Old 11-10-2015, 04:47 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
before and after - wall cleaning

Here are a couple of photos to show the dramatic before and after cleaning of one of the bathroom skins on our '71 Sovereign we're renovating. I used Tilex mildew remover and a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I was amazed at how well this combo worked. We had thought we would have to paint the walls, but they look like new after cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	before.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	2.21 MB
ID:	251874   Click image for larger version

Name:	after.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	251875  

TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Marietta , Georgia
Yes dawn is great but add amonia to your dawn water solution and it's much more effective. Remember always add the acid to the base not water to the amonia. Kryon fusion paint is awesome but it is super important to clean very very well. It says in its directions to use an amonia based cleaner.

Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 12:07 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member
1988 32.5' Airstream 325
Vista , California
Originally Posted by thesignlady View Post
Those vinyl covered walls are very durable. You can use anything you have on hand to clean them. My favourite thing to use is bathroom sprays with bleach, stuff like Sudsing bubbles with bleach or Tilex mildew remover, that sort of thing. Just because I like to test the limits of things I did a test on a scrap of my 69's vinyl wall to see what kind of abuse the walls could take and nothing I threw at them hurt. I've used comet, pinesol, Tilex, paint thinner, scrubbing bubbles and hell even my house house carpet cleaners hand held rotary furniture attachment on the walls, no damage. Another awesome thing to know about is citrus based glue removers. Sometimes the walls in these old trailers can get sticky, very sticky...That can come from years and years of build up from cooking in the trailer and smokers from days gone by. I found that spraying citrus based adhesive remover on the wall and scrubbing it in to the textured finish with a nail brush, leaving it sit 60 seconds to break the grease down and wiping off with a paper towel works really well. Repeat as needed until its not sticky.

Enjoy your new trailer :-)
GOD BLESS YOU! Apparently ours has 27 years of build up, it's very sticky and gross and I have not been able to remove it. This has kept me from adding any form of decor to the walls because nothing will stay stuck to the wall despite the strongest and most permanent tapes. Is there a particular brand I should look for? And how long would it take to clean the entire inside of our AS motorhome? I look forward one day to removing this vinyl stuff for something nicer, but until then. . .
Dysfunctional Veteran- does not always play well with others. 22 a day is 22 TOO MANY. (this number recently revised to 23 a day )
PammieSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:19 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member
1971 31' Sovereign
Temple , Texas
PammieSue...see my last posting in this thread (#15). Working together, my wife and I did the entire interior of our 44 year-old Sovereign in one day. You can see by the photos that our walls were pretty gross. We did the Tilex mildew remover then came back with a bucket of water and the extra strength Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. The walls are clean and not sticky at all.
TxDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 04:15 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Cadillac , Michigan
Originally Posted by CraigCA View Post
Marine Clean from the POR15 guys and a stiff brush cleaned mine well.
I used the marine clean too and over a year later no sticky residue.
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 06:31 AM   #20
2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Yes, those vinyl covered walls are durable, however before hitting them with too harsh of a cleaning product remember that you don't want to use anything that could seep through the vinyl and attack the foam rubber or glue that holds the vinyl onto the ceiling or wherever.
NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 09:03 AM   #21
The Sign Lady
1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Hi PammySue, The stuff I used to get the stickinessfrom my walls is an adhesive remover that we use at work that is called Rapid Remover. It is not noxious or requiring safety gear, it is simply citrus based I don't use gloves, I've been using it pretty much daily for 20+ years and I'm still here ☺If you can't find Rapid remover near you just any citrus based adhesive remover you find at the hardware store will work. Open them and sniff, if it smells like oranges it will work.

Wash the walls first with a bleachy bathroom spray to get the dirt layer thats stuck to the stickyness off and bring your color back to where it should be.

Then pull a spritzer from a windex bottle and use it to spray the citrus adhesive remover on. Rub it in to the textured vinyl with a soft bristle brush leave sit for 60 seconds for it to do its magic of gathering grease and buff off with a paper towel, in some paricularly greasy areas I saturated the Mr.Clean magic eraser with the glue remover and worked it with that.

For the final few passes spray your paper towel with the adhesive remover and buff. It took me about 3 days working on it after work. I did not mask off my woodwork in my 69 I actually sprayed it down with the bleach bathroom sprays because I had previous leaks and I wanted to make sure I killed of any possible mold spores

Use those industrial blue paper towels or disposable rags

thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote