Old 07-18-2004, 07:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
If your ready to start working on it, then yes I would pull it out from where it is (should be ok to do that since your not going anywhere) then I would do a general looksy of the whole unit and make a list of what repairs you think need to be done. Generally you attack it from the outside bottom up - so you want to get the axles checked out, look over the frame, clean up the outside, check the coupler, tanks, door lock etc, then its time to start on the interior, go around the whole inside with a ice pick and look for floor rot, check all appliances, do a good cleaning etc. So make up your list and let us know whats on it and you'll get all kinds of advice of fixing it up. If you just want to have a good usable trailer, should not be too tough - although may have to put some money into it.

Ken

Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 08:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Help! Where do I Start?

Greetings Pezzy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pezzy
Thanks Kevin, I think. I still don't know what to do with it! Is there a manual somewhere that tells the adoptive parent of an airstream what to do? I just know that when I look at it I see something that is beautiful and begging to be set loose. I just don't know how!
In 1965 Airstream was in only its second year of publishing an owners' manual, and it would be several more years before a service manual would be published. You can obtain photo copies of the '65 Owners' Manual from Secretarial Services as described below:

(Quoted from: http://www.airstream.net/FAQ/FAQ_3.html#Manuals )

Quote:
Q: I need an owners and service manual for my Airstream. Where can I get one?
A: The first owners manuals were published in 1964. Prior to that, the owner received a brown envelope containing parts lists and other helpful information on the accessories in his trailer. The VAC has started making these available in the Members Archive section. A service manual with instructions for performing service operations did not exist until 1972.
You can get photocopies of owners manual (1964+) and service manuals (1972-1986) from:

Helen Davis Secretarial Services
PO Box 484 Sidney, OH 45365
(937)492-8885

Prices are about $33 and $70 respectively. After 1986 the Owners Manuals included available service information.
Beyond the owners' manual, and resources like this site there aren't really any books that I have seen that address Vintage RV restoration of any type. A helpful book that is often recommended to novice RVers that describes the functions of the major systems is: RV Repair and Maintenance by Bob Livingston - - your can learn more about this book at:

RV Repair and Maintenance by Bob Livingston

Another site with helpful information about Vintage Airstream is operated by the Vintage Airstream Club (an Intra-Club of the Wally Byam Caravan Club International). You can find the Vintage Airstream Club's web site at:

http://www.airstream.net/index.html

On the homepage, you will find links to several features including the VAC discussion list - - it is an e-mail based discussion list that is dedicated to Vintage Airstream products (those coaches 25 or more years old).

Good luck with your investigation and decision!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 09:27 PM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Thank all of you!

Thanks to everyone who has responded! I have no idea what will happen next, but I will let you know when it does. I have to set short term goals being a teacher and an ex-special ed teacher. My first goal is to get it up from the pasture and out from under the trees. I'll set another goal once that is done. Since I own a Saturn, that may take some doing.
Thanks a bunch,
Pezzy
Old 07-19-2004, 12:20 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

thanx for the pics

a vintage airstream on the brink of a thoughtful restoration is a beautiful sight.
as long as you have a roughly decent shell- no major gouges, gashes or holes then you have a restorable airstream. even with a messed up shell you can find salvage shells and replace your busted parts.
to move it and carry it around for now, you can probably find an old F250 or an old 3/4 ton chevy for around $1000- or maybe even less than that because you just need to get it out of the pasture and possibly haul it down the road and what not
looks like a good size coach, too
about a 30 ft or so but it doesnt look too bad, will just take some time and probably some money
research always pays off. hands down, and this site has people that have been down the road that you and a lot of other people are going down
anyway, good luck and keep us posted
Old 07-19-2004, 08:29 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Thanks again to all of you!

OK, I think I have a beginning game plan. I will see today about checking the links to the manuals and other sites that were sent. First job is to get it out of the woods and up by the house - which is where it has been for most of the time that I have had it. I only moved it down to where it is now about 4 years ago while I finished up the house. Wish me luck.
Pezzy
Old 07-19-2004, 11:21 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglerab
You'll need a title if you dont have one. The VIN (vehicle identification number) is located to the right of the entrance under the window engraved on a plate that also says the model (ie Overlander or Caravel).

Tittle? Tittle? We don't need no stinking tittle in Georgia!
Serious we don't have to title her on anything older the 15 years I believe. Posestion in 9/10ths the law. I would register it Before I put anything into it simply to make sure it clean SN number. The likelyhood of it not being clean is pretty slim.

From there I would move it out of the weeds like others have said. There are a LOT of Airstreams in Florida with perfect bodies with no frames under them. Sitting on wet soil they start to rust out. Get it someplace where it has some airflow under it and good drainage around it. Inspect the frame as the first assesmenet if it's salvagable. If the frame is rotten then that a REAL big ticket to fix and unless you can weld your talking a LOT of money. It's probably not worth paying somebody else to repair.

If you decide to scrap please message me. I would be interested in parts if they will fit our 59 we are restoring.

Welcome to the madness!
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 05:16 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Toaster,
I will take your advice about moving it. It was in a place where air could get all around and under it until just the last few years. I assume I literally crawl under it and look for rust. Or is there some trick that I need to know? I ordered the book Ken suggested and it shipped out today. As for title, the woman I bought my property from is still in the town nearest to me and is a pretty nice lady. Her parents were the previous owners. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get a clear title on it. If I decide this is more than I can manage, I'll post it here. Someone offered me $200 a couple of years ago, but I turned it down.
Thanks for all the help,
Pezzt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 59toaster
Tittle? Tittle? We don't need no stinking tittle in Georgia!
Serious we don't have to title her on anything older the 15 years I believe. Posestion in 9/10ths the law. I would register it Before I put anything into it simply to make sure it clean SN number. The likelyhood of it not being clean is pretty slim.

From there I would move it out of the weeds like others have said. There are a LOT of Airstreams in Florida with perfect bodies with no frames under them. Sitting on wet soil they start to rust out. Get it someplace where it has some airflow under it and good drainage around it. Inspect the frame as the first assesmenet if it's salvagable. If the frame is rotten then that a REAL big ticket to fix and unless you can weld your talking a LOT of money. It's probably not worth paying somebody else to repair.

If you decide to scrap please message me. I would be interested in parts if they will fit our 59 we are restoring.

Welcome to the madness!
Old 05-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

ready to start

OK, I know it has been a long time, but I did buy the RV Repair and Maintenance Manual and got it pulled up out of the weeds. I haven't crawled under it because I am convinced there is a snake using the underside for a home. I went inside and tried to get a list of what was there. It is in terrible shape!!! There is a gas stove, a refridgerator, sink, bathroom and totally destroyed bed. It has a link in the back through the fan vent. The floor appears pretty good except right by the door. The step leading into it is all rusted and about broken off. It has dents and general neglect and smells horrible. However, with the exception of the vent leak and the floor by the door, it seems fairly solid. I would guess that the electrical system is shot, but I don't know. I do own a generator already although I am not knowledgeable enough to know if it is the size/type you would use with an Airstream. We have it because we live on a farm in the country and when power goes out - so does the well. So, anyone who can tell me what to do next - I'm listening.

Thanks,

Pezzy
Old 05-30-2005, 01:08 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

A little clarification and correction

A little clarification and correction: I didn't pull the RV Repair and Maintenance book up out of the weeds as my message would indicate. I pulled the Airstream up out of the weeds. Also, I don't have a link in the fan vent, I have a leak in the fan vent.

Sorry,

Pezzy