Old 02-25-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Napa , California
Labeling Interior Panels for Restoration

Hi All,

We are undertaking a major restoration, our first, on a 1957 Silver Streak Clipper Trailer. Tomorrow we are removing the interior panels. We'd love the hear some ideas on how best to label these panels. I know there is a wealth of experience here on this forum... Any ideas would be very much appreciated!

Thank you,
Darin and Bet

Darin n Bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
It's best to label them some way here YOU will remember where they go.
There's the "Street Side" and "Curb Side" of your Airstream. When we took our panels out I don't think I knew which side was which. I laughed when we put them back in the trailer and I noticed they were labeled "Driver's Side" and "Passenger Side." It was funny to see them labeled that way... but I could tell where they belonged so that was the important part.

my restoration & travel blog:
Someday'59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 02:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Also make sure you label the aluminum channels that the edges of the bulkheads fit into against the wall. Like Someday59 said, any way you can remember, be very specific. Complete restorations take a lot of time and if it is a year later when you put the bulkhead back in you will be very glad you labeled everything with care. Same with all wiring, unless you are doing a complete rewire. Don't trust your memory on any part or piece. You will save yourself a lot of time when you start putting things back together. You will be working instead of scratching your head wondering if this piece of aluminum when here or there.
Have fun.
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member
Vintage Kin Owner
Napa , California
Someday59, love the name, and it's explanation! We, too, are referring to the panels as "driver's side" "passenger's side" and it seemed funny to me, as well, but it works. We need to replace several panels, but will be marking and keeping them all for now.

68 TWind, we are doing a complete renovation of all systems, luckily Darin is fearless and I know how to use a sharpie. I just can't let him get too far ahead of me!

Thank you both for the comments!

Darin n Bet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I am seriously directionally challenged. As such, I labeled my panels with "stove side" or "door side" LOL Whatever works!
Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Cruisin , Wisconsin
It was two years before we got the interior skins back in. I had no idea what I was really doing either, take twice as many pictures as you think you need. I took pictures but most were from a distance and didn't show the detail I wanted when re-assembling. I started labeling by numbering the windows then numbered the panels by them.
Have fun with your project.
It's not worth doing if you're not having fun.
tinman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
For us, it was pretty easy because we could tell home the panels overlapped based on what was painted or not. The painted edges go on last.

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
We labeled ours with permanent marker on the back side of each panel. We used curbside and street side if I did it, or port and starboard if Chris labeled that one! I scrubbed the panels on both sides laid out in the grass after we removed them, and the marker stayed in place with no problems. So however you mark them, make sure it doesn't rub off!

Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member
1955 22' Flying Cloud
mapleton , Utah
Sharpie marker on the back side!
doesnt matter how many notes you write, everything helps!
you will wish you had written more later.

rumrunner is offline   Reply With Quote