Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
My '71 Sovereign project

I wasn't really looking for an Airstream but this one fell into my lap and since our daughter graduated college I guess I haven't been broke enough.
My Great Uncle had one that they would travel from Ia and winter in Mexico during the 60's and would stop at our home in Dallas. As a kid I was fascinated at their inherent coolness.
This 31' rear bath unit was used at a deer lease and ended up being a squirrel and raccoon sanctuary. I have mined enough acorns out of the walls, ceiling and floor to file a Capital Gains report.
I've restored vintage motorcycles and scooters for the last 25 yrs but jumped into this one without knowledge or regard for conventional set up. I may have opened a can of worms when I see some like kind threads of changing up the floor plan.
The black tank was cracked and the rear looked like hell. After some thought(alleged) I came up with my plan and damn the torpedo's. I was going to gut the whole unit but have decided to keep the kitchen as a base and work around it, mainly for the cost and the weight.
I have to piece meal this all together as time and money are tight. I had a goal to be able to use this at the MX races that I still attempt at 56 yrs old. So far I got it to the point we could at least sleep in it on our 1st big race of the year that was in Jefferson,Tx. 2 weeks ago,4/16/11.
I was shocked that we made the 400 mi. maiden voyage trouble free & got 12.75 MPG in the 40 MPH winds with a gas truck!
I do not have any of the plumbing or gas yet as those are my next areas of attack.

Bermshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
More . . .
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
or less?
"Capt.,She can't give no more".
I've got nothing else but illusions until I can get back on it. I bought a ZIP Dee awing from our forum and left it at the local old AS dealer to install as I didn't think I could do it well by myself in this wind we been having, they called yesterday and said it is too long. He said they can be cut down but said they wouldn't do it, went to pick it up this AM and someone else said they would do it so will lose another weekend of progress.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
I wouldn't want you to break a blood vessel in your eye trying to grunt up an illusion just to satisfy my picture addiction:-) The revival of the trailer looks heroic. I'm impressed! Thanks for posting.

Gary
Old 04-29-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Do have some pics from the trip to Jefferson. They call the place we went to Diamond Don's, he was an old Ex -Pro racer with me from the late 60's, early 70's, owns the old steam train that runs through the town. He also does a few Holiday events @ Halloween and Christmas with the camp sights right on the Sabine River Bayou. The town is the oldest in Tx and is a pretty neat destination on it's own.
Diamond Don Motorsports -AHRMA Sanctioned 9th Annual Riverport National Vintage Motocross

Old 04-29-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wow! Nice rig! It's okay to talk about the tow vehicle (if you like) too:-)

Thanks for posting!

Gary
Old 05-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Bermshot,
Could you give some details about the gas fireplace? Is it vented or not? What kind is it? Does it run on 12V? Does the face of it get so hot that it would be dangerous for small kids? It looks amazing and I'd love to try something like that.
Thanks,
Tim
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 06:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Your ceiling is tin? I was thinking along those lines, toying with the idea.... How do you like it?

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
The fireplace is a vent-less self contained unit I got at Northern Tool. It was made to hang on a wall so it does need a space perimeter around it, The glass front does not get very hot as the heat rises from the top vent. It has a small standard Coleman type propane bottle and Piezo igniter.

I had removed the furnace but the external vent area is still open but, based on cubic footage I wasn't too worried about the CO along with vent. I tried to set it up with a 12 V servo motor to bring it out from the wall but I lost the space I needed when I moved my oven to that area below stove top, so I ended up just using drawer tracks and pull it out. I will also put my tandem on demand water heaters under the counter.
I just took this trailer out for the first time a few weeks back and surprisingly for Tx, I did use the fireplace at night. The heat does rise to the top of the trailer and spreads out, had to turn it off as it has no T-stat function. Looks great at night!
Old 05-11-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Kay. It is a Faux tin look with plastic tiles from the big box hardware stores so it did the curves great. I had bought some bigger 2 x 3 sheets from a company in Fl but was not happy with the cheap paper thin stuff they sent and returned it for a loss. I could not get the ones I used on any contractor pricing so it got a little pricey for the area. I still have to do the final trim around the Vistaview windows but was pushed for time on our 1st use trip. They have an overlap pattern so you do have to trim the corners to keep them from layering too high on 2 sides. Sure they are made of some kind of polypropelyne so they are not fire resistant. I used a panel glue and contact cement on some harder to attach surfaces and time will tell how it holds up to the Tx heat while parked in my yard this summer.
I've been at a stalemate with the trailer in the shop going on it's 4th week now with the dealer dragging their feet getting my awning on !! The used unit I got was too long and they said they could cut it down but don't seem to want to get to it now. I've missed prime time getting work done while it is still cool enough to get 8 -10 hrs in on it during the weekends.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
Nice job!! Thanks for the pics - love what you have done. Sorry about your wait on the awning - feel your pain in loosing time.

