Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Camden , South Carolina
Jack Knife Sofa - reinstall [pictures /directions?]

Hey Airstreamers, I've got a 1997 Airstream Safari that orginally had a jack-knife sofa in it. The gentleman that I purchased the trailer from 7 years ago had removed the sofa and put recliners in trailer. He was kind enough to keep all the parts for the sofa: the metal frame, sofa, arm rest, storage bins, and several pieces of wood trim.

I'm getting ready to reinstall the jack-knife sofa, and it would be great if anyone had pictures they could share of theirs.

The frame & sofa, and arm rest look easy enough, providing I line this up right. Biggest thing I not sure I understand is what part goes up against the cover for battery/inverter? It appears this was changed to have access to battery and inverter when sofa was taken out so you could access from inside or outside trailer. The outside has an access door to get to the battery/inverter.

Also wasn't sure how the access under sofa was done for storage bins, so any pictures or directions anyone might have would be GREATLY GREATLY Appreciated!

Thank you!!

Mark 1973 Safari 23' & 1997 Safari 25'
25Safari_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Mark,

I'll take a few pics for you tomorrow.. anything specific?

On mine there is no real way to access the converter or electrical connections behind the sofa. (neither from outside the trailer) There is a vertical partition that runs the length of the sofa about a foot from the end of the trailer. It is screwed into the floor and acts as the backing for the bins. The front access panel to the bins is hinged at the bottom and that cleat is also screwed to the floor. The curved horizontal panel rests on cleats screwed to the wall at about the height of the top of the bottom sofa cushion. At least on mine, it does not contact the sofa frame itself, nor the vertical partition that is screwed to the floor.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Hard to take pics of the places behind and under the couch. Hope these help.
First is behind, the 2nd underneath.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TAW05106.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	167940   Click image for larger version

Name:	TAW05108.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	167941  

Old 09-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Camden , South Carolina
Thank you so very much for the pictures, this is very helpful.

Also wanted to comment on those beautiful pictures!! Those were just some priceless photos!!
25Safari_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Safari View Post
Also wanted to comment on those beautiful pictures!! Those were just some priceless photos!!
I'm assuming that sentence referred to our blog photos.. My couch shots aren't that inspiring.

Enjoy your Airstream and feel free to ask any other questions. Ours is holding up great and we are loving it.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmaah View Post
Hard to take pics of the places behind and under the couch. Hope these help.
First is behind, the 2nd underneath.
How far off the wall does your jack knife sofa sit? I'm looking for options for my AS. Also is it pretty easy to open and close?