Old 03-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Has anybody used Bondic 'plastic welder?'

Looks like it could conceivably be The Answer for cracks in elderly end caps and the like....

BondicUSA

Old 03-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post
Looks like it could conceivably be The Answer for cracks in elderly end caps and the like....

BondicUSA
I have used it and have been highly pleased and impressed. However, the repairs I did were on relatively small items and were plastic. It is strong and easy to use, but I have my doubts as to how well it would work on larger areas, and I don't think it would make a really strong bond on metal unless care was taken to be sure the surface was rough enough for the Bondic to adhere to tightly.

It would also not be good to use to repair any crack that is subject to flexing. The Bondic makes a hard, solid bond that would tend to crack rather than to flex.

' hope that helps a little bit, but please feel free to ask questions if I am misinterpreting what you might be wanting to use it for.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 25' Tradewind
Metro Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks! Great info!
Old 03-16-2015, 06:27 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
Augusta , Georgia
Couple of Options:

I've been pretty successful fixing cracks in the endcaps of my 1973 using West Systems G-Flex epoxy. I first drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it (relieves the stress, something I learned in engineering school). For thin cracks you can use a Dremel tool to bevel the edge and then fill with the G-Flex epoxy. G-Flex comes in various sizes, the most convienent are two ketchup pack sizes. This pack will fix several cracks. Any marine supply store such as West Marine or Jamestown Distributor carry the West System products.

I think the end cap is actually an ABS plastic, so for large holes I "trimmed" about 2" off the end cap. Mine sticked under the inner skin about 6" so losing this part was not important. I then cut pieces and glued with ABS glue, the kind used for ABS pipe. I first tried the G-Flex in making these large repairs and didn't like the result so I went to this method. The ABS glue works for fixing cracks but can get kinda messy, especially if end cap is installed.

The repairs discussed above were done with end cap removed.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:28 AM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by drboyd View Post

BondicUSA

Are the 'elderly end caps' flexible? How brittle?

Does the 'fix' have to match color wise?

Depends on how you plan to repair...a flexible patch from behind bonded over the crack....I would try 3M 5200 Marine. Iv'e used it on the AS & the boat, it stays stuck!!!!
The toughest bonding sealer I've ever used and it stays flexible.

For an edge to edge butt repair...I'm not sure you'll find anything that will repair it permanently.

Bob