Question about that sweet kitchen light fixture.... did you alter it for 12v use or is it strictly 110?

Laura
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
The kitchen light is still 110 and those halogen are HOT, found some 12V with that GU10 type base but as stated , been with out the tlr for over 3 weeks. With the new over head domes I did put in HD 12 V standard fixture bulbs used in auto drop lights.
I have the front about high 80% done,still need to frame and trim up the oven change up, Refeer & MW area. I think I am going to recess the tv and mount and use the rest of the void between the refeer wall for a fold down desk/bar opening and some kind of roll out storage for the last bottom 3rd space.
I was hoping to get going on the plumbing but best laid of plans .... and I'm no help on time managment, oh- look a puppy, let's go ride our bikes !
Old 05-11-2011, 10:02 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1980 20' Caravelle
Ogden , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bermshot View Post
The fireplace is a vent-less self contained unit I got at Northern Tool. It was made to hang on a wall so it does need a space perimeter around it, The glass front does not get very hot as the heat rises from the top vent. It has a small standard Coleman type propane bottle and Piezo igniter.

I had removed the furnace but the external vent area is still open but, based on cubic footage I wasn't too worried about the CO along with vent. I tried to set it up with a 12 V servo motor to bring it out from the wall but I lost the space I needed when I moved my oven to that area below stove top, so I ended up just using drawer tracks and pull it out. I will also put my tandem on demand water heaters under the counter.
I just took this trailer out for the first time a few weeks back and surprisingly for Tx, I did use the fireplace at night. The heat does rise to the top of the trailer and spreads out, had to turn it off as it has no T-stat function. Looks great at night!
Thanks so much for the info. I am a bit nervous about any vent free options, but it makes everything SO much easier.
Tim
timzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Valdosta , Georgia
Did/are you relocating the bath? I am looking at doing the same reconfig and am trying to figure out what to do with the W/H and if I can move the black tank.
Any feedback would be great.
Thanks
GaCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:23 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
I am moving the bath up to the mid curb side so will have to get tanks made & moved. My black tank was leaking, ruined the rear floor so decided to do a complete makover to my taste or lack of. I plastic welded the tank but doubt I can use it now with the black tank needing to be under the axles and the grey in the next frame member aft. Then will need to map out the drainage piping for a clean exit.
The bath area will be open across the girth with doors providing privacy while in use. toilet, sink and shower on the curb and closets on both sides of the mid window and a dressing bench below it. I had to cut & plastic weld a standard shower pan to fit my needs and the next project is to get the plumbing and bath layed in. I plan on putting a gas and electric demand W/H in tandem under the sink area and use the vent that was for the furnace.
I have lost 6 weeks now to putting the tlr in the RV shop for an Zip Dee install that has gone wrong when I bought a used unit that ends up being for a later model AS. After getting the tube & fabric cut down last week, they called yesterday to say the arms do not have the correct bend for my 71'. Need to track down correct hardware now.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Mooresville , North Carolina
How difficult was replacing the back flooring? I need to do this on mine but not sure if I should replace or just recover with more plywood. Thanks.
jtsanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:11 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Mine was rotten to the edge so had to replace it wall to wall. It is a fair amount of work but I am by no means anything above average in skills, just stupid enough to think I can do it and tear into things. I had gutted the entire trailer except the kitchen cabinets so had a clean rear trailer.
As the plywood is underneath the outer walls I had to cut through the rusted stove type bolts. I did it the easiest way I could so I cut the plywood so there was a seam down the middle of the trailer with a left and a right side. I slid in one side and then slid in the other side pushing at the corner angle until it dropped down flush. I then came in from the bottom and tied the two pieces together at the seam with another 3/4 board stip and sealed the top. then came back in with some through bolts to bring the body back to the frame. I did damage the rear corner sheet metal some after I had transported the trailer from one yard to another with out it being supported while I had it cut out. Was able to beat it out and the bumper will cover most of the wrinkled sight of it.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:53 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
I was laid off from my job in late Sept and have had to put so much on the back burner to conserve funds. I have not been able to complete this project as timely as wanted and can't believe it has been alomost a yr. since I have posted.
I did get the black & gray tanks in and put the black between the axles and the gray aft of the rear axle, getting the plumbing roughed in and all the drains set up behind the left rear wheel area. The biggest glitch is the black did not fit up flush to the floor area as the 3" outlet would not have cleared the rear frame member to axle area. Will have to figure out how I will enclose the bottom now. I got the basic bath area laid out and tried to build some cabinets but the birch plywood did not come out as well as I wanted so when I get some $ I may use Veneer over it all.
You can find these pics in my gallery now.

Tags
sovereign