Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Help! I messed up my fiberglass repair!!

I am fiberglass ing my refrigerator scoop with west systems epoxy and resin and fiberglass cloth. I misread the mixing instructions and used a 1:1 ratio, instead of a 5:1. All I remember reading was "use equal number of pumps per solution"
I shoulda wondered why the hardener was in a small can and the resin was in a big can, duh! Will it ever cure?? It's laid out all nice and smooth but still very wet. If its just a matter of a few more days curing, I can live with that. But if it will never cure, then I need to get that cloth off ASAP, right?

Old 01-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1957 30' Sovereign of the Road
1959 28' Ambassador
1949 24' Limited
Peru , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasafari View Post
I am fiberglass ing my refrigerator scoop with west systems epoxy and resin and fiberglass cloth. I misread the mixing instructions and used a 1:1 ratio, instead of a 5:1. All I remember reading was "use equal number of pumps per solution"
I shoulda wondered why the hardener was in a small can and the resin was in a big can, duh! Will it ever cure?? It's laid out all nice and smooth but still very wet. If its just a matter of a few more days curing, I can live with that. But if it will never cure, then I need to get that cloth off ASAP, right?
I'm not sure about epoxies, but polyester resins can burst into flames when the ratio is off, however typically won't do that if the mixture is "way off" like yours is. My guess is that it won't cure correctly. I would scrape it off & do it over.
Colin

Colin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
I'd sure try to get the wet cloth off and start over. Acetone will help you clean up the mess. Make sure you use gloves. Couldn't tell from your post, but I hope you did get the West System pumps.

If you get some of the West System fillers or micro balloons you can easily fill the weave and finish with a smooth job.

Cheers,
Steve

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Hallelujah and pass the collection plates!! I think I did do it correctly! I used the pump systems so they automatically dispense the correct amount of solution-that is why they said one pump each. But then I was reading the ratios, and west has that figured into the pumps.
Thanks Colin and Steve for your quick and helpful responses. Every day is a learning experience
Old 01-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I assume you are talking polyester resin. If you increase the amount of hardener relative to the resin you will have a quicker setting, but weaker resin. For a air scoop probably does not make any difference. A boat hull might be a little different story.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
I assume you are talking polyester resin. If you increase the amount of hardener relative to the resin you will have a quicker setting, but weaker resin. For a air scoop probably does not make any difference. A boat hull might be a little different story.
I'll post some photos in the morning about how it looks. I also did the plastic wheel wells because they were cracked
Old 01-13-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Athens , Georgia
Oh, I used the west system resin and hardener. Is that poly?