Old 07-20-2014, 09:41 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1970 21' Globetrotter
Hamilton , Montana
I'm laughing at your pile as I have a similar pile from working on my 1970 Globetrotter. Be careful as some of this stuff is very hard to replace.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:06 PM   #30
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Marco... you DID intend this, didn't you...?

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:10 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
Dear cwf,
I did not intend on this, one thing kinda led to another. I had no idea how these things were constructed
Old 07-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
What is your wish list? In need of advice!

Okay team, So as someone said, I'm at a bit of a crossroads here. It is seeming like it might be easier start fresh than to try to repair the mangled mess of OEM stuff I ripped out of the trailer.
I think I was using the wrong tools to take things out... Like a sawzall and a crow bar. Live and learn I guess.
Moving forward, I'd like to take a poll from our seasoned Airstreamers since I have only enjoyed my trailer for 2 nights total before I F'ed it all up...

1. What are the things you wish you had? Solar panels? Outdoor speakers? More storage?
2. What are some things you could live without or never use? I.E. The oven? Fresh water tank? Wall clock and barometer?
3. What would be some deal breakers if you were to buy a restored/renovated trailer and money was no object? (assuming that everything was perfect as far as frame, subfloor etc.) Like: "there is no propane fridge in this thing, I can't live without that"

I know these answers are going to vary drastically, but I want to get a good game plan before I move forward, and also know I'll be able to sell my trailer if I fall on hard times as it is kind of a luxury item for me.

And some things to keep in mind about my uses:
A. I will be boon docking in the desert for dirt biking trips a handful of times a year.
B. I plan on living in the trailer full time for one year while building a house, the trailer will be parked in front of the job site (for security reasons as well, so no one steals my materials at night).
C. After a few months of the job starting I will most likely have a power cord and hose running to it. But before that I will be somewhat boon docking in a suburban neighborhood.
D. It is a 1972 21' Globetrotter. I live near Los Angeles/Santa Monica with tame winters and little to no rain. Thanks everyone!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:44 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
, Florida
Seems to me that months in that trailer building a house you will need to shower daily. With a porta potty on site for black water maybe you could just find a sneaky place to drain the gray water? Otherwise you will be needing to tow that thing off to find a place to dump your waste water. Not exactly a good use of time while trying to build a house.

This is a lot of work for you to just to have a place to live while you build a place to live if you get my drift.

I would just buy another camper to live in with a working bathroom kitchen etc. Keep the GT as a long term project.

You need housing and a cheap SOB can handle that while you get the GT fixed up.

Just my .02

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

77' Airstream Tradewind

2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
There are so many variables here, it's hard to know where to begin. I think the fact that most of the original interior is now junk due to the sawzall/hammer/prybar technique, seriously negates your ability to get a substantial amount of money for the AS in the future, should you have to sell it...unless you have some mad skills, and can turn the thing into a show-piece. Even then, you're talking big bucks. And the potential buyer for that type of trailer is in short supply (imho). People pay more money for an original vintage interior, than they do for a rehab job. If they are going to spend that kind of money, they may as well buy new....or newer that doesn't need a lot of work.

Solar is of limited value to someone who wants to take the camper to State and Federal campgrounds...due to heavily wooded areas. If they are going to park it in the desert sun...maybe. But who would want to live in an aluminum oven? The solar will not run your a/c, nor will your batteries.

These days, you could do without the gas oven. There are electro-mag cooktops that generate very little heat. There are microwaves and toaster ovens....and cooking outdoors over a campfire. Of course, none of these will run off your solar or batteries either...for very long. You will need to be plugged in to power most appliances. Sure, a BIG solar array might mitigate this issue...but the technology is not yet there.

Definitely NO NO NO to outdoor speakers. Nobody in a campground wants to hear what you are playing. And these days, with bluetooth technology, there really is no reason to have a wired stereo in your AS. Besides...wired stereos are phantom power draws that will drain your batteries, unless you have a bypass switch...but then you have to keep re-saving your stations and settings every time you power up.

You could live without tanks. There are portable black and gray water tanks. But you have to empty them. And that would seriously affect your resale value to anyone who wants to actually use the camper as it was intended.

There are people who can live without a propane fridge...because they believe they will be plugged into 30amp service most of the time...and can get by when they are not. But the standard for TTs is propane/electric fridge...so that you have the option of either/both and keeping your food cold while traveling.

