Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2016, 07:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , New York
King bed

We are in the planning stages of a complete rebuild of our new to us 31' '76 Sovereign rear twin. My question is this. I want to remove the twins and install a king sized bed. Has anyone done this? Also, if not a king, what is the largest bed you can put in that space? Thanks for the help. I love all the info I get from here. Love the Air Forums!
Waltinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:17 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
King bed

We converted the back two twins with bunks above to sleep our 4 children. We had new cushions made to fit between the lower twins which converts the lower two twins to a king. You have to crawl into the bed.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 07:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
1959 24' Tradewind
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Northeast , Iowa
In our Excella with a rear bedroom, we did a very simple conversion from twin to King by placing a plywood piece between the twin bed bases, supported on a small ledge, making a large platform across the back of the trailer. Then we strapped the 2 twin mattresses together and turned them sideways on the platform, added a king memory forum topper trimmed a bit, and use king sheets. With the curved Airstream twin mattress pushed into the end cap curve at a right angle there is some gap between the bed and rear wall for knee overhang and blankets, and space at the foot of the bed for storage. Disadvantages: One person has to climb over the other. You have to crawl under the platform to access the underbid storage, but you also get large open storage under the center, that we slide baskets, totes, etc into.
I added short sets of plastic storage drawers on the twin bed platforms between the bed and bath wall that fit under the Windows. Works well for us, and we can return it to twin layout whenever we want. We had to remove the nightstand between the twins, but it is stored in the basement for reinstallation.
epperp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:20 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , New York
Great ideas. I didn't even think to just leave the twins and put a platform in the middle. I'm going to try that. That way I can put it back if I want. Thanks for the input, I knew I could count on you guys!
Waltinjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:53 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
We did something similar to what Epperp did. My hubby placed first lined the bottom wheel wells where the storage is with Reflectick ( the silver insulated stuff from Lowes) then he lined the bottom & top log the new board he cut with the same stuff. Your body heat can make the bottom of the mattress hold so much heat it can get wet. Then he bought a king memory foam mattress from Costco & put the box on the bed, cut it open & it unfolds. Be sure you have tondo it unfolds the direction you want as it is a bear to move. No need to cut any rounded edges,
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 09:41 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Globetrotter
Manheim , Pennsylvania
This is how we did it.

Jukeboxfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 06:46 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Johnson City , New York
Great video. Thanks!