Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Utica , Ohio
Interior skin removal

I have just started on a1976 31ft unit and would like some advice on where to start with removing the interior skin, tips on handling and organizating, until time to reinstall when the time comes?
SILVER BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
Welcome to the Forums!

When I did my '73, I marked the back side of each panel with permanent marker. You will discover that there are a surprisingly large number of panels once removed, and that it isn't particularly intuitive how they go back in unless you leave yourself some bread crums. So I developed my own code to help me identify how the panel goes in, identifying orientation (arrow pointing up), which side (port or starboard), which end (fore, aft, or center), height (upper, middle, lower), and the order in which they were removed (1, 2, 3, etc).

I found that a good practice was to immediately remove all rivet parts and leftover burrs from the panels and to store them upright, leaning against a wall, in reverse order of when they were removed (last one out, firt one in). I waited to do the cleaning until I was ready to put them in again (and never actually cleaned them, since I made the mistake of convincing myself to create all new panels of fresh aluminum--the codes still were critical, though).

It never hurts to take lots of pictures as you do the work. More than once, I have had to refer back to pics to try to solve some puzzle.

good luck!
Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:53 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Utica , Ohio
Thanks the the orgaizational tips. Next, which panel removes first ..center ceiling and if so does it slide out of channel trim???
Old 04-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The center ceiling panel can be the first. It will expose the rivets that hold the pieces of molding onto the highest layer of skin on each side. Yes, it slides out. You will need to have a look at your panels and see which overlap which. I vaguely recall with mine that they were layered from bottom to top, so my highest row of panels had to come out first. No guarantees this is how they were all made.

good luck!
Belegedhel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 07:30 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
Utica , Ohio
Thanks for the guidance. the panels on this unit also started on the bottom and over lap as they go up the sides. I thought the center section might slide out but things are not always as they seem. That is whats great about this forum, you get a chance to talk to people that have been there and done that.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1968 30' Sovereign
Arcadia , Oklahoma
Be careful not to dent or bend
Duckhuts is offline   Reply With Quote