Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2016, 12:39 PM   #1

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Installing Oceanair Roller Shades In 2013 Airstream

I am looking to convert the metal blinds in my 2013 Airstream Flying Cloud to Oceanair Roller shades. I'm having trouble finding a dealer who is qualified for the work. Can someone please give me some advice on installation?
Asburt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I bought four of the ocean air shades. I had trouble locating somewhere to order them. The custom ones cost me a fortune from some yacht place. Do you have them already? Airstream can sell them to you if it is sized correctly for your windows and they are cheaper than custom.

They are not hard to put in. They fit close and tight. If you are up for it DIY. Take some pictures of an AS with them (up close where they are attached) to get an idea of how to do it. If I remember, the screws are in the bag as is the little holder latch and knot-on catch at the bottom. Just remember to drill the hole (smaller than screw) through the inner shell and tighten the screws only until the start to tighten- not too tight. Use a level to get the left/right height. I do not know if Airstream uses the stop knobs in their application but I did and it works perfect for the Herr window. I can close the shade to the stop and open the windows at the bottom too.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Here is a source for the shades, just in case you need it:

http://www.zarcor.com/rv_market/index.php
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 01:12 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asburt01 View Post
I am looking to convert the metal blinds in my 2013 Airstream Flying Cloud to Oceanair Roller shades. I'm having trouble finding a dealer who is qualified for the work. Can someone please give me some advice on installation?
I know the dealership where I work will do it. And the parts department will order them. I've pretty much browbeaten them into it, the parts guys will come see me to order the correct shades for your trailer. I've spent considerable time figuring out which Airstream part numbers fit what older trailers, and how many of each.
The drawback for you is, it's a pretty long drive just to get shades.
Old 03-26-2016, 02:03 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Rodsterinfl is correct; they are an easy DIY project if you want to tackle it. I installed them in our 2013 FC all around except for the bathroom, where I used one of the sliding closures carried by Zarcor.com. As SeaLevel stated, it is an excellent source for the shades-also much less expensive than any other place I tried. If you want part numbers or more info, feel free to PM me.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Interesting thread. I would be interested in changing ours out also. We have a28' FC 2013. So if anyone can assist on what units to order that would be great

Thanks
Doug

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Old 03-26-2016, 10:50 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Interesting!!!! We have the standard blinds on our Flying Cloud. We decided to "upgrade" to the Oceanaire roller shades. We ordered then through our Airstream Dealer, not cheap, but included all the parts, etc. very easy to install. Due to time constraints, I only was able to install them on two of the Windows before a trip. While they are nice, and looked great, we missed the ability we had with the blinds to vary the overall opening just by adjusting the tilt of the individuals slats on the blinds. And with the blinds we can have them fully up, closed, or anywhere in between. On the Oceanaire, they were either fully open, half open if you hooked them on the window handles, or closed. We really missy the adjustability of the blinds. So I re-installed the blinds, and returned the Oceanaire shades. That is probably just us, but thought I would share our experience����������
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:07 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Doug, I sent you a PM with the part numbers of the shades we installed in our 2013 FC 25-footer. The shades were much less expensive from Zarcor than from any dealer we checked.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:12 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
Shades

I.installed one on my door (27 ft international signature) same that was /is over three kitchen. Learned the hard way not to use the aluminum screws that came with it. Stainless steel worked and didn't break off. I got lucky and was able to get the broken aluminum one out.
Btw . I didn't have a rivet tool.
Probably would work just as well.
Posted it on forum what I had done and someone responded what would i do if it rained!
Didn't answer that! But thought to myself. Maybe i would just close the door! Duh!
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Sandy , Oregon
I just had them installed on our 2010-30' FC, bedroom only. They work great as they're intended for privacy during sleep and changing clothes. Otherwise, they're open. Kept the blinds that came with the AS in the kitchen and living room, as I can adjust them as needed. They were installed by Adventures Northwest, in Gladstone, Or. $750 installed. Not cheap, but worth it.
carlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:46 PM   #11

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Thanks! I appreciate all the great tips. I have my on order so should have them soon!
Old 03-27-2016, 10:49 PM   #12

2013 27' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
@moxie t. moto- Thanks for your response. Quick follow up. Did you do anything special or just screw the blinds directly into the aluminum. Did you use an anchor any anything else special?
Old 03-29-2016, 11:19 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
oceanair

Made small pilots holes. Used stainless steel metal screws. Aluminum ones tended to break off. Was able to extract broken off one (barely).
thought the panel on the inside of the door was a piece of fiberform. Turned out to be painted aluminum. .
glad I out that shade on the door! Was parked under really bright security light at recent rally in shawnee ok. Life saver.
hope your project goes well.
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
while the OceanAire are a nice product like you mentioned either up or down.. open or closed of half way which block the window..

