Old 02-03-2017, 12:50 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
NEW HARTFORD , Connecticut
Interior Finish? To remove or not to remove - can I use a heat gun

73" Excella full monty - a couple areas are bubbled.
Can I use a heat gun to remove the vinyl? I want to paint a gloss finish inside ultimately.
What about patching - like holes for speakers and outlets I'm moving, Bondo?
I''m removing all the interior skins so I can do this panels up or panels out...
what do you think?

stormbornSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
We removed all the vinyl in the 66 with Citristrip. It was safe, clean and smelled good. Then we painted a coat of Kilz Adhesion. This prepped the skin for whatever. We went back with Zolatone Flex. To cover the holes, I cut a piece of 2024 a bit larger than the hole. Squirmed it thru the hole with bondo around the edges. I had a piece of wire thru a hole in the center and pulled it tight. Once set I removed the wire and floated with bondo. I'm sure there are many ways, but this worked for me. Good luck.

Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 07:36 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
NEW HARTFORD , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba L View Post
We removed all the vinyl in the 66 with Citristrip. It was safe, clean and smelled good. Then we painted a coat of Kilz Adhesion. This prepped the skin for whatever. We went back with Zolatone Flex. To cover the holes, I cut a piece of 2024 a bit larger than the hole. Squirmed it thru the hole with bondo around the edges. I had a piece of wire thru a hole in the center and pulled it tight. Once set I removed the wire and floated with bondo. I'm sure there are many ways, but this worked for me. Good luck.

Thanks- how did it go with the citristrip? I tried it on one panel and didn't have the best results but it also had contact paper on it. Its only the bedroom panels that have the contact paper so maybe I should try another. Ultimately I want a semi glossy white finish..

Thanks!
stormbornSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 11:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
The citristrip went fine. I had to let it sit overnight sometimes with plastic sheeting covering it. Aircraft stripper works better, but that's nasty stuff. On some areas I had to apply the citristrip twice. If it dries on the vinyl it virtually stops working. So that's why I try and keep it from drying till it's done it's job.
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I removed the vinyl from our door and found this video very helpful. I followed it and it worked well. I won't go into a lot of explanation because the video although short is very thorough.

I also happened to already have some decent plastic razor blades and a scrapper holder. Check Amazon. Here's another link for them. Good luck.
TV 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Mega Cab Diesel 4x4
Re-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote