Old 05-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1973 Argosy 26
1966 30' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Western Slope , Colorado
We will be going with a laminate floor once my sbfloor repairs are's actually leftover from a house project 5 years ago and has held up really well (we don't go barefoot at all). I am considering a wood grain laminate (i.e. Formica-type) to face the cabinets and wall panels.

All that is gold does not always glitter...those who wander not always are lost....
mnmhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:18 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member
2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
Simple just order brand new 2012

I am sure you could specify all materials used in airstream. It is going to be alot of work and effort getting them materials. Then paying little extra for brazilian cherry laminate and finishes. Most lighting on new ones are great! I just got back from flooring dealer lumber liquidators. One item that really had wow factor Brazilian cherry with oxide finish. I am also looking at a Brazilian maple harder than american varieties.

starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:49 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
Originally Posted by Yhottys View Post
We call it "Glamping".

Having used North Face's four season expedition Mountain 25 tent, and still do, our Airstream is definitely a touch more glamorous when "camping".

We tried to stay true to our trailer's mid century modern aesthetic. We've outfitted ours with a vintage George Nelson for Herman Miller fiberglass lamp and vintage Knoll Bertoia diamond chairs that we set outside with a low-slung kidney shaped table.

Good luck with your Airstream. We're sure it will be gorgeous and hope that you will be "glamping" soon. We can't wait to see it!

We were used to backpacking at a true minimalist level, but for camping, we were slowly growing from one single 2 person tent to a 4 person, small sleeping bags to giant down assemblies with blankets and real pillows, bringing 4-6 chairs, a big table, gourmet food supplies, tons of pots and pans to prepare that food, etc. etc. This got out of control and we figured why not buy a trailer to do two things: take the "glamping" to a whole other plane of existence, and minimize the mob/demob time when changing campsites.

However, when we started thinking about the interior rebuild we decided that the style would have to be perfect and that we might not want vintage. Thus we are going fairly modern on the design, with some vintage notes.

Either way, you can't go wrong. Those ideas you have thrown out there are more than feasible, with any year. My guess is your boss is going to want a newer model Airstream, i.e. wide or wider body, not a 50's width and height. That extra space makes a huge difference and based upon the styles she is requesting, I'm thinking she'll appreciate the more open feeling to go along with it.

Good luck!
- Peter (and Marie)

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:20 AM   #18

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

"I agree with Kevin, give Mrs. J what she wants."

I've learned over time to appreciate my dear Fathers rule for a smooth marital relationship in all endeviours....."she's not happy, 'til your not happy"
Learn to bend.

AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member
2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Jagers...can't wait to see pics when your AS is done - I'm sure it's going to be stunning! I'm on the side of your wife... it has to look amazing -- we picked up a perfectly nice and functional AS last summer and we've already done a ton of work and it's up at our renovation guy right now .... I personally sourced my materials from all over the place mainly residential resources as unique/high quality stuff for RV's seems to be lacking, have spent considerable time on it but it's been fun and will be so worth it! I am exercising common sense however... we've already used it a lot and I'd forgotten how dirty camping can be so the fabrics have to be both functional, clean up easily and be stunning!
2012 International Serenity 28
2012 Ford F150 EcoBoost TV
Suzzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
OP hasn't been here in nearly two years.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote