Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
Hello from Texas '73 Argosy 24

I just wanted to say hi! I acquired a 1973 Argosy 24 this week and got it home today. I will be renovating it over time. There are more questions than I can shake a stick at... but for now I just wanted to say hi.

I have attached the requisite picture with TV in ... you guessed it... Wal-Mart parking lot. Had to pick up some light bulbs for the turn/stop lights.

I was not running a weight distribution hitch, but I do plan to get an inexpensive one. Sway is practically non-existent. Towed nicely for 700 miles yesterday and today.

Cheers,
Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-01 18.10.00.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	171912  

Old 11-02-2012, 09:30 PM   #2
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Welcome Brian!
Great to have another Texan here!!!
Ask many questions and use the search function. You will get wealth of information on your new purchase.

WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Saint Helena , California
Absolutely awesome! Looks like ours when we started - you're going to have a great time with that thing. Congrats!

www.twpitchers.com
Wgbarrbevco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 12:37 AM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Welcome! More Texas Argosy owners, yay!!!

1 photo is woefully inadequate, y'know. We want more! What kind of condition are you starting with?

We've been very happy with the '75 Argosy24 we've had for about a year and a half. It wasn't without some needs, but was usable the day I bought it and I've been making it better. I wish you at least as good an experience with yours!

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Welcome to the forums from another Argosy owner. Mine is a work in progress(slowly).
Old 11-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
Welcome Hotpuppy,

Another Houstonian! Yea haw! Nice looking combo!

Ther are a few less expensive WD systems that include anti-sway, Anderson, Eqalizer 4, Reese, Inline, etc... Research them all and choose what fits your needs. IMHO, you should get an anti-sway with your short wheel base TV.

Anyway, enjoy your Argosy and use it often.

Sphere
Old 11-03-2012, 11:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' Pendleton
Commerce , Texas
I have a 72 Argosy 22. Really love it. Limitless possibilities on paint combinations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-672939888.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	171936  
Old 11-03-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
West Linn , Oregon
Welcome to the Forums! It's so nice to see another Argosy on the road. As mentioned above, we'd love to see more pictures when you have the chance. Enjoy your new trailer, and happy camping!
sharbours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:03 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Welcome! More Texas Argosy owners, yay!!!

1 photo is woefully inadequate, y'know. We want more! What kind of condition are you starting with?

We've been very happy with the '75 Argosy24 we've had for about a year and a half. It wasn't without some needs, but was usable the day I bought it and I've been making it better. I wish you at least as good an experience with yours!
I will be adding photos this week. Had a busy weekend with house projects involving plumbing (water and gas) and a new water heater in a new location.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forums from another Texas streamer!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
Overall condition is not as bad as I thought. The "list" so far is as follows:
Exterior:
- Trailer brakes need refurbishment replacement
- Propane tanks need to be replaced with OPD style
- Rust mitigation on end caps
- re-paint exterior
- Undo rigged up electrical (I have an exterior plug/switch combo that controls the fridge electricity and a plug under the steps.... don't ask, I have no idea why it's there)
- Belly pan needs minor work. There is some corrosion in the aluminum that has caused some rivets to no longer be useful. Plan is to remove, evaluate, and replace as part of larger projects.
- Some surface rust on the frame is visible. Will inspect and remediate with por-15 and appropriate reinforcement/replacement.
- Apply patches to "violations" (wierd plug/switch and holes that have been installed for TV and second heater)
- Awning has yet to be investigated, presumed original. This will be a buy or build item. I changed a furling sail cover and did some canvas work on my sailboat. The awning doesn't look as complicated as boat canvas work.
- I have an original AC unit. It makes noise, it blows air..... it might cool. If not it is probably a repair/replace. Would love to find something lower profile. Preferably something that would run on a EU2000.
- Need to fabricate window protectors.
- Consider adding dedicated breakaway battery and replacing the breakaway switch.
- I want to create a small "generator" box behind the propane tanks. Sized for a EU 2000 or similar.
- Tires need replacing. They got it here, but there are only in fair condition.

