Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-14-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
 
1972 27' Overlander
puyallup , 98373
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 23
Talking interior end caps (removal & update)

can someone give me the details on how to do this. I have looked many places and none of them give me step by step. only final result.

I want to remove the front end cap and re-do it in birch like picture.

also do I have to remove the other walls before the end cap? I heard I have to do that ?

what it looks like now. don't mind the sofa (im removing it)


what I want it to look like
__________________

__________________
firstremodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
Beaker63's Avatar
 
1963 16' Bambi
Stevens Point , Wisconsin
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 315
Hey first,
Had to remove the rear cap to run electric lines and to patch some holes in the fiberglass shell. I think it was under the side panels but it just slid down after removing the rivets. I would leave the cap in place using it to attach the wood veneer.
Tim
__________________

__________________
Beaker63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Rivet Master
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,623
Images: 3
You need to remove all the trim from around the windows, then the panels below the 2 sides that have the speakers, then you would need to remove the center panel overhead and the panels that are the next below the center panel.
If you don't want to remove the top and top side panels completely you can try removing the rivets back several feel and try to pull them down a little at the edges to get the rivets behind them that hold the back end of the end cap up. This is iffy since the top side panels are arched they don't want to bend down easily, try removing rivets back farther.
Then slide the end cap back a little to get the front lip out of the channel above the front window, lower the front and slide the back top of the end cap out from the ceiling panels. It's the back edge rivets that will be the trick to getting it out without removing ceiling completely.
If you're 100% committed and not interested in trying to sell it to someone to reuse you can try to knock the rivet heads off with a sharp chisel and hammer instead of drilling.
You may want to list it on the classifieds before hand to see of anybody is interested in it.
Multi person job!
__________________
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 04:00 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member
 
2005 25' Classic
1986 32' Excella
1965 22' Safari
2006 22' Interstate
Newark , Delaware
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 135
Images: 2
How is the new wood adhered to the AS surface and what wood did you use? Is it a 1/8 or thinner birch plywood?
__________________
Chatooga11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member
 
ozy6205's Avatar
 
1973 Argosy 20
Alpena , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
You need to remove all the trim from around the windows, then the panels below the 2 sides that have the speakers, then you would need to remove the center panel overhead and the panels that are the next below the center panel.
If you don't want to remove the top and top side panels completely you can try removing the rivets back several feel and try to pull them down a little at the edges to get the rivets behind them that hold the back end of the end cap up. This is iffy since the top side panels are arched they don't want to bend down easily, try removing rivets back farther.
Then slide the end cap back a little to get the front lip out of the channel above the front window, lower the front and slide the back top of the end cap out from the ceiling panels. It's the back edge rivets that will be the trick to getting it out without removing ceiling completely.
If you're 100% committed and not interested in trying to sell it to someone to reuse you can try to knock the rivet heads off with a sharp chisel and hammer instead of drilling.
You may want to list it on the classifieds before hand to see of anybody is interested in it.
Multi person job!
This is my next step - I was wondering why the front/bottom was not loosening after rivets were removed. Apparently, it sits in a channel above the window. Thanks!
__________________
ozy6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,623
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy6205 View Post
This is my next step - I was wondering why the front/bottom was not loosening after rivets were removed. Apparently, it sits in a channel above the window. Thanks!
Boy I wrote that a long time ago, glad you were able to find it and that it helped.
__________________
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member
 
ozy6205's Avatar
 
1973 Argosy 20
Alpena , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
Boy I wrote that a long time ago, glad you were able to find it and that it helped.

Well... It is still not removed. I have all rivets removed that I can find. Does anyone know if I have to remove the storage paneling behind tambour doors in endcap to access hidden rivets?

BTW, all interior removed except the front end cap...
__________________
ozy6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master
 
BambiTex's Avatar
 
1967 26' Overlander
1955 22' Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Clear Lake Shores , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,126
Easier method...

When I paneled mine, I left the original panels in place and just overlaid the 1/8" birch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EndCapCouch.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	269369  
__________________
BambiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 10:38 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member
 
ozy6205's Avatar
 
1973 Argosy 20
Alpena , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 41
<Update> Nvm - I got it out
__________________
ozy6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
Rivet Master
 
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,623
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy6205 View Post
<Update> Nvm - I got it out
You beat me to it, what was holding it in?
__________________
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016, 07:01 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member
 
ozy6205's Avatar
 
1973 Argosy 20
Alpena , Michigan
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiJoeSilver View Post
You beat me to it, what was holding it in?
I was loosening it by myself. I tried pushing up to loosen, but that wouldn't work. It *must* be tipped backwards from the top apparently. Once I had a friend to help, it came out easily
__________________

__________________
ozy6205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is this the end of my end caps? unit13 Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 9 01-02-2017 10:42 AM
Interior end caps IndyAnne 1959-69 Tradewind 8 09-07-2008 10:17 AM
interior plastic end caps catson4 Interior Restoration Forum 1 01-05-2008 06:30 AM
Stripping the Interior End Caps--Am I Nuts? ironfem200 General Interior Topics 2 01-29-2006 04:07 PM
What kind of interior paint 1971 Overlander/End caps dingy riverdreamer Upholstery, Blinds, Walls & Interior Finishes 5 05-24-2004 09:36 AM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.