Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Lounge questions

The lounge (goucho, sofa, or couch) in my Sovereign was mostly missing when we got it. Essentially all the upholstery was gone. I have the plywood base and the lower part of the armrests that touches the floor. I have some skill in upholstery, mostly antiques, so I will be able to handle that part I think.

I've found some photos to show what it's supposed to look like but I do have a couple of questions that I'm hoping someone who has an original could answer:

1) what size were the buttons originally?
2) is the upholstery loose like a futon - it appears that way from the schematic.

Thanks for any help you can offer - pictures would be great too!
BradB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
The buttons are about 1" diameter. Might be about 5 or 6 centered across both the backrest and bench. The cushion is one piece of foam and is somewhat held with velcro strips to the frame.

Some years ago I reupholstered mine as we didn't care for brown plaid. I simply put the cushion inside a faux suede futon cover. I bought a throw cover made of the same material and cut pieces to fit the rest of the gaucho.

You have to remove those pieces first, then just cut some material with enough to wrap around the back, and attach with a staple gun. I just put mine on over the original padding and fabric. It went surprisingly quick and easy. The only tricky part was the arm rest cushions, which required a bit of hand sewing.

Many people starting from scratch like you prefer to use a futon cushion as opposed to foam they have to cover. Much more comfortable.

Christopher
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	23 final closed.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	652.3 KB
ID:	176902  
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Thanks

That's helpful, thank you. A friend had suggested using a futon mattress but it was about twice the price and my experience with them has been they are quite a bit heavier than foam. Interesting about the comfort though.

Why do people remove the whole thing anyway - do them get mouldy?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
A futon mattress would weigh more, but it shouldn't be too much weight for the gaucho frame or the trailer. Still, I'd try to find one that was as light as possible.

I think the main reason for replacing the original cushion comfort. Also the foam can deteriorate after several decades.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Replaced the old couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradB View Post
Why do people remove the whole thing anyway - ?
When we found our 1976 31' Sovereign the front couch was all intact, but needed to be recovered. My wife worked for days on this and recovered it in some great looking fabric and it looked like it came from the factory. After a few trips our two dogs at the time loved the couch, but to me and my wife this was the most uncomfortable thing to sit on that we had ever experienced. If you opened it up to a bed it was even worse. It had to go. I found 2 leather wall away recliners that are bolted to the floor and fit just fine with a small table in the place of the old back breaker couch. The recliners are so comfortable to sit or recline in and I can recline all the way back and sleep like a baby. The dogs didn't like them at all, can't please every one.

Don
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Replaced couch 1976 AS.pdf (169.4 KB, 79 views)
Old 01-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Thanks for your help everyone. I checked into using a futon but it seemed to be at least twice the price of what I can make myself so I'll go that way. I was able to get a nice vintage (ish) fabric for $1 a yard on special from Kravet. I got enough to do the sofa and the twin beds (they are just bare foam) so that part was pretty cheap. I found a picture of the exact original (which I quite like) here:1976 25' Airstream Tradewind - Airstream Trailer Classifieds - Airstreams Trailers For Sale
I have just a bit of that left on the arm rests and it seems like it would have been soft but oh well, it's gone.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Progress on the lounge

Okay, so I've started on the armrests after I got them out. Here's a photo with the new fabric on one (left) and old.

Question to those who still have their original lounges (1976ish) - are the tops of the armrests removable pillows? I don't see where they would have attached and the Airstream manual shows a photo with them and then one without (when the bed is down). If you still have yours, would you mind sharing measurements?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0130.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	437.2 KB
ID:	177653  
Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Ocean View , Delaware
Ours is an 80 Excella, but our original looked a lot like your original. Our armrests are a foam cushion fixed to a solid (plywood) bottom that fits onto the armrest and has a few pieces of 1x1 on the bottom that keep it from sliding side to side or front to back but allow for the cushions to be lifted off. There is storage in the armrest bases. I am 100 miles away from the trailer so can't send pictures of the armrests. Hope this helps.

I do have a picture of the new upholstery, including armrests on my phone. I could message it to you if you have text on your phone. PM me with your contact info if you like.

Sue
Disneysue925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:41 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Could be...

Hi Brad,

That end cushion could be used as a pillow. But, I'm thinking it wouldn't replace a regular pillow though. See picture with goucho extended.

Don't forget to post more pictures to show your progress.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Goucho in Bed Position.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	177656  
newsgauger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Harrowsmith , Ontario
Thanks - that is very helpful. I should add that I found a leak when I took out one of the bases for the armrest so that was a blessing I guess. At least things are frozen right now but as soon as it warms up it's time to reseal everything.