Interior:
- Minor cabinet work to center double bed.
- Minor cabinet work to Fridge side (one door needs a rivet installed in the frame.
- Oven is disconnected - need to see why and fix/replace.
- PO added a LPG heater .... cut a hole in side and ran gas pipe through side. Planned removal.
- There is a water leak in the front associated with the area of the water tank, need to investigate and remedy. If it involves tank replacement I may investigate adding capacity.
- Avacado green countertops violate the sanity of decorating and need to be dealt with (paint, overlay, replace)
- Cushions from 1973... need I say more?
- I have original curtains.... lol.... No idea what we are dealing with there.
- I plan to replace the copper plumbing with pex. It bears signs of inappropriate repair activity and Pex is simple and easy to live with.
- I plan to install a adequate gray water tank (street side under wardrobes). Both sinks can gravity drain to it. The shower is going to need a pump to get the water up high enough. Easy enough to do $100 penalty. I define adequate as 30 ish gallons btw. Most places prohibit dumping gray water and you need to be able to stay for at least 3 nights without running to the dump station.
- I plan to revisit the blackwater arangement... 10 gallons is tolerable, but small. I will probably relocate that but I need to see what the framing is like under the trailer. I'm leaning towards a macerator system. I have owned a couple of sailboats and I think the boat rule of toilets applies (If you did not eat it, and cannot eat it, do not flush it! Under penalty of you unlcog it!) Btw you can eat toilet paper.... not that you would, just that you could.
- I would like to consider using a retractable hose for the water fill and for the dump along with a valving arrangement that lets me control what we dump when.... Cost may require me to use a manual hose on both of the above. There is way too much "trunk" space to be keeping only a power cord in that bumper.
- Need to find somewhere to install a microwave.
- Need to check the water heater and furnace....
- Furnace vents don't go very far... it needs an outlet in the bathroom.
- Univolt makes enough noise to scare the dead... it needs to be updated and replaced with something more modern.
- Plan to install tank monitors as part of the bathroom/tank update.
- Plan to install laminate flooring
- Plan to install some sort of sound system.
- I am thinking about updating the lights to LED lights on the inside and outside.
- I don't think I have a coach battery. I want to consider having a pair of them anyhow. I'm still waiting on the keys... long story, they are on the way.

Overall it is in fair condition. It's a bit of a project, but not quite as bad as buying a shell and building it out.... (I just keep telling myself that... lol.) On a serious note I had considered buying a similar sized AS shell and building out the interior. I just thought it would turn into a 3 year never-ending project. I think the Argosy will be a 3 year never ending project too, but I could go camping with it next weekend if I wanted to and people wouldn't laugh me out of the campground for being in an empty trailer.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Houston , Texas
So for now..... the focus is:

1) Paint or not? I have seen that a couple of people have stripped them down and polished Argosy's.... other then the end-caps this appears to be do-able.

2) Best way to strip paint? Soda blast? Chem-warfare? Just paint over it? lol.

3) Best paint type? (I saw the marine paint someone did.... I have experience with that paint type and also with shooting rustoleum... prep is the same... I would rather use a vehicle paint. Marine paint is less forgiving in my opinion and I have the ability to spray paint (traditional or HVLP)

4) What type of rivets are best? It appears that the solid rivets are what is used on the shell... I'm a little new to rivets in general... other than inexpensive pop rivets and blind nut rivets. What gear do I need to do the rivets right?

Over the next week I will get the Argosy in my shop (garage) and then I can take pictures and really start working on her. I had a Lance truck camper previously and it's currently in the garage. It's new owner is picking it up this weekend. I'd like it to stay clean and aired out prior to be picked up.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Tuscola , Texas
Welcome! Glad to see another Texan. Can't wait to see more pics. Enjoy your new project.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotpuppy
So for now..... the focus is:

1) Paint or not? I have seen that a couple of people have stripped them down and polished Argosy's.... other then the end-caps this appears to be do-able.

2) Best way to strip paint? Soda blast? Chem-warfare? Just paint over it? lol.

3) Best paint type? (I saw the marine paint someone did.... I have experience with that paint type and also with shooting rustoleum... prep is the same... I would rather use a vehicle paint. Marine paint is less forgiving in my opinion and I have the ability to spray paint (traditional or HVLP)

4) What type of rivets are best? It appears that the solid rivets are what is used on the shell... I'm a little new to rivets in general... other than inexpensive pop rivets and blind nut rivets. What gear do I need to do the rivets right?

Over the next week I will get the Argosy in my shop (garage) and then I can take pictures and really start working on her. I had a Lance truck camper previously and it's currently in the garage. It's new owner is picking it up this weekend. I'd like it to stay clean and aired out prior to be picked up.
I don't have the answers to your paint questions,but as far as rivets there are different rivets for different uses.
Most importantly have you check your axles to see if they are in good condition? More than likely they are not any good if they are original.
Do a search on these issues and read as much as possible.
Enjoy your that cool trailer you got!
Mike