Old 07-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #1
1977 31' Sovereign
Richmond , California
Inner skin

My husband and I just purchased a 1977 Sovereign land yacht. It has all the original components - some working some not. Our plan is to take it down to the ribs - replace all the electrical and plumbing. My question is about the interior skin. It seems to be made of plastic (and very sticky). One what is underneath this (insulation/wiring and then the exterior skin?). There are some areas where there is a slider/cover for the vista view window and the slider doesn't work (get rid of it or keep?). Also in the front end cap there is area of plastic/fiberglass above the gaucho that is cracked (see photo) - easy to repair? How do we patch it? I take it we keep this skin, clean it reattach it and then paint over it?

Also is there a place to sell some of the original pieces that we won't be reusing?

We are both looking forward to working on this project and we are so excited that we found this forum.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1948.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	334.1 KB
ID:	267785   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3908.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	267786  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2942.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	267787  

Wilma77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member
1977 25' Tradewind
Florence , South Carolina
I'm working on my 1977 Tradewind interior right now, and what I see in toes looks very similar to what I see in mine:

The interior skin or aluminum covered with some sort of vinyl? wallpaper? I have not done so, but I have heard that to clean them off the best thing that you can do is clean them with crud cutter and then follow it up with simple green. I have also heard that if you're taking them off you can take them off and pressure wash them to get them clean.

Underneath the skin you will find pink insulation and electrical wires. You may also find some mouse droppings, mouse tunnels, and other unpleasant things, but thankfully I have not found any of those in mine. And hopefully you won't either.

I don't know about your other questions, sorry I couldn't help you there. Good luck, and walking to the forums.

ajcannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:10 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
The interior skins are probably sticky due to cooking off-gases and maybe cigarette smoke. When you have them out, lay them out on a grassy area and go after them with a de-greaser / bleach soft-scrub and a stiff brush. They will come out pretty clean. You will want to spend some time removing all the old rivet remnants...and be sure not to enlarge the if you are lucky, they will go back in using the same holes. Once the inner skins are out, you can take a look at the sliders, and decide whether you can renew or make new. You would probably be happy to have the shade that they provide.

The forward end cap is very fragile and cannot be replaced. If you are handy, you could construct a new end cap out of aluminum or thin wood. There are threads in the Forum where others have done this. To stop the crack, you might drill a hole at the leading point of the crack to stop its progress. Then cover the crack with some strong tape (I like Gorilla Tape) to stabilize it. When you have it out, you can use an automotive fiberglass repair kit on both sides to fix the problem. Sanded well and repainted, you'll hardly notice the crack.

Good luck with your project. And Welcome to the Forum! All questions have their answers here...or at least varying opinions.
arktos55343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
mansfield , Ohio
The skins can also be sticky from the plasticizers in the vinyl coating leaching through. We had the same issue. Cleaning with tsp and then clean off tsp with water. Prime with oil based primer . Then paint with whatever you like . Haven't had a problem since. We have a 77 sovereign , center bath . Have done a lot to it . If you have any questions feel free to ask . Congrats on the purchase !!!
teebs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:11 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Tallmadge , Ohio
Welcome to the 1977 Sovereign Full Monty club! We just bought ours a few weeks ago. I'm almost finish gutting it. We'll have to keep track of each other's progress!
PurdyWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 12:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master
1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
The sticky is from the secondary plasticizer used in the flexible PVC wallpaper laminated to the aluminum. It leaches out after 38 years. If you like the look, clean it off with strong detergent and coat it with Future floor wax, to prevent it from getting sticky again. If you do not like the look, clean it and paint it with oil based paint. I also have a 77 that had the same issue.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member
1970 23' Safari
Denton , Texas
I don't know for sure that we are talking the same thing, but in my '70 Safari it's "vinyl clad" and that stuff gets tacky over time. It absorbs contaminants - like cooking grease, and the heat also leeches the (I assume) petrochemical compositions to the surface.
I went the hard route, starting many years ago, and stripped the vinyl clad off the aluminum. I would never have done that had I known I would eventually (years later) be overruled by the significant other, and the decision become to paint the interior instead of polish it. I guess that's the difference between guys and intelligent women. Guys like shiny objects!
OnTheFlyRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 08:26 PM   #8
1960 22' Flying Cloud
Sunlakes , Arizona
1960 Flying Cloud Full Restore

Started a full restore on our 1960 Flying Cloud couple of months ago
After having frame sandblasted, some frame reconstruction, painted, new marine grade ply floor, got the shell back on and ready for total rewire. Need some help and suggestions on relocation of electrical panel.

Thanks, Cabman
cabmike1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 09:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Cabmike, I recommend starting a new separate thread for your question. You'll get better results.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2016, 08:21 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
1986 25' Sovereign
Oak Harbor , Washington
Unless you have major electrical changes I would leave it alone. There are in my view three electrical system in the wiring alone, that does not count the power supply/charging/solar/inverter systems. The wiring is color coded and your manual has it documented. For the 125VAC circuits it would be better to replace the panel and add to it.

sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote