Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2014, 09:42 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
West Jordan , Utah
Interior window frame on door?

I am doing a renovation on an 1984 31' Excella. I just reskinned the inside of the door. There is a rectangular window in the door and originally the AS didn't have anything framing the window, there was a gap between the aluminum and the window and it didn't look great. I put new aluminum on the door and cut out for the window but I am looking for something to frame the window a bit to true it up and make it look nicer. I found this pic on someone's blog but i would like to know if anyone knows how I can buy an aluminum frame for the window?

cliffy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
I believe your original window in the door setup may have had a roller shade between the inner panel and the outer one, with a tab which held it closed for privacy. At least that was the system used on a couple of mid 80's AS that I have seen and the 310 motorhome I owned. The inner panel was trimmed out with a vinyl slip on molding I believe. So, yours may have been missing the roller shade and that is why it looked unfinished.

The photo you show is a recent door window system, and looks like the one on my new FC 20'. It is an obscure gray tinted glass with no shade. I am not at home right now so can't tell you just how it fits into the door, but it is a very different window from the old ones used in the 80's. So, I don't think it is a simple trim piece that you can use to create the same look.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Peapod

1985 31' Excella
Dade City , Florida
Just to confirm that - our 85 Excella has a roll up shade enclosed between the door and the panel. Looks bad, we opened it and put a faux etched-glass decal on the glass. Might not be eveyones choice but we like it.
KenSanLan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
West Jordan , Utah
Yes, you're right. It did have an old roll-up shade which I am not interested in using. The screen door somewhat covers that a bit and the glass is tinted enough for my liking. I am interested in that newer style and not worry about what was there previously. I am hoping that the new airstream is using the same size of window as the old so I could simply use that metal piece to attach to the skinned aluminum and simply press up against the window with maybe just a bead of caulk to hold it to the out edge of the actual glass.

I did put in a request to a dealer in ID to inquire on the cost of such a part and its dimensions as well.
Old 01-28-2014, 10:34 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
West Jordan , Utah
Idroba, can you measure the aluminum trim piece in question and let me know the size of it for your FC please? My window size is about 19" 1/2 x 16" and the depth from the aluminum to the actual window is about 1" 1/2 to 1".

Thanks
See it at batesairstream.blogspot.com
Old 01-28-2014, 11:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Cliff: I am at my winter home in Arizona now and won't be able to measure anything on the Airstream until April. I would be glad to do it then, but if you want the information now, someone else with a newer unit can get the measurement you want, or a visit to a dealer would allow you to see the new trim in person.

I hope someone else can chime in here and help Cliff out. He needs information on the door window in newer rigs, my guess is 2010 and up.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 08:30 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Excella
West Jordan , Utah
I found the part number off airstream.com and ordered for everyone wondering... It was about $50
See it at batesairstream.blogspot.com