I believe I can get by without a toilet and shower, because most of the time, I will be in established campgrounds with their own showers and toilets. Let someone else clean up the mess, I say. But other people...potential buyers of your unit...who have children and want to travel...may feel a shower and toilet are mandatory. I installed an outdoor shower on mine....so when I am boon docking...I can just step out the door and shower under the stars.

Storage is always a problem in ASs. You cannot plan to store a lot of gear and supplies behind the wheels. The frame is not strong enough to carry a heavy load while bouncing down the road. That contributes to frame failure. So, you make do with what you can. But there is only so much room in an aluminum can (I say that affectionately, of course).

Most people rehab vintage Airstreams for the love of it....not for potential resale. If you do the job right, it will take a long time...and cost a lot of money. But you do it for the love of the Airstream...and the Airstream life (Ok, so that's a bit overly romantic....). No matter what you do to the Airstream at this point, many of your 'potential' buyers will not like it....and won't pay you what you think it is worth.

If you are not into the Airstream for the love and iconology that it represents, sell it now for whatever you can get out of it. Give someone else the chance to pour their love into it for themselves and their family. And get yourself an SOB that will suit your purposes.

put.down.the.sawzall
Old 07-21-2014, 06:20 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Marco, just so you know, we never use or imply cuss words in these Forums. It is not part of the Airstream culture. This is a highly rated Forum and we plan to keep it that way. Just so you know.

Thanks,

David
Old 07-21-2014, 06:54 PM   #36
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Marco..
Since you are in this deep, it might be best to make this a full restore...make it new over time.

Meanwhile, get a disposable SOB (Some Other Brand) that you can pick up cheap and use for your housing...till your home is completed.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 05:17 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
Thanks for the input guys! As always, amazing info and great opinions. And sorry about the cussing. I'll try to keep things classy.

So... As far as living in the AS during construction of the new house, I have enough time to COMPLETELY restore/renovate the airstream before I start the house build.

And... I am 110% in it for the love of the Airstream. Having one has been my dream since I was a kid. The resale value thing is just something to keep in the back of my mind. Finances got pretty hairy during my last house build.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:31 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Hopkins , Minnesota
Check with your city, and make sure they will allow you to live in the AS while you are building the house. Some municipalities forbid it.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:21 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
Thanks Marco. Airstreamers are a classy bunch, you included! I will answer your questions the best I can. Many forum members have had Airstreams COMPLETELY apart and successfully rebuilt them, many time better than new, or exactly like they left the factory. Lots of experience in all things Airstream.

David
Old 07-23-2014, 01:19 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
It sounds like you have emotional attachment to this trailer already. I bought a 1995 boat and trailer four years ago. Looked great, runs even better. Paid 15k worth 19K at the time. In the past 4 years I have put in 20K into it. Total I am in for is about 35K and I will never recoup this money as its probably worth 15K now. I guess my point is, we fix old things up knowing we will not turn a profit but rather have something you exactly want. My boat is exactly what I want and if I were to buy it brand new today I would pay probably 70K but I am happy with the 35K I put in. Knowing what I know now would I do it again or scrap it and just buy a 35K boat? Thats the million dollar question I guess. What I should have done was sell it for the 19 it was worth four years ago taken the profit and got out of owning a boat! LOL
Old 07-23-2014, 03:25 PM   #41
3 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Bugtussel , Oklahoma
B O A T=*Bust*Out*Another*Thousand!

Can we come up with a good acronym for AIRSTREAM?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:57 AM   #42
3 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Culver City , California
Well I will do my get to track how much money I put into this little guy. So far I got the rivet kit and rivet removal tool from vintage trailer supply. I kinda look at airstreams as putting money in the bank to an extent. As long as I do a good job fixing it, and never fling it off a mountain by accident, I should get my money back out. The same doesn't seem to be true with things that have engines it in from my experience (like your boat). Unless of course someone with your exact taste is out there!

So tonight I finished removing all the interior panels and rat turd infused insulation. You will all be happy to know I wore a full face respirator and won't die of the pink lung (kinda like the black lung coal miners got).

However, I did stick with the old jeans and t-shirt. My arms were covered in pink fur. A remedy I googled and seemed to do the trick was:
1. Gently wipe my arms with towel in direction of the hairs.
2. pouring apple cider vinegar on my arms and neck.
3. Wait 10 minutes without scratching myself
4. Take a cold shower always wiping in the direction of the hairs.

It was not fun. Now it is time for the garbage fairy to deliver his goodies to all the neighbor's trash cans while everyone is fast asleep.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1406192226.133264.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	682.9 KB
ID:	217272