Old 05-12-2014, 02:32 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
My '86 Sovereign 31' thread

Hi - I'm new around here and just bought my first AS. I'm going to try out full timing starting at the end of the month with just me and my dog.

So far I've repacked the wheel bearings, installed LED lights and I'm in the process of scrubbing the ceiling and removing the stickiness.

I'm currently trying to line up a remodel job that can get done by the end of the month..which could be cutting it close. I want to put in new flooring, build a desk up front with a fold out table and build a mattress platform in between the two twin beds.

This is the front:

and this is the layout I'm going for to get started. No furniture up front for now - I like the idea of being able to switch things up if needed.

For blinds I'd like to take down the rollers/drapes and go with something like this with blackout fabric on it.

ninerip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:31 AM   #2
Rivet Master
1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn

During the rebuild of the '78 Sovereign below, Mary and I tried several bed layouts, started with the twins, went to an East-West King, tried the "all bed" rear bedroom, went back to the twins, finally decided that an East-West Airstream shorty Queen with rounded corners worked best. The main problem with the King and All-Bed layouts was difficulty in accessing the bathroom at night and the problems with making up the bed.

It is difficult to determine if you currently have a rear bath or a mid bath. It will be outrageously expensive to convert to a center bath if in fact you have a rear bath. Could you please post more pictures?

There are several people in your area capable of doing just such a redo as you are describing. Check the search function for independents in the San Antonio, Austin, and Waco area. I think you will find that your time frame is unrealistic.

Look and read many of the rebuild threads. If you intend to keep your Sovereign for a long time, it would really pay to get EVERYTHING done on the chassis and underside prior to tackling any topside renovation.

Let someone who has already completed a renovation or two look at it, and pay attention if they point out floor rot or possible problem areas with the frame.

Don't mean to rain on your parade, but I'm sure you want the unit to be in
top shape prior to taking it out on the road full time. Rest assured, working on and rebuilding the unit while you are living in it is extremely difficult.

Search the forums and read as many of the rebuild threads as possible, especially the ones on the larger units of the mid 70's to the late 80's and you will get a better feel for the magnitude of the job you are describing.

There are many Forum and WBCCI rallies coming up very soon. Plan on making a drive by to as many as these as you can and gather as much information as you can from your conversations. Most everyone in the Airstream community is willing to share their knowledge with noobies.

By all means, please document your decision progression in your blog - everything - thought processes, ultimate requirements, areas most likely to be visiting, living, travelling, prices, contractor selection, and build time.

Everything you will do could be very helpful to those needing to do the same thing a year or two from now.

Good Luck. Document, record, and publish here in your Blog,

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
Thanks for the info 87MH.

I found a guy that can complete the remodel I want by the end of the month for $2500 plus materials.

Here is a pic prior to the installation of the Pro Pride hitch.

The trailer itself is in good condition - it has sat covered most of it's life and wasn't used a lot except for a 10 day trip per year for the first 20 or so years. The floor is good to go. It's a center bath. The flooring layout picture with the red on it is the exact same as my model. I designed the layout in Photoshop. The image with the rear bath is just an example for the shades I want for the windows.

Here are some more pics...

I was told the wet marks on the wall fabric were usually due to condensation and not a leak.

I really do need a desk though. A fold out cocktail table and credenza does me no good. Plus I have a dog that sheds and don't want to buy a vacuum. The carpet will get destroyed in no time.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
Here is the complete living room. I just posted it for sale in the classifieds section - and completely guessed on the price.