Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Interior Restoration Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short

Inner space......

.....the aluminum frontier.

As I work my way through my '75 Sovereign, I've noticed that quite a bit of the factory hardware and such are screwed to the inner walls. Having perused the outer skin of my A/S many times, and noticing it doesn't look like a porcupine with a wealth of sheet metal screws sticking out of it, I'm going to make a giant leap of faith and assume there is some type of space between the inner and outer walls.

Does anyone know how thick that inner space is, and is it insulated perchance? I may need to replace a few items, or remount and replace a few screws in the near future. I'm pretty sure if I use a 3/4" X 12" lag bolt, it'll probably protrude through the outer skin. How much fudge factor 'do' I have though concerning the thickness of the space and the length of the screws? Is there any interior way to tell if there is a brace behind the walls, or if I use the original holes, should I feel fairly safe?

I'm not planning on doing any major changes, just repair. On the other hand, a 31' Sovereign with a 6' crystal chandelier, 5 or 6 velvet paintings from Mexico screwed to the walls (including the dogs playing cards, that's a given) on top of astro turf wallpaper would be pretty tasteful if done right, don't you think?

John-Boy

1975 31' Sovereign
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 'Laramie', HEMI
krowsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 11:49 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
West Linn , Oregon
Well, if you look at the window and door openings you can get a pretty good idea - about 1 1/2 to 2" max. Yes, it is all insulated with fiberglass (the pink stuff).
Old 09-03-2004, 07:41 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
One way to find the ribs is to look for the inner rivet lines. Unless it is a lap seam, the rivets are into ribs. Stay under an inch on the screw lengths.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote