff.

Old 03-14-2012, 10:57 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Your closest Airstream dealer to you is Bates which is just east of Tampa on highway 4, south side. You can not miss it since they have Airstreams on end in their front yard by the highway. If you do not mind ordering over the net or on the phone, there are several vintage parts dealers listed on this site. I would think you should check out the running gear and the soundness of the frame and body before you invest a lot of money and time redoing the interior. You could have easily bought yourself a real costly can of worms without knowing it. Contact someone that is very knowledgeable from one of the local clubs to come out and look at it. There are a bunch of people at Paradise Cove not far from you. Then you need to plan how you are going to use the unit and how many beds you need so that you can do the basic layout. Take a look at all the layouts that have already been tried and posted on this site and decide what is the most useful to you. There may be some people in the area that are remodeling their trailers and have spare parts available at a low cost. Have fun you have bought yourself a down payment on a hobby that can bring you lots of fun and personal fulfillment.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ebay and the Airforums classifieds. Is the running gear on this trailer OK?
Old 03-14-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I bought some parts from these suppliers.

http://www.odmrv.com/catalog/index.php

http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/?Click=2446

http://www.inlandrv.com/

This site has lots of links.

http://www.airstreamtrailers.com/buy/index.htm

I started by doing all the exterior maintenance on my trailer beginning with a new air conditioner and new roof vents. I replaced all the window and door gaskets, sewer gasket, sealed windows, sealed seams, and sealed connections like the awning rail. I tested for leaks, and when the leaks were all fixed I repaired the frame, floor, and cleaned the interior skin.

I removed everything old except the shower and replaced with new.

Welcome, and good luck.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:46 PM   #6

1971 31' Sovereign
north port , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwightdi View Post
Your closest Airstream dealer to you is Bates which is just east of Tampa on highway 4, south side. You can not miss it since they have Airstreams on end in their front yard by the highway. If you do not mind ordering over the net or on the phone, there are several vintage parts dealers listed on this site. I would think you should check out the running gear and the soundness of the frame and body before you invest a lot of money and time redoing the interior. You could have easily bought yourself a real costly can of worms without knowing it. Contact someone that is very knowledgeable from one of the local clubs to come out and look at it. There are a bunch of people at Paradise Cove not far from you. Then you need to plan how you are going to use the unit and how many beds you need so that you can do the basic layout. Take a look at all the layouts that have already been tried and posted on this site and decide what is the most useful to you. There may be some people in the area that are remodeling their trailers and have spare parts available at a low cost. Have fun you have bought yourself a down payment on a hobby that can bring you lots of fun and personal fulfillment.
Ok thank you so much for your respond and will check the running gear?? is that the axels ?? sorry I sound like ignorant.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:55 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Running gear would include: axles ( check that rubber suspension still works and has not sagged too much), brakes (still work and have some material left on the shoes and magnet that activates them), Bearings (disassemble them and check for rough surface on rollers and bearing surface). Check for rust outs of the outriggers and the steel frame. Check for rotten floors and or separation between the frame and the body (jump on the back bumper and see if it moves independent of the body of the trailer.