Old 03-01-2013, 06:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

santa fe , New Mexico
interior paint question - 1960 tradewind

just got out '60 Tradewind home... still planning out our remodel. gonna be quite the process. I have a paint question - the interior is a mix of some zolotone (not in good shape save a few spots behind cabinets) and several different colors that previous owners have splashed on here and there in various degrees of quality. We don't want to strip it all and want to end up with a painter interior. Seen lots of threads on complete stripping, but what is the best way to prep this mix-mash of an interior for paint? thanks,

Old 03-01-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
T-guy -
My Tradewind's interior was all original Zolatone, but in poor condition. Here's the info I got from the Zolatone company in 2008. You might contact them for more info, as your interior has some non-Zolatone paint.

Thoroughly clean / scrub the interior of the trailer with a “Soilax” and water mixture. Spic ‘N Span will also work. (These are available at hardware stores and house paint stores).

Rinse with clean water and allow to dry for 24 hours.

Wipe out the area to be coated with a high quality grease and wax remover available at automotive Jobber stores. (Look in the yellow pages under “automotive paint”).

If the new Zolatone color you wish to use is similar to the old, you may proceed directly applying the new Zolatone color as outlined on our web site Welcome to the Frontpage under "application information." You must use pressure spray equipment (pressure pot) and apply in a two step process. High pressure closer to the surface then low pressure further from the surface. (Sheer Coat then Pattern Coat.)

If the new Zolatone color you want to use is substantially different from the previous, you will need to prime the area with our Z91 Basecoat Primer Sealer. This product comes in white Z91-02, gray Z91-81 and black Z91-06 depending on the Zolatone color you want to use on top. It is available in quarts and gallons. Please refer to the table on our web site (Welcome to the Frontpage) to see what prime color goes under the various Zolatone colors.

The primer may be thinned 5% with water. You only need to spray a thin coat -- not too heavy. It should dry within an hour, given normal shop temps and humidity.

Then spray the Zolatone as outlined on our web site Welcome to the Frontpage under "application information." You must use pressure spray equipment (pressure pot) and apply in a two step process. High pressure closer to the surface then low pressure further from the surface. (Sheer Coat then Pattern Coat.)

Do not allow dew rain or moisture to touch the Zolatone for 24 hours. You may bake the Zolatone after a 20-minute flash off time for 40 minutes at 140 degrees.

Good luck with the project!
Mark

Old 03-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

santa fe , New Mexico
Thanks Mark. So what's the deal with zolotone? Do airstreams just use it b/c it binds well to the aluminium? The previous owner just rolled on new paint. I'll check in with the company - thanks for the info.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Silver Hilton

1959 24' Tradewind
Astoria , Oregon
In the era of our trailers, Zolatone was used in the interior of automobile trunks. It is pretty durable, bullet proof stuff. I found a local boat repair place that did a lot of Zolatone work, using it on the inner surface of fishing boats and work boats. I debated about repainting my trailer. I'm very happy I did it now. I also removed all the asbestos floor tiles (awful job!!) and did the floor with sheet marmoleum. The paint and the flooring made a huge difference. I hope you have a similar experience.
Mark

Tags
1960, 1960 tradewind