Old 12-12-2015, 12:34 PM   #449
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Marco View Post
Next question would be:
Since I have all my inner skins off, would you recommend caulking over the back of every single rivet? That should solve any "leaky rivet" problems right?
Man... I'm not sure I'd be willing to put in that much time/effort. I have sealed all the seams from inside with TremPro 635, but I didn't go over the rivets. I DID notice that the vast majority of the rivets in the rear end (behind where the rear shell would be) were just barely riveted (like someone at the factory didn't have the riveting gun turned up high enough and the rivets were practically just sitting in the holes), so I've gone over all those with the pneumatic rivet gun to mushroom them out a little more. I definitely noticed the skin pulled tighter when I did this (reminds me of that scene from "Brazil"), so I was worried a little bit about having actually created leaks by doing this (after the skin shifted), but after a good long water test, everything still seems ok.

The only downside I see (other than time and cost of materials) to TremPro-ing all the rivets is if, god forbid, you ever have to remove any of them. I think all that goo all over everything might make things tricky.

...now back to insulating!

p.s. I forgot to mention Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure in my "goo" post. I've never used it, but I've heard people mention it. I think it's similar to the Acryl-R in that it "wicks," but it doesn't require the applicator (just comes in a little 8 oz. bottle with a little pointy tip). Sounds like it's good for single rivets and small cracks in seams and window seals. Again, a little pricey at $23 for 8 oz. Amazon says it delivers in two days (Prime), but I've heard people complain that it takes up to 30 days (shipping from UK).

kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 06:41 PM   #450
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I've got a bottle of Captain Tolley's sealant. I can see it wick in around rivets. It is quite viscous and difficult to apply on vertical surfaces. Just a half a drop is too much. But I have not tested it in a controlled manner before and after application on a known leak.

I think I told The Marco before, but I find pressurizing the trailer and spraying soap on seams and rivets seemed to work well for me. Big bubbles form at the leak source. A moisture detector probing along the interior wall to floor intersection is also helpful after a hard rain.

The Airstream factory prefers the water test.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1505 Leak Test 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	261.9 KB
ID:	253771  

Old 12-13-2015, 11:52 AM   #451
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
Someday Ill be able to do the pressure-soap-bubble-test. Right now my shell is just barely attached to the frame, though. I can see daylight around pretty much the entire perimeter at the floor. Soon I will figure out where or how to fabricate some banana wraps though, and then she'll be ready to seal up air tight!
Old 12-13-2015, 12:16 PM   #452
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
Ugh, don't get me started on banana wraps! Mine are so dinged, dented and rippled. They look terrible on an otherwise beautiful trailer. I'm pretty sure they are gonna drive me so crazy that I will eventually bondo them and paint everything below the lower trim black. Kinda like the newer ASs (Airstreams). As far as I know, you can't buy new metal banana wraps. Doubt they would fit right anyway if you could.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #453
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Most vintage Airstreams have dented banana wraps. While replacing the belly pan, I wiggled off the dented banana wraps. Then I got a bag of sand, position the piece on the sand bag, and gently tapped with a small hammer. I was surprised how most of the dents smoothed out. But they are not perfect, patina they call it.

My 86 has plastic banana wraps. Much easier to make and much easier to replace.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Banana Wrap Curb Side.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	253869   Click image for larger version

Name:	1406 Banana Wrap Street Side Fixed.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	253870  

Old 12-16-2015, 12:07 AM   #454
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
I was able to get the dents out from road damage for the most part, and didn't even end up with that patina look, but somewhere during the process of putting them back on made them ripple at the top. I'm hoping the trim hides a lot of it! The polishing definitely made it far more noticeable

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 12-16-2015, 06:28 PM   #455
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I recommend you go out and smear some mud on those banana wraps. Then you won't notice small flaws and will feel much better.

It might be your polished Globetrotter is developing water spots already. I find my polished trailers get spotted, dirty, and splattered. I no longer worry about it. They are built for traveling and that's what they do; in the rain, in the bugs, and parked under trees. I think they look better than the faded clearcoat I stripped off.

Polished trailers makes it obvious why Airstream applies a clear coat to their aluminum. It is much easier to maintain.

David
Old 12-16-2015, 06:43 PM   #456
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
banana wraps

Banana wraps can be straightened on an english wheel.

You may be able to get Colin Hyde to straighten them for you with his.

1987 Avion 34X

1985 Avion 30R
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 12:42 PM   #457
3 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Denver , Colorado
I still haven't found someone to make mine, but I'm hoping to use as thick an aluminum as possible for the banana wraps. You can buy plastic ones from the Airstream places on line, and I think I've even seen aluminum ones from one of the places, but they are SUPER pricey (like, buying enough to go all the way around my Airstream would cost considerably more than what I paid for the entire Airstream).