Old 07-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 22
Duxbury , Massachusetts
Interior wall sugeestions

I am renovating a 1980 Argosy 22'. I want to remove all the interior walls and put up something nicer. It is showing its age. I am completely new to this. Can someone advise on best way to remove interior walls with all the rivets? Should drill the rivets out or is there a better way?

Old 07-12-2016, 07:50 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
No better way than to drill out rivets.

Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

What's your game plan.

Are you going to be using it, or waiting until the renovation is complete.

Anyway…If you are going to be taking out the interior skins, I suggest you think about insulation, just in case there is mold or the smell of mice.
Old 07-12-2016, 09:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
If you're talking about the interior skin, then you have to drill out all the rivets. You pretty much have to replace the interior skin with metal for structural reasons. If they're just looking tired try repainting them.

If you're talking about the interior partition walls. That's a totally different story.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Snoqualmie , Washington
Based solely on what I've read over the past couple of years, I don't think it's a good idea to remove the interior skin and replace it with "something else". I think HiJoe is right, it's a structural thing.
You could reach out to Colin Hyde and ask his opinion.
Old 07-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 22
Duxbury , Massachusetts
thanks for responding. here's my dilemma. The insulation got wet in some parts so needs to come out. i also read it may have asbestos in it so it makes me uncomfortable to even have it in my trailer. my trailer will not be a big traveler, basically sitting most of its life as a bunk house. i ripped out all appliances and dont plan on reinstalling. basically want to build a fancy fort.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
It would be very strange for your trailer to have asbestos in the insulation. Our '72 had fiberglass insulation (original), and we've never heard of Airstream using anything other than fiberglass. I suppose another owner could have put in asbestos...
Painting walls in the trailer is easy, compared to other things, and changes the look quickly. Prep is a pain as you need very clean walls that are well rinsed. We used an exterior latex over primer.

Kay
Old 07-13-2016, 06:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I don't believe airstream has ever used asbestos for insulation. Make sure you get the leaks sealed otherwise new insulation will obviously just get wet again. Biggest problem with wet insulation being mold growing. If you have it gutted, pulling out the interior skins is not difficult for a few people to accomplish. Plus while they're out you can clean them really well with lots of soap, degreaser, and water.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:35 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Vintage Kin Owner
Camrose , Alberta
Just drill the rivets to remove. I would reinstall the interior skins after you insulate. I would go over top of the skins with what ever you choose to modernize it. It will add strength as well as give you more options for fastening your new interior.
Old 08-02-2016, 03:39 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Smithville , Texas
Can the interior fake wood walls be removed, or should I just paint over them? Painting would be cheaper, but will anything stick to that? Total newbie asking, so, don't laugh. ;-)
Old 08-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 28
Springville , Alabama
Yes they can be removed. They are not structural. Painting them is the easier option.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
They can be removed but depending on where they are they are usually screwed to things like the ends of the counter/kitchen shelves, fridge, or other things so can require some disassembly to remove them. They also mah have rivets holding them on the metal Chanel on the interior skins. They're typically thin plywood coated with "plastic shelf liner" to make them look like wood, so you'll need to clean them really well and use a paint that will stick to plastic. Or prime with plastic primer and top coat with what you'll like.