I like the mini blinds with ability to turn them open or half open or closed or up or down.. way more user adjustable it seems to me.

sometimes simple is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaier7771 View Post
Interesting!!!! We have the standard blinds on our Flying Cloud. We decided to "upgrade" to the Oceanaire roller shades. We ordered then through our Airstream Dealer, not cheap, but included all the parts, etc. very easy to install. Due to time constraints, I only was able to install them on two of the Windows before a trip. While they are nice, and looked great, we missed the ability we had with the blinds to vary the overall opening just by adjusting the tilt of the individuals slats on the blinds. And with the blinds we can have them fully up, closed, or anywhere in between. On the Oceanaire, they were either fully open, half open if you hooked them on the window handles, or closed. We really missy the adjustability of the blinds. So I re-installed the blinds, and returned the Oceanaire shades. That is probably just us, but thought I would share our experience����������
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 03:32 PM   #15
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Part of the reason for buying a new rather than used AS was to get the shades. They fit our lifestyle. The rattle of metal blinds does not work well for us, but we do understand why folks want the adjustment they provide.

Good luck with your install. If you keep adding the good stuff like this, you'l have a 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 ..... AS. Kind of Cash's Cadillac. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:50 AM   #16
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
All-

Just circling back on this thread to update that we completed the OceanAir install in our Pete yesterday. We pined for these for a long while, as we were really not fans of the $9.00 mini-blinds in our coach..... When we started seeing these in the newer Airstreams, we knew we wanted them.

As many above have stated, we ordered the five that we needed from Zarcor. They have a good size comparison table on their website for many of the common Airstream window sizes. In case it helps someone in the future, we ordered four of the RSH-7561864 blinds for the two bedroom and two lounge windows, and one RSH-4831610 for the double porthole windows over the sink. This is in our 2014 Flying Cloud 27fb. These are the perfect sizes for this coach, and the window open levers even make nice "partly open" position holders for the bottom of the blind tubes.

We took our time, leveling each roller tube, and carefully adjusting the position to match the window as perfectly as would could, held our breath, and started drilling 3/32" holes. It worked fine, the screws they included appear to be stainless steel and are very tough, and we are very happy in how it turned out. I did not order the plastic "plugs" they sell for the old mini-blind mounting holes. I might just fill the ones we see with a rivet. I'm still pondering on that.........

So, we're happy with the upgrade, and looking forward to the grand young'uns not popping the mini-blinds from bed when they bunk with us, not having to mess with the bottom tabs to open them fully, and the ends not bending if you look at them funny.

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OceanAirs in Pete.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	275992  
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:55 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Hmm, i've got one set of blinds in my 2008 Classic 25fb in the kitchen next to the sink. I don't really like them. I wonder if I can order one with a different color than the gray? Also, are they water proof and clean up well incase of over splash from the sink?

Kelvin
Old 11-26-2016, 06:24 AM   #18
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Hmm, i've got one set of blinds in my 2008 Classic 25fb in the kitchen next to the sink. I don't really like them. I wonder if I can order one with a different color than the gray? Also, are they water proof and clean up well in case of over splash from the sink?

Kelvin
The Oceanaire shades do clean up pretty easily, though I can't answer about the colors. One thing I've noticed about them, is you have to be sure to roll them straight up and down, or else the edges will rapidly fray.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:26 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Thanks for posting! I believe this will be my next project.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:17 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
2019 23' Flying Cloud
Dunedin , Florida
"While they are nice, and looked great, we missed the ability we had with the blinds to vary the overall opening just by adjusting the tilt of the individuals slats on the blinds. And with the blinds we can have them fully up, closed, or anywhere in between. On the Oceanaire, they were either fully open, half open if you hooked them on the window handles, or closed. We really miss the adjustability of the blinds. So I re-installed the blinds, and returned the Oceanaire shades. That is probably just us, but thought I would share our experience"

***This is my biggest concern too. Being able to adjust light with the blinds is a plus, especially with the big windows. Thanks for easing my mind...not to switch. I may just get some wooden slat blinds. Thanks J.
Rosalita WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Florida Suncoast #129, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote